Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocking Issue iPhone 5

• 09-01-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My sister's boyfriend bought her an iPhone 5 from a Meteor store on pre-pay. Which means the phone is locked to Meteor but I'm pretty sure he still paid the full unlocked price (:rolleyes:).

She wanted to switch to a different network so she ordered a new SIM from the new network (48) and ported her number over only to realise afterwards that her phone is locked. Derp I know.

Now the problem is that Meteor want her to spend €130 on credit to unlock it. And I can't seem to unlock it myself. All of the tutorials etc are for <4S.

So any advice anyone? She's also going abroad for 3 months soon so really needs it unlocked by that stage. Would they have to provide the code consider that? Or are they perfectly within their rights to refuse?

Oh I also heard that the unlocking shops in town are only unlocking Vodafone and O2 iPhone 5's? Anyone know if that's true - seems weird.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Just realised that the unlocking sticky is actually a discussion thread too. Sorry, mods feel free to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

48 are a terrible network. For the same 20 euro a month you get unlimited texts to everyone and unlimited internet with three. With 48 you get horrificly bad internet speeds, compared to the 500kb/s up and down connection I get from three when at full signal. 48 are okay if you just want the calls and texts, but for the 20 euro you need to pay for a tiny amount of internet too, it's totally not worth it. Stick with o2, 3, meteor or voda, and since she wants the cheaper option go with 3 if she can

Doesn't help with wanting to unlock it, but really don't waste your (her) time with 48. They're terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

48 are a terrible network. For the same 20 euro a month you get unlimited texts to everyone and unlimited internet with three. With 48 you get horrificly bad internet speeds, compared to the 500kb/s up and down connection I get from three when at full signal. 48 are okay if you just want the calls and texts, but for the 20 euro you need to pay for a tiny amount of internet too, it's totally not worth it. Stick with o2, 3, meteor or voda, and since she wants the cheaper option go with 3 if she can

Doesn't help with wanting to unlock it, but really don't waste your (her) time with 48. They're terrible

I'm actually on 48 myself and find them grand? They use the same cells as O2 so the internet seems ok. I compared it with the 3 deal. For the same price you get unlimited everything as opposed to unlimited everything bar weekday calls with 3. The only advantage I can see with 3 is that at the end of the month, provided you didn't spent it on weekday calls, you can still have credit.

In any case I'll let her decide that but I still have the unlocking problem :(

Advertisement