Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best paid career?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

From the universities in Ireland,which course is the best if all I care about is money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I would guess Actuary at UCD is the one most likely to lead to a high salary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pharmacy followed by some imaginative work in the garage?

**edit**
    I jest of course (well partly). I think in terms of making a high-ish salary fairly quickly, actuary would be one, but it's one where there are a limited number of positions.
    I have known many people who worked as actuaries, but left it due to the nature of the work. Some jobs just are not worth a high salary to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

spurious wrote: »
    Some jobs just are not worth a high salary to some people.
    Yep.

OP, you might think right now that money is the be-all and end-all, but really, it isn't. I've had a couple of jobs in the past that paid pretty well (considerably better than what I'm earning right now), but they were absolutely soul-destroying - I wouldn't go back to them for all the money in the world.

There's an awful lot to be said for enjoying your work: "find a job you like and you'll never have to work again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

There is a lot of jobs that pay really well like becoming a surgeon, an actuary, a trader or an auditor.

They generally involve a lot of study to become qualified and most likely have to work long hours sitting at a desk, getting fat and developing heart disease.
    Not sure that some of the jobs would be worth the money although some of these people dont work that much. So its not a general rule.

Maybe you are a workaholic and like office jobs and money then they would be right down your street. I'm not going to judge anyone but you kind of have to be a fairly lifeless person to persevere at some of these careers for years and years just so you can say you earn 100K at age thirty.

But my advise is find a job you like, have a ball up until age thirty and then when you naturally get mature and boring then focus on your career and making loads of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

They generally involve a lot of study to become qualified and most likely have to work long hours sitting at a desk, getting fat and developing heart disease.

Not to disagree with the thrust of your post on money being a false idol, but people in the professional classes tend to enjoy greater longevity, and aren't just plonked at a desk for forty hours per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

actuary is rated as the best job in america and its not just because of the pay. nice holidays, nice hours and low stress. this is what I intend doing and pay is not close to a main factor. it looks like a fantastic job for anyone who is good at maths but you have to be really good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The best paid career at the moment would probably be as a trader for a securities firm or a big bank. To get into that sort of job you have to be really sharp at problem solving and maths.

Courses that could lead into that include Actuarial Studies at UCD, Maths in TCD, Maths & Economics in TCD, Theoretical Physics in TCD, or Economics and Finance in UCD. Lots of other courses would be fine too, but I mention these as I know traders or trainees who have done each of these courses.

I also know a guy who got a trading internship in London this summer having done Economics and Psychology in TCD. The couse doesn't matter much (though maths and/or economics helps), it's more about how sharp you are. You just have to be cut out for it.

As for how much you'd be earning, it depends how good you are, but it wouldn't be uncommon in London to be earning over a million pounds p.a. by the time you're 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Boardzee

I'm graduating from the Actuarial course in UCD this coming year. If you are willing to work 12+ hour days, are quick with maths (when I say maths, I mean probability, mental arithmetic and problem solving) and willing to move to New York or London, I'm not aware of anything that pays better than working as a Trader. If you get into one of the big investment banks and turn out to be good at it, you can make some serious, serious coin; but you've gotta be **** hot.
    Your best bet of getting into one of these from a UCD perspective is doing the Actuarial or Economics and Finance course, I can't comment on the other universities but a mathematical background is what they look for.

As for me, although I'd like to think I could pick up a job as a Trader easily enough, I place far more value on my leisure time and enjoying work so I'm heading down the actuarial route.

While an actuary's starting salary is definitely in the top 25 percentile out of college (once you can pass the exams :D ), I have heard of Chemical Engineers and solicitors earning more. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Would it not be anaesthesiologists? They make a fortune, around €180k p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

i would say computer programmers and lawyers, also people with degrees in electronics, working with computers both hardware and software, always has good pay and a steady job. also a plumber is good pay and good income believe it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Any solid Business/Law/STEM qualification from a good University in Ireland would set you up nicely to earn an above average starting salary. It's more about what you do once in the job that'll result in better pay.

Long term aim would be to end up on the Board if you want to wear a suit, make decisions and most importantly (for yourself) earn a lucrative salary and bonus. (CEO, CTO, CIO, COO roles)

However, that'd take decades and at the best of times some tough work, stress and positions.

Advertisement