Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating existing basement.

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi bods.

I am looking at a property with a large basement, and want to get an idea of what it would cost to fit the basement as accomodation. It is currently empty with new doors/windows only, so would need internal walls for a kitchen, two bedrooms, bathroom and living space, plumbing, electrics, and normal fixtures & fittings.
    It is approx 1000 sq feet.

Pending further inspection, it doesn't need any thing structural. Will also give us good insulation/damp-proofing throughout.

Any thoughts on how much that might cost? I guess it's the same as fully fitting a gutted 2 bed apartment?

Thanks,

Dickerty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Without engaging the services of professionals to prepare a schedule of works and cost plan it would be very much a case of pulling figures out of the sky. Renovations at the best of times are difficult to budget, so an addition of a basement adds a whole lot more of additional unknowns.

Bear in mind if its an independent apartment, Part B of the regulations come into play which may require additional fire protection works tot he existing structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

About 70 to 90k depending on finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hootanany wrote: »

Thanks, I had estimated 80K. I know it is pie-in-the-sky, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't double or half that figure.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dickerty wrote: »

Thanks, I had estimated 80K. I know it is pie-in-the-sky, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't double or half that figure.

Cheers.
    +1 with archtech
    Have you ever heard the saying: there are known knowns, unknown knowns, and unknown unknowns. With info you have given there is no way of knowing..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Hootanany wrote: »
    What fortune cookie did you pull that out of? How in the name of god could anyone guess a figure based on the limited information supplied by the OP?
    Same goes for all those ''price per square foot threads'' Might as well be trying to guess Saturday nights lotto numbers as trying to price a construction job over the Internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What fortune cookie did you pull that out of? How in the name of god could anyone guess a figure based on the limited information supplied by the OP?
    Same goes for all those ''price per square foot threads'' Might as well be trying to guess Saturday nights lotto numbers as trying to price a construction job over the Internet

Years of doing said jobs its called experience

Advertisement