Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And you thought your landlord's rules were bad...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

repsol wrote: »
    Move in,tell him I am paying him nothing and he will have to go to law to get rid of me(takes months and cost a fortune)

Not if he is an owner occupier it doesn't. You'd be out as quick as the Guards arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm pretty sure he's looking for a gimp to do some love/hating with. Probably has the room ready with all the gear in it.

Edit,
    Serious answer: Maybe he's in trouble with his mortgage and under pressure from the bank to rent out a room, but the idea of sharing his space with anyone is hellish to him. So he puts up an ad that pretty much ensures no takers and can tell the bank he's advertising but can't rent the room out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Do people Generally In house Shares have a "Ground Rules Guide"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ronan45 wrote: »
    Do people Generally In house Shares have a "Ground Rules Guide"?

If you're sharing with others it is usually a good idea although I have never seen it in practise.
    If you are a lodger i.e. living with the owner occupier (as seems to be the case here) then there could be any number of rules such as access to different parts of the house, guests etc

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not if he is an owner occupier it doesn't. You'd be out as quick as the Guards arrived
    What crime would I be committing for the Guards to get involved? If I were invited in and paid any rent/deposit, any subsequent dispute over rent would be a civil matter and the Guards wouldn't want to know.The Guards aren't some private militia to work as henchmen for scumbag landlords.They are there to enforce the law.

• Advertisement

If you are living with an owner occupier you are a licensee and are there at their forbearance. You have very few rights in this kind of arrangement. If they ask you to leave and you refuse you are trespassing. There are no notice periods and the PRT act does not apply.
    In fact the landlord is protected in this case under the constitution.

Obviously common sense would dictate a notice period but if you are antagonising the LL (I know you posted in a lighthearted manner so not trying to get too serious here) in this way he can evict you pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What crime would I be committing for the Guards to get involved? If I were invited in and paid any rent/deposit, any subsequent dispute over rent would be a civil matter and the Guards wouldn't want to know.The Guards aren't some private militia to work as henchmen for scumbag landlords.They are there to enforce the law.

Trespassing presumably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

delta36 wrote: »
    Breathing out is permitted in the house, breathing in must be done outdoors as it is MY oxygen..

as how I feel

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If you are living with an owner occupier you are a licensee and are there at their forbearance. You have very few rights in this kind of arrangement. If they ask you to leave and you refuse you are trespassing. There are no notice periods and the PRT act does not apply.
    In fact the landlord is protected in this case under the constitution.

Obviously common sense would dictate a notice period but if you are antagonising the LL (I know you posted in a lighthearted manner so not trying to get too serious here) in this way he can evict you pronto.

I stand corrected,you are right.(very rare for anyone on Boards to admit to not knowing everything!)People sharing with their landlords have NO RIGHTS AT ALL even if they only live with landlords 'relatives! Surprising in this day and age when the law is so much in favour of other types of tenants.I'd have to content myself with throwing a few pork sausages at the landlord as the cops dragged me and my extra heaters out!:D.I actually rented out rooms in my first house and knew none of this.If I had been better informed I would have been a right c**t all together:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That list reads like a scam to screw desperate (you would be if you agreed to that list) people looking for somewhere to stay. Whomever wrote it knows what they can get away with regards lodgers (who have very few rights in the UK, similar to the situation in Ireland), and it's so full of contradictions & "if I feel like it" and other equally immeasurable statements (e.g. what constitutes excessive noise?) that would make it near impossible for someone to not breach those rules even once in a short space of time. The rules look deliberately engineered to make it as difficult as possible to abide by them over time, and it all appears to comes down to "if I feel like it, then you're out the door and I'm keeping your deposit because it's not protected and because I can".

In any case the list infers absolutely no civility or modicum of respect for those seeking a room from the landlord/lady. That'd be a horrible, horrible environment in which to live, regardless of the batsh*t insane rules scam.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected,you are right.(very rare for anyone on Boards to admit to not knowing everything!)People sharing with their landlords have NO RIGHTS AT ALL

It depends, i think. If you sign a lease/agreement for a bedroom and right of access to the common areas, then you would have some security.

It depends, i think. If you sign a lease/agreement for a bedroom and right of access to the common areas, then you would have some security.

No,I assumed that too but when I looked into it they have zero rights.Don't like it here ,go somewhere else,simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Landlord reminded me of this guy.

.If I had been better informed I would have been a right c**t all together:D

All his list is short of is the right of Prima Nocta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Thing is that the place is in London and right now, rents are insane in London so desperate folk will do desperate things to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, it's funny. But I'll wager that it's real - and necessary.

There is a certain type of house share, which I haven't see in Ireland, but have seen overseas 10-20-30 years ago. Basically like long term BnB, with limited access to kitchen facilities.

The people who live in this sort of situation usually have some problems in their lives. Maybe just poverty/low pay - but usually some lower-level mental health issues, learning disabilities, etc. Whatever. Lots of them need structure to be provided for them (someone else pays the powerbill, buys the toilet paper, locks the front door, cleans the bathroom, etc).

A person who is running a house share for these folks will eventually end up writing a set of rules like the one here, or having a zillion signs stuck up around the place. They keep the environment controlled, 'cos the residents can't do it themselves.

The person (male or female)who wrote this has bad English, and certain religious leanings. They have also almost certainly had some bad experience (the list is getting increasingly long). They may be an assh*le (the no living space at all is a bit OTT) - but not necessarily, I wouldn't assume from this list. And if they're providing a peaceful, clean living solution to some people who wouldn't otherwise have it, I don't see a problem - though personally I won't be lining up as a tenant.

Oh - and anyone who had ever provided home-stay accommodation to students from certain cultures will 100% understand the shower length run. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Here Comes Self Inflicted Injury
    Trouble!!! How come everyone assumes this is a man!!? It sounds like a total hysterical woman to me. No man could ever Be that mad.

< ducks hysterical shoe throwing mob>

+
    Only a few years ago at the height of it; I answered an ad for a house share in Ballsbridge near the Dutch embassy. The house owner refused me because I was Irish ! ( they were Irish -" only foreigners wanted!!"). As it happened my friend from Itally ended up moving in & seriously this list is like what they had to put up with. There are LUNAtICS amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How come everyone assumes this is a man!!? It sounds like a total hysterical woman to me. No man could ever Be that mad.
    Let's not speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Here Comes Self Inflicted Injury
    Trouble!!! How come everyone assumes this is a man!!? It sounds like a total hysterical woman to me. No man could ever Be that mad.
    Victor wrote: »
    Let's not speculate.

According to the tweets on the matter by the woman who was handed the list, it was a guy. To sum up, and then quote: She got handed the list as she was leaving the viewing. Her last tweet on the subject that I recall was "And he seemed so normal".

• Advertisement
Advertisement