Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Why do people have cats ? What do you get out of it ? People say they aint easily trained, they go off roaming about the place, they are predators and kill a lot of small creatures that live about the place. Things not bothering anyone like shrews, small birds, frogs etc. Most are well fed by their owners so just kill for sports which usually just involves torturing.

All for what ? So you can just own something is it ? Feel like its your friend or part of your family just because its dependant on you for the over priced by products of the meat industry ? When the reality is you only wanted the cute kitten and long after the novelty has worn off its just routine to feed it because you have no other option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

My cat says snarf snarf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Would you rather he has chicken wire up or a dog capable of ripping your cat to shreds
    IMO you have to take responsibility for your pet and if he doesn't want your cat near his property he is entitled to stop you
    He can also get a certificate of some sort to not allow you to have your cat roaming around his property and can have the cat taken away if you breach it
    I personally hate having them near my house especially when my hawk is having a bath in the sun out the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Why do people have cats ? What do you get out of it ? People say they aint easily trained, they go off roaming about the place, they are predators and kill a lot of small creatures that live about the place. Things not bothering anyone like shrews, small birds, frogs etc. Most are well fed by their owners so just kill for sports which usually just involves torturing.

All for what ? So you can just own something is it ? Feel like its your friend or part of your family just because its dependant on you for the over priced by products of the meat industry ? When the reality is you only wanted the cute kitten and long after the novelty has worn off its just routine to feed it because you have no other option ?

Because we were offered a cat and took the offer. What's the problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dj jarvis wrote: »
    you own the cat , not me , keep it away from my garden and kids or ill kick more ****e out of it

Do you do the same to birds?! They sh1t alot too.

• Advertisement

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Because we were offered a cat and took the offer. What's the problem ?

You have a cat because you were offered a cat ? You just take whatever anyone offers you do ya, no other reasoning behind it ? You must have some amount of insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

gurramok wrote: »
    Do you do the same to birds?! They sh1t alot too.

nope , no one owns the bird , its wild , cat is owned and has a lazy assed owner who opens the back door and lets it crap in my garden
    the cats can be prevented , the birds cant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I like cats, but I also like garden birds. And my neighbours cats regularly roam into my garden in search of the latter. I don't see why controlling their pet should be my responsibility, but it is and it's pure ignorance on their part.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    nope , no one owns the bird , its wild , cat is owned and has a lazy assed owner who opens the back door and lets it crap in my garden
    the cats can be prevented , the birds cant

Must be a good reason why the cat goes to your garden instead of doing it at the owners, did you upset it anyhow or perhaps have a better "garden bathroom"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

cat owners offended that non cat owners dont appreciate their ****. what a thread. watch it run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No"?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Must be a good reason why the cat goes to your garden instead of doing it at the owners, did you upset it anyhow or perhaps have a better "garden bathroom"?

no idea why they pick my garden , not lots of birds , no rodents i know of ,
    so i have no idea , they really should know to keep away by now but just keep coming back

they could also be doing the same in other gardens , i dont know
    im just sick of it - lazy cat owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think people are missing the point here

The OP saw the fence going up, asked about it, neighbour told OP why he was putting up the fence. OP raised no objections, just asked that the sharp bits sticking out got clipped off so that the cat wouldn't get injured. If all the neighbour wanted to do was fence it off, he'd have clipped the sharp bits. Instead, it seems, the neighbour actually wants the cat to be hurt.

Madam_X wrote: »
    No"?"

So for why then ? Explain please why a cat as a pet is more important than the lives and well being of the countless little creatures it will torture and kill during its lifetime as your pet ?

And dont give me the "Cats kill, its what they do" line. They kill because you* have brought them into an environment in which they can kill and allowed them to do so freely. Just as dogs will kill sheep if allowed to. Thats not good, so why is a predator like a cat ok ?

*Not you personally, I dont even know if you have a cat. I'm just speaking generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Perhaps just provide an small area with soft soil so a cat can do its business? Ya know, its expected in an environment that animals and birds do their deposits in your garden, helping them would limit any damage to your garden.

Either that or build a roof over your garden! :)

So I should provide a ****ting area in my garden neighbours cats? Are you taking the piss or just deluded? Sure why not let my dog **** all over people's lawns and footpaths too sure the birds do it all the time.
    It's pretty simple I don't have an issue with cats but if they are using my garden as a ****ter then they won't be around long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So for why then ? Explain please why a cat as a pet is more important than the lives and well being of the countless little creatures it will torture and kill during its lifetime as your pet ?

And dont give me the "Cats kill, its what they do" line. They kill because you* have brought them into an environment in which they can kill and allowed them to do so freely. Just as dogs will kill sheep if allowed to. Thats not good, so why is a predator like a cat ok ?

*Not you personally, I dont even know if you have a cat. I'm just speaking generally.
    People just like them as pets - they see their good points. The stuff about just wanting a kitten and then no longer wanting them when they're grown but putting up with them is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I think people are missing the point here

The OP saw the fence going up, asked about it, neighbour told OP why he was putting up the fence. OP raised no objections, just asked that the sharp bits sticking out got clipped off so that the cat wouldn't get injured. If all the neighbour wanted to do was fence it off, he'd have clipped the sharp bits. Instead, it seems, the neighbour actually wants the cat to be hurt.

The problem its not with the cats doing their business in the garden, but more because he thinks that it is annoying his dogs which is a fair and valid point.

Have tried to reason with him but there is too much water under the bridge and we have both said and done things on each other so having a grown up conversation is off the cards....

It just comes down to fact that the fence he put up without permission looks crap and is an eyesore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The problem its not with the cats doing their business in the garden, but more because he thinks that it is annoying his dogs which is a fair and valid point.

Have tried to reason with him but there is too much water under the bridge and we have both said and done things on each other so having a grown up conversation is off the cards....

It just comes down to fact that the fence he put up without permission looks crap and is an eyesore.....

An eyesore for everyone. You two wouldn't last long up here. That's for sure.

People just like them as pets - they see their good points. The stuff about just wanting a kitten and then no longer wanting them when they're grown but putting up with them is not true.

It is in a hell of a lot of cases, just like it is with puppies, might not be true in every case but lets be realistic here, its the kittens and puppies that sell, not the rambling cat who comes home in the evening for a feed or the dog chained up outside barking. And what I'm asking is why do they like them as pets ? What do you get out of it that outweighs the fact they are predators ? You purposefully bring a predator into your immediate environment.

The life of the creatures the cat kills is not different than the life of the cat itself. And no different than the lives of any animal killed for sport, which most people would have an issue with. Yet owners are implicit in the death of all those little garden creatures because they brought the predator in to satisfy their want for a pet cat.

Any different than someone want to kill something ? Fire a gun ? Enjoy the hunt ? I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Tell that to the animals that cats have made extinct. Lets not pussy foot around the real issues here, A cat would kill/eat you and your entire family given half a chance.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    So I should provide a ****ting area in my garden neighbours cats? Are you taking the piss or just deluded? Sure why not let my dog **** all over people's lawns and footpaths too sure the birds do it all the time.
    It's pretty simple I don't have an issue with cats but if they are using my garden as a ****ter then they won't be around long.

What i'm saying its expected as cats can climb walls and travel between gardens. Its their nature to go travel around just like birds. Dogs would be the same except they can't climb garden walls.

Be prepared, you can lay some anti-cat stuff with a scent to repel any toilet action, its your responsibility to take care of your garden by taking preventative measures. Just like with birds, you can fend them off without any harm as they give dirt too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A cat would kill/eat you and your entire family given half a chance.

Then probably shit you out in the neighbors sand pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ehm.....don't know about other cat owners and obviously can't speak for them.
    I, however, have (not just one but) 2 cats BECAUSE it goes around killing those countless other little creatures and keeps them out of my house.

And also cause a mouse lying in the sun on the window sill just doesn't look quite the same.

And with regards to your comparison with sheep, as soon as sheep start coming into my house and chewing on the electrical wiring and insulation I'll have to find something to sort that out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

its your responsibility to take care of your garden by taking preventative measures.

No, it's the owners of animals responsibility to keep them from entering other people's property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

iguana wrote: »
    Plenty of people have indoor only cats or cats that are only allowed outside in enclosed runs. And those cats have an average lifespan that is 4-5 times longer than cats that roam out of doors. How and why people convince themselves of such blatant nonsense to the significant detriment of the pet they supposedly love is beyond me.:confused:

Feral cats on average live shorter lives, not domestic house cats who are granted outdoor access. I'm not going to repress the animals natural instinct when there's no need to. My cats spend time inside and out, I've never had a problem with them, my neighbours like them and appreciate their mousing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

its your responsibility to take care of your garden by taking preventative measures.
    So you've no problem if I capture Tiddles and have him put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What i'm saying its expected as cats can climb walls and travel between gardens. Its their nature to go travel around just like birds. Dogs would be the same except they can't climb garden walls.

I beg to differ, I know somebody who shot a neighbours dog with a BB gun because the dog would somehow (its a high wall) run up an down his back wall barking all day . . . And they are a dog lover ! ! I just think cats are a taboo topic and people who dont particularly love cats get the kind of "race card" treatment for pulling up owners lack of consideration for other neighbours. "Your saying that because its a cat!"

By the way, I also have two pet rabbits that I like to let have a run in my back garden. I have to worry more about other peoples cats then my own dogs. One time one of my rabbits was cornered by a cat . . Suppose its my own fault for having pet rabbits, should of been more considerate and think that cat owners expect their cats to be allowed everywhere . .

Will never forget getting a call from some one a couple of streets away asking if i owned a cat. Went round and there was our Sheridan asleep infront of their fire. Name tag worked!
    Have had several mice left on the doorstep by my cats, so they are deffo doing a good service.
    Just have to stop the naughty neighbours from feeding them.
    As for cat poo, we have a long strip of garden marked off with lots of bark and a few plants, I always see them doing their business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

maybe the cats freak him out.! Are your cats black?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Be prepared, you can lay some anti-cat stuff with a scent to repel any toilet action, its your responsibility to take care of your garden by taking preventative measures. Just like with birds, you can fend them off without any harm as they give dirt too.

A law prevents dogs from wandering not a wall, and will you please stop comparing a wild bird to a domesticated animal it makes zero sense.When you decided to get cat you should be responsible for its actions. If my dog was barking annoying neighbours I'd do something about it but your the type that reckons its a dog that's what they do.
    Why should I have to pay for products to keep your cat from ****ting in my garden. Anyway I find a well aimed stone or if close enough a crack of a bamboo cane works well.

Advertisement