Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Sheep 2013

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Does anyone know when registration for Lost Sheep 2013 opens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

ChristyM wrote: »
    Does anyone know when registration for Lost Sheep 2013 opens?

Is it going ahead?? http://www.corktri.com/2012/12/14/lo...ired-urgently/

Opened in May last year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=77457308

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    Is it going ahead??

Don't tell me that!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Nothing at that link ???

Its listed on the Tri Ireland website...........i hope to do it again this year !

Nothing at that link ???

Its listed on the Tri Ireland website...........i hope to do it again this year !

I broke the interwebs

Try these

http://www.corktri.com/2012/12/14/lost-sheep-race-director-chief-marshal-required-urgently/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77457308

I feckin jinxed the event by deciding to give it a go this year! Sorry folks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks a lot. I know you're terrified I'll beat you but this is ridic...

Ugh etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I was hoping for this race to be my first 70.3.

Please please go ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is it not just a bit of laziness on behalf of the website in not updating to 2013 details - its national series this year so i see no reason why its not going ahead. I would expect a record entry with Galway gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    Is it not just a bit of laziness on behalf of the website in not updating to 2013 details - its national series this year so i see no reason why its not going ahead. I would expect a record entry with Galway gone as well

Its limited by size of transition.

• Advertisement

No race director in place, according to the last time I looked at the club site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

No race director in place, according to the last time I looked at the club site.

I guess thats why some clubs pay their race directors, as it has to be the worst job in a club to be the race Director. Would be a pity if that race wasnt happening this year. It's a brilliant one.

peter kern wrote: »
    I guess thats why some clubs pay their race directors, as it has to be the worst job in a club to be the race Director. Would be a pity if that race wasnt happening this year. It's a brilliant one.

Race directors definitely need to be paid. Although not with ALL the money from the race :)

peter kern wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »
    Race directors definitely need to be paid. Although not with ALL the money from the race :)

Where do you stop with this though? What about the race committee? Do 'volunteers' get paid for their time setting up / breaking down / marshalling?

I know there are serious races which have grown so much that they are no longer just club races and are serious money spinners for the clubs. But at the end of the day they are fund raisers for the clubs.

Would it be better to employ an event manager instead? Let them carry all the risk of planning, safety statements, coordination etc and have professional indemnity insurance too.

Would it be better to employ an event manager instead? Let them carry all the risk of planning, safety statements, coordination etc and have professional indemnity insurance too.

Hic sunt dracones

tunney wrote: »
    Hic sunt dracones

Which we don't talk about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Its often club members that take on the job at least in 2 big dublin clubs.

No what I meant was its dangerous to outsource running of races to race management companies. Its easy to lose control, and ultimately ownership of the races.

A race gets up by the club as a club fund raiser, outsourced, and the loose the race....... better to keep it in house but pay the RD a fee and retain ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

so back to "the lost sheep"...anyone know is it going ahead...was to be my first HIM distance race too..if its not going ahead then i need to find a new race to do!!

Trig1 wrote: »
    so back to "the lost sheep"...anyone know is it going ahead...was to be my first HIM distance race too..if its not going ahead then i need to find a new race to do!!

No, I'd say its 50/50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Cayo

90% sure the race director position has been filled so the race should be going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

What do people advice RE accommodation for this race? May be a few of us traveling so a house share is possible or is it better to be close to town?

What do people advice RE accommodation for this race? May be a few of us traveling so a house share is possible or is it better to be close to town?

Houses at the Kenmare bay hotel are top notch, and reasonably priced.

Edit: and you can use their pool/jacuzzi etc..

Houses at the Kenmare bay hotel are top notch, and reasonably priced.

Edit: and you can use their pool/jacuzzi etc..

Ya we stayed in one of the them last year and they were lovely, mrs jones enjoyed the pool/jacuzzi while i was up the mountains on a bike:P

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ChristyM

I was in contact with Cork Tri Club and the event is going ahead alright :)

Registration will open at some time around May.

Hi lads..I know this is an old thread but this is my first Half Ironman distance race and I'm planning on getting sponsorship to do it in aid of Cancer research (will be looking for sponsorship off everyone :D:D)...can anyone who did it last year let me know what i'm in for?? whats swim like? fast? is it hilly? how hilly? what gearing would i need on bike? tt bike or road bike?? is the run hilly? flat? fast?....I'm hoping to finish in under 5hrs30mins..am I kidding myself...aiming for 30-35min swim, 2hrs45mins bike and under 2hrs for run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now Trig - if you are going to look for money off me I wont be giving it to you for an easy jog around Cork. Ye Limerick guys are all sandbaggers - was BennyMul targeting a sub 14 Ironman at one stage

I will be expecting a much more challenging time from you which you are well capable, perhaps sub 5:10 is more appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

... whats swim like? fast? is it hilly? how hilly? ........

Flat enough from what I remember. But then it is Cork :D

Now Trig - if you are going to look for money off me I wont be giving it to you for an easy jog around Cork. Ye Limerick guys are all sandbaggers - was BennyMul targeting a sub 14 Ironman at one stage

I will be expecting a much more challenging time from you which you are well capable, perhaps sub 5:10 is more appropriate

Ha ha...l am secretly hoping to go as close to 5hrs as possible but don't want the "public" to know that :D.... p.s. kenmare was in kerry last time I checked.. lost sheep is in kenmare is it????. Jeez if not i'd better change my hotel booking.. :P

• Advertisement

p.s. kenmare was in kerry last time I checked.. lost sheep is in kenmare is it????. Jeez if not i'd better change my hotel booking.. :P

Was thinking the same thing. Travelling with a Dublin passport could have given me immigration issues in Cork ;)

Advertisement