Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoothie for Breakfast

• 09-01-2013 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I usually have a bowl of shreddies and half a glass of orange juice for breakfast, but have recently purchased a blender and have tried making smoothies recently.

Just wondering if they are healthy or unhealthy I have seen some conflicting reports here, ingredients are:

1 Banana
    Frozen Raspberries (about 2 tbsp)
    Frozen Strawberries (2 tbsp)
    Low Fat Natural Yoghurt (1.5 tbsp)
    Half a glass of low fat milk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's not they are healthy/unhealthy, it's that they are usually high in sugars and not very filling.

There isn't much protein in them.

It's better than the shreddies but not as good as say porridge or eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Just add a scoop or two of protein powder and some oats = Winner
    Oh and full fat greek yoghurt and milk.
    I don't find them filling though so if you're dieting they might not be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Just add a scoop or two of protein powder and some oats = Winner
    Oh and full fat greek yoghurt and milk.
    I don't find them filling though so if you're dieting they might not be ideal.

Was hungry earlier than normal today so was thinking of having a slice of homemade brown bread with it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

It's not they are healthy/unhealthy, it's that they are usually high in sugars and not very filling.

There isn't much protein in them.

It's better than the shreddies but not as good as say porridge or eggs.

Thanks for that I'm not a fan if porridge so will go the egg route

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

grab yourself a tub of coconut oil, have a spoon/fork of it either in or just before/after your smoothie. very filling stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

grab yourself a tub of coconut oil, have a spoon/fork of it either in or just before/after your smoothie. very filling stuff

I've heard this before but I never do it. Instead, I put dessecated coconut into my smoothies. Any idea what the pros or cons of this are?

I have no idea :)

i'd imagine coconut oil works out a fair bit cheaper, not knowing the price of dessicated coconut but at 6 euro for a 500g tub of oil it lasts me an age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't really think you can compare dessicated coconut with coconut oil.

They are too completely different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I usually add some oat bran and/or peanut butter to my smoothies for added calories and protein. Helps keep me going longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

+1 for adding Protein in and using Coconut Oil.
    Also +1 for Full fat yoghurt. I use to use fat free or low fat and my personal trainer friend said that they are a really bad idea as when they take out the fat out of these 'low fat' or 'fat free' food products they usually replace the fat with sugars, which causes insulin spikes resulting in craving more food.
    Can't go wrong by loading up with protein, you could chuck a handful of nuts in too maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My brunch smoothie is along the lines of this:

Apple
    Banana
    Orange/cranberry/blueberry juice (depending on mood)
    1 stick celery
    1 sprig broccoli
    1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
    1 tbsp flaxseed
    1 tbsp dessecated coconut
    1 scoop vanilla flavour whey protein

I sometimes add in some porridge oats if it is excessively watery. Tastey as fcuk and keeps me going for a few hours

man I can't wait until I'm finished with this weight loss kick and I can start adding calories into my diet with all these smoothies and whatnot i've seen posted here

I had a couple of these recently, delicious
    http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/smoothies/strawberry-smoothie

was surprised to see them sticking in protein powder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Would only have a smoothie for a snack and not as a main meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Whey + oats + nut butter + berries + milk is usually my MRP shake. Rarely have it though

Advertisement