Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Sheep 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

McCrystal destroyed the field on the bike again by the looks of it - almost 6 minutes ahead of the 2nd best bike. Not bad run and swim times either for a man that hasn't done either this year.

No sign of any penalties for him but I don't think that Sportstiming company display them anyways - 5 minutes for crossing a line seems a bit excessive though and I doubt there is anyone in this country near good enough for him to bother with drafting.

Now if it was for a bare torso I could understand it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A 5 min penalty for crossing t2 line... Surely only a 30 sec infraction ?

It's 2 min penalty in an olympic so 5 min for him would be about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

catweazle wrote: »

No sign of any penalties for him but I don't think that Sportstiming company display them anyway

Was a stop and go so will be included in overall time, not sure whether bike or run split though

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's 2 min penalty in an olympic so 5 min for him would be about right?
    Where did you see that? This is what the ITU says (though I had thought they were longer penalties than shown, and middle distance is not specified.)
    49.Dismount the bike after the dismount
    line;
    - Age-Group: Stop and Go when amended
    - Elite: 30 seconds in the penalty box (Long distance)
    - Elite: 15 seconds in the penalty box (Standard
    distance)
    - Elite: 10 seconds in the penalty box (Sprint distance

Also, I think what the Marshall said was that it was for crossing the 'white line' which I took to mean the centre line on the road, not the dismount line

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

j0hn1 wrote: »
    Also, I think what the Marshall said was that it was for crossing the 'white line' which I took to mean the centre line on the road, not the dismount line
    That can mean a dq, so to get just a penalty would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

The timing guy I spoke to said 5 min penalty for crossing the dismount line. I think the penalty box was just before t2 so it'd be in his bike time. His trans times are too short to have done it in t2. Nobody else came in during the 5 mins.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I believe it was from crossing white lines on descents but not certain will ask him.

His run time includes the 5mins! He had a great run.
    Fair to say he would have won it either way as he came off bike with a 6min lead (would have ran slower if no recovery but massive lead so deserved win hands down).
    He passed me around 20km, held on up hill then got smashed on downhill and he was gone like a bullet.

I was 5th today, ok swim, down on power on bike in last while but did well considering and ran well on tough course so happy to have got best out of current fitness.

Course and race is epic, rain and wind on bike and rain on run. All good and very enjoyable race in a stacked field.
    Owen martin ran passed me up a hill at 17k like I was walking.... then ran past mark nolan to take 3rd so in good kona run shape.

Very honest course indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well done Fazz! You took some nice scalps! Thats some going by BMC!

Its a great race, I might be back to it next year considering last year was done untrained and i want revenge! I really enjoyed it last year. Have they changed the course a bit again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Was the bike only 80k? Is that due to roadworks or something or is it always that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

5:15 for me today. Delighted with that- I've been injured a lot of the summer and was happy just to be at the startline.

I took it handy on the bike to save a bit for the killer run. Did 1:33 for the run on a savage hilly course - I counted 59 people that I passed and nobody passed me so that's some buzz. It's great to pass people on the run because that's automatic GC placing - they ain't gonna pass you again.

Outstanding race and an outstanding course. Some challenge.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Was the bike only 80k? Is that due to roadworks or something or is it always that way?

The bike was 82k. Believe me that's easily tougher than most of the 90k HIM courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

The bike was 82k. Believe me that's easily tougher than most of the 90k HIM courses.

I appreciate that, just wondering if its a one off or is it always that way? I assumed given the reputation of this race that it would be fairly standard in terms of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Fazz wrote: »
    I believe it was from crossing white lines on descents but not certain will ask him.

His run time includes the 5mins! He had a great run.
    Fair to say he would have won it either way as he came off bike with a 6min lead (would have ran slower if no recovery but massive lead so deserved win hands down).
    He passed me around 20km, held on up hill then got smashed on downhill and he was gone like a bullet.

I was 5th today, ok swim, down on power on bike in last while but did well considering and ran well on tough course so happy to have got best out of current fitness.

Course and race is epic, rain and wind on bike and rain on run. All good and very enjoyable race in a stacked field.
    Owen martin ran passed me up a hill at 17k like I was walking.... then ran past mark nolan to take 3rd so in good kona run shape.

Very honest course indeed.

What percentage of your FTP do you aim to try hold on a middle distance bike leg ? You put down a great splits at the other 2 middle distance races this year on the bike, are you not as happy with todays effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

EC1000 wrote: »
    I appreciate that, just wondering if its a one off or is it always that way? I assumed given the reputation of this race that it would be fairly standard in terms of distance.

It's standard. That's the loop distance.

Briando wrote: »
    What percentage of your FTP do you aim to try hold on a middle distance bike leg ? You put down a great splits at the other 2 middle distance races this year on the bike, are you not as happy with todays effort?

85% which is what I held in Tri an Mhi.

In Humbert I was down 10 or so watts and at lost sheep down another 10 so 20+ less than May.
    I wouldn't say I held 80% or so in recent races, id say my ftp has dropped since may and I prob still held ~85% ish.

So whilst Im not happy to know since May I'm down on power, but I knew this from the last 8 weeks or so as I haven't responded well to last block or so of training stimulus.
    I am happy that I executed as best I could on the day and didn't leave any time out there so have no complaints on current fitness I got the best out of myself which is all I can ask for.

Im also happy that my run has improved and the training block done will stand in good stead for future hopefully and ive learnt more about what suits and works for me I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Briando wrote: »

As Fazz said about 85% with the pro's and strongest bikers able for about 90%

On the distance front, the 83km of that course is enough!! ITs a lot harder than most and that BMC split was simply amazing especially if it includes a 5min penalty!! Mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Fazz wrote: »
    85% which is what I held in Tri an Mhi.

In Humbert I was down 10 or so watts and at lost sheep down another 10 so 20+ less than May.
    I wouldn't say I held 80% or so in recent races, id say my ftp has dropped since may and I prob still held ~85% ish.

So whilst Im not happy to know since May I'm down on power, but I knew this from the last 8 weeks or so as I haven't responded well to last block or so of training stimulus.
    I am happy that I executed as best I could on the day and didn't leave any time out there so have no complaints on current fitness I got the best out of myself which is all I can ask for.

Im also happy that my run has improved and the training block done will stand in good stead for future hopefully and ive learnt more about what suits and works for me I feel.

Looking forward to the report dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Great race, very tough course.

A bit of hot food at the finish line would have been nice, a lot of wet & cold people around there. Also, absolutely no bike security.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done folks. Has me thinking and hoping to get there for 2014.

Nice clip here from the weekend

• Advertisement

looks like Bryan McCrystal served the 5 mins as part of his run split and not bike

9697467360_07b58d0720.jpg

THE GOOD STUFF
    1. The course – stunning, beautiful, wild and tough. There was a real test for everybody
    2. The field – some lineup of talent. Great to see the top players (or most of them) in action
    3. The usual low-key but very effective stewarding, marshalling, checkpoints, help stations etc. With a great bunch of volunteers and the guards, Cork Tri have this event nailed from the org point of view
    4. Location of the finish – great to run from the wild countryside through the edge of Kenmare down to the big finish in the town centre
    5. The start – some buzz as 350 swimmers gave it holly in the dawn to get the show on the road
    6. Safety on the swim – a huge number of ribs, jet skis and canoeists shepherding the swimmers around the course
    7. Transition location – right beside the swim – some improvement on the abandoned hotel across the river

COULD DO BETTER
    1. No bike security
    2. Unfair setup of transition, low numbers had to run no distance with their bikes, high numbers had to run long distance through a busy transition to get in / out
    3. Cheap cycling gilet as the event garment (in black for some reason). This is a small thing but either do a decent garment or don’t bother with it
    4. Very limited food and drink at the finish line – after 5 hours on that course a few cakes or a snickers is a bit of a joke. You get a way better feed after a 5 mile road race

pgibbo wrote: »
    Well done folks. Has me thinking and hoping to get there for 2014.

Nice clip here from the weekend

Me too. Hoping To do Humbert as well so long as it they suit.

Edited as a tad too long from my blog/twitter if anyone wants the full lowdown.

Firstly good to put some faces to names pete and Alan nice to meet you both, hope you had great races as missed you at end and was a tad drunk at the awards thereafter :)

Swim - 28:28 - 25/292 - 1.8km so 100m short

Positioned myself well for start, had Niall Somers for company and Trevor Woods ahead to try get a draft. Well that lasted all of 50 metres before I was losing ground and people passing a bit.
    Got some good drafts, took a good line overall, and no complaints about swim other than my technique is lacking which is something I'm working on. My catch is not good shall we say!

Out of the water in 25th, a 28min swim but it was 100m short.

T1 - not the quickest not the slowest. struggled a little with wetsuit around ankles but was on my merry way shortly.

Bike - 2:21:50 - 5/292 - 80.3km or so

Flying mount went well, feet into shoes not so much but I was soon on my way.
    Passing a few on the opening 10km or so, nutrition in place and starting the first climb.
    Woosh.... woosh.... sh1t... not already?
    Yep, it's Mr McCrystal out of the saddle passing me on the climb with ease.
    Right, I up the effort and try to stick to him. I'm about 15m back but matching pace.
    He takes a slight glance back at one stage, then starts to make more progress.

I look back and see Niall Somers behind as I shake my head. "Beast" was the word that meant Niall but I figure you got the message eh!
    Up the first hill and start the descent, BMC is just about in sight and disappearing rapidly.
    I close on 3 others down here and then see someone pulled in at the bottom (Trevor Woods), he was too cold, has no body fat and needed more clothes. I didn't realise who it was at the time though and carried on.

Starting the Healy pass, one of the main 2 climbs on the course and Niall makes a move past me.
    I keep him just ahead, we pass a couple and he is out of the saddle a bit. I'm seated and doing ok so carry on.
    Niall opens a gap towards the top of Healy as we both pass Mariusz and I get a shout of 6th place at the crest.

So down Caha pass with Niall ahead and a couple in the distance barely visible.
    I was a tad slow to descend on the rough roads, and Niall opened a gap at the next aid station and made a move.
    He was out of sight for 5k ish then the road opened up to a wide long section on a gentle ascent part and I could see 2 up ahead.
    Niall was one and Mark Nolan the other and it took me an age or about 8km to close any ground.
    Near the last incline Niall started to pull further ahead and I closed to 5th place.
    I passed Mark shortly after and the road was back to country style with not as much visibility up ahead.
    Niall was out of sight now as I turned for the next big climb up Caha Pass.
    I tried to up the effort here, a long slow climb and I saw someone ahead at one stage but wasn't closing.
    Down the descents, down the rough road part and onto the flat last 15km into T2.
    Some long straights here and no one up ahead. Then I turn a bend for the last 2km and suddenly someone is in sight. Weird, didn't make sense but seemed they were blowing up/having issues.
    I closed to Owen Cummins at T2 but didn't get past before the no pass bridge so stayed behind into t2.

When you come into T2, the run course goes back out against and you can track from km1 back to t2.
    How surprised was I to see BMC only just on the bridge as I came over it - so circa 4mins ahead.
    I didn't know of his 5min stop go penalty at t2 here which clears things up a bit eh! He nailed the bike and whole day to be honest he has so much strength endurance it's unreal.
    So Charles is maybe 30secs back, then Niall leaving t2 around 2mins down and that's the top 3.
    Owen Cummins and I into T2 then. maybe 1.5mins behind Niall so pretty close at this stage.

T2 - how hard is it to get wet socks on??? Tri an Mhi all over again except I'm already minutes down and in 5th. Eventually manage it and Owen is gone so I'm catching him over the bridge.

Run - 1:25:04 - 7/292 - 21km

So into first km and I pass Owen Cummins a little too easily. He's grazed on his shoulder so had a fall on bike and obviously not a good day for him as he doesn't come with me.
    I'm running by feel, feeling strong to be honest and concentrating on form.
    Mark Nolan enters T2 1min ish behind me and I know he's a fast runner so a lot to fight for.
    Over the bridge and I see some more fast runners coming in on bikes - circa 3mins behind at least - Trevor Woods, Owen Martin, Noelie Kavanagh and co so got some fast feet chasing me!

The course goes out to a turnaround at 7km so this is my next chance to clock any progress.

At the 5.5km mark I hear feet behind me. Now I'm running well for me, clocking sub 4min/km's and holding pace well. It's Mark Nolan and he's in good form. I try latch on here and we are running similar pace now clocking 4min/km's on rolling section and holding strong. Mark pulls a slight gap on inclines and I close on declines.
    We get to km6 and see BMC flying along against us so about 4.5mins ahead. A couple mins back then is Charlie followed by Niall a bit back. Mark and I are holding pace, not gaining just yet but not losing.

Mark moves in front a bit around the 10km mark and pulls a gap but is within sights still.
    He closes and passes Charles about 14km and I close around the 16km mark. So still in 4th now and hoping some carnage is up ahead.

At the 17km mark I hear feet behind... I nearly shouted back is that you Noelie!
    But then Owen Martin passes me on a climb like I was walking. Man he was shifting.
    I try latch on but no chance, see Mark still up ahead and fight on.

I'm not making any progress, they pull a gap and I'm holding pace but not fast enough to increase the effort as much as I try.

Cross the finish line in 5th, a good result and I'm happy to have got the max out of my current fitness.

My best run on a hard course is a strong positive as it's been the bane of my analysis for some time now.

Bryan actually ran a 1:23 on that hard a course off that epic bike split.
    Can't argue with that. Epic performance all round and hands down what a win.

In many ways this was like a National Championships with such a competitive field only missing 1 or 2 from Tri an Mhi but with more others. I had a few battles and it was tough conditions and tough racing out there.

Lost Sheep was a great race. A very hard honest course and I highly recommend it to anyone.
    The podium at the finish with champagne was a good touch, the big cheque for winners at prize giving also fun.
    Surprised not to see any Trophy's for such a prestigious race but I guess you can't have everything.

Having raced this I now know why it has such a great reputation and sells out every year.
    Keep up the good work and I will hopefully return next year in better shape to try reach the podium steps.
    Very well organised, race went seamlessly, course is fantastic and the competitive field great to race against.
    A few areas to improve upon would be more bike marshals on the bike course but at least the course profile eliminates a large portion of drafting offences I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done Fazz, great racing feel to the report. You are mixing with elite company there!

Thanks for that Fazz, I read the longer version of course :) Going through a bad patch and trying to find my mojo and its reports like yours that remind me why I enjoy racing...it's the personal battles and pushing yourself to the limit, getting to your red line and staying on it, below it and a bit above it as you make your final push. Great result and great season dude.

Great read Fazz. Congrats on a cracking season.
    Some down time now or have you more races planned?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Great read Fazz. Congrats on a cracking season.
    Some down time now or have you more races planned?

Cheers.

Not quite party time just yet...
    I added Blacksod to the race list a couple weeks back when I knew I was in a rut and training was then adjusted to suit.
    Figured I'd like to do another race to see if I can see any benefits from an extra couple weeks.

After Blacksod will be 2 or so weeks of nothing.
    Most are in off season mode after the Irish Contingent does London this weekend I'd say!
    And you?

Lough Key was my last outing for the season. All the best for Blacksod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Did it take long for this to sell out this year? Hard to tell exactly from reading through the thread. I've vague notions of doing something longer distance next year and the secenery looks incredible, though painful.

Advertisement