Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlay Park Fairy tree

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any information on this? Like how it came to be or how long it is there?

Was up at it today and I noticed new doors, windows and even a washing line have been added.

7336227396_61448905af_z.jpg

7336223574_6edac4a1b5_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

Where abouts in the park is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

With your back to the train, walk towards golf course, left just before it. Continue on walking, left at next turn and its down a little bit on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Damn was only there at the weekend! Missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I usually get to it by walking up from the Markey entrance, go left and it's up on the right after about 5 minutes walk. I first noticed it about2 years ago when there were lots of little letters and wishes left in it and also some babies dummies hanging from it.have no idea how it started though, would also love to find out

So if I'm coming from the st Johns gaa entrance, is it before or after the dog park/small playground or am I going the wrong way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I've passed by this several times and never noticed the castle on the top!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mrsbananas wrote: »
    So if I'm coming from the st Johns gaa entrance, is it before or after the dog park/small playground or am I going the wrong way?

After - take the next right - the path that almost splits the park and if you keep going takes you to the Tea rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm regularly in Marlay Park and i've never seen or even heard of this before, in fact many (many, many!) years ago i built a model of Marlay House for my leaving cert construction studies project. I actually can't wait to check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I walk in the park regularly - I think* it only appeared a few years ago.

* Either that or I never noticed it before :o

juke wrote: »

After - take the next right - the path that almost splits the park and if you keep going takes you to the Tea rooms.

Thanks for this, hope to go see over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It only appeared in the last 2/3 years. I'm not sure if it was something that SDCC/Marlay themselves did or if it was a school project or something which has persisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Used to do a fair amount of running up there, never noticed it either until I stopped running the outline of the park and started running the different trails.

Found a video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pKjOwrFQzE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

St Michael's House are responsible for making it - you'll find a little info around page 11 / 12 on this:
    http://www.smh.ie/files/newsletter_spring2010_0.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would anyone like to link to a Google Maps or similar to show exactly where this yoke is? I've used Marlay for years and never seen it - is it here; http://goo.gl/maps/hrRCl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

RainyDay wrote: »
    Would anyone like to link to a Google Maps or similar to show exactly where this yoke is? I've used Marlay for years and never seen it - is it here; http://goo.gl/maps/hrRCl

Here it is here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/7XXOn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Here it is here:
    http://goo.gl/maps/7XXOn

Lovely - must check it out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My OH found it by accident when walking the dog one day. Like a lot of people, we are regularly users of the park and had no idea it was there.

It was ain early 2012, and as a Liverpool fan, he got a great laugh out of one of the wishes pinned to the tree. It just said " 4th place please. signed K. Dalglish"
    Obviously a rubbish wishing tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Must have a looksie at this the next time I'm home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The carving has been at the top of the tree for some years now as was the 'door' at the bottom, but it did not get any attention.
    But it is only in the last couple of years that people have started pinning things to the tree and the tree became an attraction in its own right.

In the last couple of months the extra door and windows were added.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Hey guys. I love this tree! I've no idea how it came about or who is responsible but I'm in total awe of it and respect their imagination and their artistic skills! It is sooo creative! It's magical to say the least and some very quick thinking parents have used it to their advantage to get their kids to give up their soother or dodies to the fairy's! :d

I love going up each time and seeing what new piece they've added. They now have a little bridge and everything!

I agree that its been there about 2 years now.. The tree used to have a big growth coming out of it and looked like it was diseased. I think they either cut it back for that reason or else it broke during a storm as I remember walking up one day and the diseased bit was all chopped off. A while later then they had the fairy castle on top with a door on the bottom! It was like that for about a year and then a few months ago they started adding more features: windows, more doors, more towers and a bridge.

If you walk past the garden where the cafe is and keep going straight through the bushes, past the duck pond on your left and keep following the path straight.. After about 5 minutes you'll then find it on your right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 misterbird

the `fairy tree` is an ongoing project,started couple of years ago for and with the clients of St. Michaels House,Templeogue,the brain child of art instructor;Paul O`Hare, more additions are expected during the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bessed

We went to visit the fairy tree today. The kids were amazed. They were so excited they didn't notice the top of the tree for ages.
    If you look in some of the windows you can see a stairs and a bedroom. At one stage the kids were even convinced they saw a fairy. They can't wait to go back a bring little notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I saw this today. It's near where I live.

I am a faery so I felt right at home. :P So nice to retreat to.

Was actually quite moving. It's perfect and it keeps growing!

Magic ! Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Arise dead thread. It's gone now. Looks knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I passed by it a few weeks back and there was not much to it compared to years ago. Sad to hear that it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Fairies are now being priced out of South Dublin, the housing market is ridiculous.

Advertisement