Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor erecting a chicken Wire fence to deter cats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

padi89 wrote: »
    A law prevents dogs from wandering not a wall, and will you please stop comparing a wild bird to a domesticated animal it makes zero sense.When you decided to get cat you should be responsible for its actions. If my dog was barking annoying neighbours I'd do something about it but your the type that reckons its a dog that's what they do.
    Why should I have to pay for products to keep your cat from ****ting in my garden. Anyway I find a well aimed stone or if close enough a crack of a bamboo cane works well.

ooooohhhhh bamboo , i like your style
    must try that - good TTHHHWWWAAAACCCKKKK - MEOW from that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Think folks are getting confused here.

Its not dogs getting hurt we're talking about.. only cats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

wexie wrote: »
    ehm.....don't know about other cat owners and obviously can't speak for them.
    I, however, have (not just one but) 2 cats BECAUSE it goes around killing those countless other little creatures and keeps them out of my house.

And also cause a mouse lying in the sun on the window sill just doesn't look quite the same.

And with regards to your comparison with sheep, as soon as sheep start coming into my house and chewing on the electrical wiring and insulation I'll have to find something to sort that out as well.

There are other deterrents to keep mice out of your house, cats dont just kill the ones that chew on your wires they kill everything they can.

You'd find something to sort the sheep out ? Few tigers I presume to kill all sheep and anything else that moves like cows and horses and dogs and goats ?

Or would you just try find a way to stop the sheep because the sheep are the problem and not everything else that just happens to live in the area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Squ wrote: »
    Think folks are getting confused here.

It's neither. Cats and dogs don't care that your house looks like a prison for the criminally insane. The OPs other neighbours do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Squ wrote: »

For every cat running along a back wall in a housing estate there is a dog being tormented . .

If even just one cat showed some consideration for a neighbours dog, it may give that dog some respite from the constant teasing by local pussys running up and down his fence daily . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

hmmm wrote: »
    So you've no problem if I capture Tiddles and have him put down?

I do! :) If you see Tiddles, try be friendly. A cat will return the favour when you give it its respect.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I beg to differ, I know somebody who shot a neighbours dog with a BB gun because the dog would somehow (its a high wall) run up an down his back wall barking all day

By the way, I also have two pet rabbits that I like to let have a run in my back garden. I have to worry more about other peoples cats then my own dogs. One time one of my rabbits was cornered by a cat . . Suppose its my own fault for having pet rabbits, should of been more considerate and think that cat owners expect their cats to be allowed everywhere . .

I meant the usual high 6ft wall. Rabbits are usually kept in enclosures, why would you endanger it by letting it out in the open?:confused: Big wild birds have the ability to snatch rabbits as well a small cat for food.
    A law prevents dogs from wandering not a wall, and will you please stop comparing a wild bird to a domesticated animal it makes zero sense.When you decided to get cat you should be responsible for its actions. If my dog was barking annoying neighbours I'd do something about it but your the type that reckons its a dog that's what they do.
    Why should I have to pay for products to keep your cat from ****ting in my garden. Anyway I find a well aimed stone or if close enough a crack of a bamboo cane works well.

If a dog is barking alot, there must be a burglar about, its protecting your property even though its not your dog. I don't mind you firing a light stone to scare but don't throw rocks at it as cats suffer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There are other deterrents to keep mice out of your house, cats dont just kill the ones that chew on your wires they kill everything they can.

Yes, it's called a preventative strike....

What was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

There's not liking cats and then there's setting out to hurt the poor things. Anyone who does that is a gobshite IMO.

Agree with that.Don't like them myself but would not harm one.I'm a "dog person":)

OP, I wouldn't worry about the cats safety as they are fairly smart and unlikely to jump onto a sharp fence.I would let the council planning enforcement deal with that guy. A friend of mine was reported to them about 18 months ago for fixing cars in his garage and they are hounding him still!

Yes, it's called a preventative strike....

What was your point?

My point is that its a pretty dumb solution to a pretty simple problem. One which results in the needless deaths of a lot of creatures with absolutely nothing to do with the whole scenario.

I guess you're the type of person who just dont care about that though. Cant argue with ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gurramok wrote: »

I meant the usual high 6ft wall. Rabbits are usually kept in enclosures, why would you endanger it by letting it out in the open?:confused: Big wild birds have the ability to snatch rabbits as well a small cat for food.

The wall is about 8-9 feet high ! No joke, the dog used to run up and down it . .

Incidentally, I presume you have never had pet rabbits if you are wondering why I might let indoor rabbits run out in the back garden from time to time ? The biggest danger to them is local cats because my garden is nicely closed off and very safe!

Rabbits dont have to be kept in enclosures and it would take an eagle to lift my bunnies away . .

I can only speak from experience, I am yet to see a local crow/dragon try to lift my rabbit out of my garden but I have encountered cats (in two differant homes I have lived in) have an altercation with my bunnies . .

I dont let friends children near my rabbits unless they are supervised, I dont see why I have to entertain other peoples cats in my garden threatening my pets because "its what cats do"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

My point is that its a pretty dumb solution to a pretty simple problem. One which results in the needless deaths of a lot of creatures with absolutely nothing to do with the whole scenario.

I guess you're the type of person who just dont care about that though. Cant argue with ignorance.

you're right on 2 counts

1) no I don't care

and ....can I just refer you to my sig, I think we're done here.

you're right on 2 counts

1) no I don't care

and ....can I just refer you to my sig, I think we're done here.

Irony at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

gurramok wrote: »
    If a dog is barking alot, there must be a burglar about, its protecting your property even though its not your dog. I don't mind you firing a light stone to scare but don't throw rocks at it as cats suffer too.

Lol a burglar ! Nuisance barking is usually from a dog that's bored, not excercised or corrected by the owner or some just bark at anything or all day long. It's the owners responsibly no matter what to correct it, some people just don't give a **** at all and let it happen.
    I wouldn't throw a rock, I find a golf ball sized stone thrown a good pase has a good weight to thud noise when it's on the money.

squod wrote: »
    Cats and dogs don't care that your house looks like a prison for the criminally insane.
    And thats only the outside!

local pussys running up and down his fence daily . .
    Never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Drumpot wrote:
    I can only speak from experience, I am yet to see a local crow/dragon try to lift my rabbit out of my garden but I have encountered cats (in two differant homes I have lived in) have an altercation with my bunnies .

You sure? I've heard of small cats being catnapped by large birds!
    Lol a burglar ! Nuisance barking is usually from a dog that's bored, not excercised or corrected by the owner or some just bark at anything or all day long. It's the owners responsibly no matter what to correct it, some people just don't give a **** at all and let it happen.
    I wouldn't throw a rock, I find a golf ball sized stone thrown a good pase has a good weight to thud noise when it's on the money.

Ah i see, fair enough. I thought you meant a dog barking when its on guard duty :) Yes if a dog is barking all day long outside, its neglected, it needs TLC and thats the responsibility of its owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It is in a hell of a lot of cases
    A lot of cases? How do you know? I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm certainly not aware of any such cases. I only know people to keep cats as pets or rodent-catchers. You're entitled to your opinion that it's deliberate harbouring of a predator and has no logic but it's not like that; that's not how their owners look at it. So many people love cats for the qualities they have - they can be affectionate once they trust you, despite what the haters say. Little things like stroking their fur and the sound of their purring and them snuggling up to you can be very therapeutic, just like the little habits and tendencies dogs have (I love dogs too btw).

I know the killings by them are cruel and obviously a downside - I can't rationalise those.

What I can't fathom is the way there's such a rash of "bad-ass" boasts and backslapping here re cruelty to them... by people who pretend to care about birds (not referring to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Madam_X wrote: »
    People just like them as pets - they see their good points. The stuff about just wanting a kitten and then no longer wanting them when they're grown but putting up with them is not true.

Probably not the majority, Irish people just think cats should roam and keeping them inside or limited to the back garden is wrong.

I'd say getting a cat because it is easier to look after than a dog would be a common opinion, maybe not a majority, I don't know, but common, yes. The ISPCA published a piece last week about the perennial problem with getting pups at Xmas and people handing them in a week later, at least they are the lucky ones.

Again, the culture here is to let them roam, many wont even make them house pets. I'd say if we'd a culture of treating cats as house pets we'd have far less wanting to own them, and a big positive, a huge drop in the stray cat population.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

A lot of cases? How do you know? I'm not saying it's impossible but I'm certainly not aware of any such cases. I only know people to keep cats as pets or rodent-catchers. You're entitled to your opinion that it's deliberate harbouring of a predator and has no logic but it's not like that; that's not how their owners look at it. So many people love cats for the qualities they have - they can be affectionate once they trust you, despite what the haters say. Little things like stroking their fur and the sound of their purring and them snuggling up to you can be very therapeutic, just like the little habits and tendencies dogs have (I love dogs too btw).

I know the killings by them are cruel and obviously a downside - I can't rationalise those.

What I can't fathom is the way there's such a rash of "bad-ass" boasts and backslapping here re cruelty to them... by people who pretend to care about birds (not referring to you).

i mentioned birds so ill assume you mean me,
    birds dont **** in my garden and dont cause my kids illness
    i dont have to pick up bird ****
    i dont have birds fighting outside my bedroom window at 4am
    i dont have birds spraying piss onto my childs pram while sleeping
    i dont have birds sleeping on all the garden furniture and the bins STINKING them up

i could go on , so you see why i have less of a problem with birds
    as someone said a few posts back, you can not compare birds with cats
    some one owns the cat and is not looking after as they should

give me a good reason why i should put up with any of the above points because someone else owns a cat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I got a cat, he lives indoors with me, he goes out in the garden when I do, I certainly dont let him roam.

Some of the venom aimed at cats here is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

just putting this down, help yourselves

*saucer of milk*

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness a well looked after dog will rarely bark because it's bored and depending on the personality are excellent against burglars.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

IM0 wrote: »
    just putting this down, help yourselves

*saucer of milk*

milk give cats the runs. water ftw

efb wrote: »
    I got a cat, he lives indoors with me, he goes out in the garden when I do, I certainly dont let him roam.

Some of the venom aimed at cats here is awful.

but you are, from what you said in your post the type of cat owner that should have a cat
    unfortunately , the majority are not
    if you do what you said , then its proof it can be done , so why dont most do it ?
    the estate i live in is full of "wild" cats , none actually wild , just allowed roam.
    they get run over , some have mange , piss all over the place , just not taken care of as they should be .
    i dont really hate cats , i just hate the ones that ruin my garden and rugs , and the owners of these cats
    but if they dont stop them doing what they are doing , i have no other option other than resulting to booting them up the arse , so maybe just maybe , they will figure out not to **** in my garden , becasue the lazy assed owners are not getting it

Dj Jarvis I wasnt aiming that at you alone, just a whole bunch of ye. If you consider cats pests, that is your prerogative, but boasting and having an auld laugh at cruelty to them is unsettling to read. I know cats are killers but animals don't have a moral compass, humans do. Even dogs can kill smaller creatures, and do. I still love dogs though.

If you've got to scare them away, a humane method would be fair enough but getting pleasure out of torturing them is another matter entirely.

What illness are you referring too btw? Skim-reading sorry.

I do think people should have cat licences and spaying should be mandatory. Not neutering is grossly irresponsible and selfish.

Come on we all know the puppy for christmas stories, and its similar with kittens. People get the cute little cuddly thing and then as it gets older it becomes a chore to take care of it.

I dont hate cats btw, I grew up with animals and I know they can be affectionate when they are used to being inside. But as far as reasoning for owning one goes I dont get it. Having something to stroke and purr at me isnt a reason to get something thats going to kill everything in the area. You talk of respect for the cat but you need to respect the local habitat too. I just think its a little bit like saying "I dont like the fox getting killed by the dogs, but its worth it for me to enjoy myself".

I dont like suggestions of cruelty, but there is another side to it. And thats the attitude that the welfare of the cat isnt more important than other creatures and I'd agree with that. If its a choice between a cat and the amount of things its gonna kill in my garden then for me its the cat thats gonna lose out. Its not about being cruel, its about being realistic and seeing that a cat is no more important to a non cat person than the birds or the shrew. And a lot of people would prefer the birds and shrews in their garden than a cat.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    but you are, from what you said in your post the type of cat owner that should have a cat
    unfortunately , the majority are not
    if you do what you said , then its proof it can be done , so why dont most do it ?
    the estate i live in is full of "wild" cats , none actually wild , just allowed roam.
    they get run over , some have mange , piss all over the place , just not taken care of as they should be .
    i dont really hate cats , i just hate the ones that ruin my garden and rugs , and the owners of these cats
    but if they dont stop them doing what they are doing , i have no other option other than resulting to booting them up the arse , so maybe just maybe , they will figure out not to **** in my garden , becasue the lazy assed owners are not getting it

I got a cat, cos i couldnt leave a dog locked up 12 hours a day, some of the barking from the caged up dogs in my neighbourhood upsets me. I used to live in the countryside so im used to animals in the outdoors, but my cat is very content with a complete run of my house all day, and v affectionate when I get in.

I wasnt even a cat person before I got him (He was rescued as an abandoned kitten and I rehoused him when he was well enough)

Dj Jarvis I wasnt aiming that at you alone, just a whole bunch of ye. If you consider cats pests, that is your prerogative, but boasting and having an auld laugh at cruelty to them is unsettling to read. I know cats are killers but animals don't have a moral compass, humans do. Even dogs can kill smaller creatures, and do. I still love dogs though.

If you've got to scare them away, a humane method would be fair enough but getting pleasure out of torturing them is another matter entirely.

What illness are you referring too btw? Skim-reading sorry.

I do think people should have cat licences and spaying should be mandatory. Not neutering is grossly irresponsible and selfish.

i did not laugh at " cruelty " , if was talking about giving a cat a fright with a childs toy plastic pellet , and in fairness , this one tom ct was very lucky all it got

as for the illness , the medical term i dont know , but you get it from dog and cat **** , you get it into the blood stream either by cut or eye gland
    a girl who was a neighbor of mine in the early 80's , she was aged around 6/7 , fell in grass out side her house, rubbed her eye with the hand that had **** on it from falling over , she got ill , very ill , and the resulting affects were to give her some form of brain damage that resulted in her education ability stopping , she stopped mentally developing from the age of 7 , she still lives with her parents , is nearly 40 odd and is still a little girl , before the illness she was as normal as you like

maybe someone reading this knows what infection that caused this is called

all cause by some lazy ****er not cleaning up their pets ****

this is not going to happen to my kids, if owners dont keep their pets in their gardens then sorry for them
    the cats can be trained to use the litter box in a garden , most just dont bother

CroMagNon Man, it's simply a case that lots of people love cats for their good points, and having them as pets. The reasons may not seem logical to you but you can't expect them to share your viewpoint and it's definitely out of line to insist that because it's illogical to you it should be illogical to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Aren't the bells on cat collars on it to alarm birds so they can fly away?

An sorry but any animal has as much right as humans to live on this planet. Whoopdy doo so the cats sit on his effin wall an may poo in his garden..

Advertisement