Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media request re new EU directive

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

pmcmahon wrote: »
    im seriously thinking of stockpiling nicotine.
    Not much point yet pc, it supposidly has a lifespan of 2 years, this directive might not come in for another 3 years meaning all you stockpile now will be fit for the bin before it comes in, if it does come in, in it's current wording then just before the deadline is the time to stockpile (you and everbody else so I hope production lines will be flat out to handle the demand)

Anyone know where I can buy a thousand 0.5 ml bottles :D

I met a fellow vaper the other day and got talking (well cigalike vaper and aware of the tobacco directive) and she is fine with the directive :eek: and she makes out that ecigs are not being banned for our use, nic products will still be available to everyone, all we have to do is buy the stuff from chemists when it's made a medicinal product. I can tell you is she had balls and a moustache instead of boobs and plucked eyebrows I'd have ****ing clocked it one, I'm all right Jack **** the rest of you :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

kiffy wrote: »
    ...all we have to do is buy the stuff from chemists when it's made a medicinal product.
    Braindead.
    I'd love to know how much she thinks pharmaceutical companies would charge for the stuff. Not the same price whatever way you'd look at it,
    €30 per 30ml bottle (if we're "allowed" bottled eliquid)?
    €40?
    €50+?
    Hope she falls off the wagon, she sounds like a gowl.

grindle wrote: »
    Braindead.
    I'd love to know how much she thinks pharmaceutical companies would charge for the stuff. Not the same price whatever way you'd look at it,
    €30 per 30ml bottle (if we're "allowed" bottled eliquid)?
    €40?
    €50+?
    Hope she falls off the wagon, she sounds like a gowl.
    Only know the cow to see, never talked to her before or knew she was a cigalike user, she came up to me when she saw me smoking vaping on my eVic in the supermarket. I very seldom if ever get very angry (I'm a pussycat ;)), but I had to walk away from her or I would have let off a volley of comments and ripped her to shreds ****ing selfish cow. She ain't short of a few bob so whatever the new prices will be doesn't matter to her :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Actualy lads and lassies, if this directive were put to a vote it would pass with about 80% majority.
    Most people think ecigs should be medicine or banned. They can't get their head around not quiting, to the vast majority it's a binary decision, you smoke or you quit, anything else is a way to quit which if continued is failing to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Tommy is right. I was at a party last night with a lot of people I don't know too well and as I was driving and not drinking I was chain vaping and attracted the usual comments. I was telling people I was vaping eight months and they all wanted to know when I was going to stop. They just couldn't get their heads around the fact that I had no intention of stopping.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Actualy lads and lassies, if this directive were put to a vote it would pass with about 80% majority.
    Most people think ecigs should be medicine or banned. They can't get their head around not quiting, to the vast majority it's a binary decision, you smoke or you quit, anything else is a way to quit which if continued is failing to quit.
    Well I'm as good as off nicotine 2mg and 4mg juices since new year’s eve, and my system has finally accepted the low, low level of nic in my body (hopefully off nic altogether in a few more weeks 0mg due from the states early next week) It wasn't the directive that made my mind up, I always had the intension of cutting back or quitting vaping when I started, but found I liked it more than I imagined I would, and if I was going to quit it would be the time and decision of my choosing not some bolloxes in Brussels.
    And unlike the b**ch mentioned previously I do care about the rest of yee and will continue to fight and protest for the rights of people who don’t want to cut back or quit and fall back into the tobacco habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

After a talk with my mum the other night a non-smoker its quite apparent one thing needs to be made clear.

NICOTINE IS NOT WHAT CAUSES CANCER ! Its the other crap inside cigarettes and tobacco.

If that message was heard it might have a chance.

Here's a sneak preview of the article if you want to download it from the link to the PDF below. The paper is distributed from tomorrow and the article will be published on the website at www.dublinpeople.com from midnight.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2499720/003WU2013-01-16E1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Let me be the first to say Good job!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Cracking article Jak, great to see it not only from a users point of view, but also a vendor.

Imagine the number of people who set up a business selling e-cigs, I wonder will the EU be willing to allow them to sign on when their business are shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Great article this is just the thing we need to bring it into the public view.
    We could do with a few more of these

Thanks guys. And a big thanks to Graham for the interview, it's much appreciated. I'll be trying to get something similar into a couple of the Sundays next week but the daily nationals might pick up on it before that. They're always robbing our stories anyway :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yes, that's true but there's no escaping the fact that the only people who vape are ex-smokers who began as a means to stop smoking. You can't really present it as anything else. I'm a dedicated vaper now for the past eight months and have no desire to stop so as I like feeling healthy and enjoy the taste and satisfaction, so in that context it's true to say I'm no longer vaping to stay off cigarettes.

However, I'm putting an addictive substance (that's lethal in large doses) into my system by a means that has little or no quality control. I'm at the mercy of a relatively new, unregulated market that I have to trust to make liquids that are safe. It's difficult to argue against regulation of a drug so no matter how we feel about it, this EU proposal is coming in some shape or form. I think the key is to argue for the type of regulation we want and the only proposal on that I've heard is self-regulation. I don't think any of us want to have to go to a pharmacy for our juice. It's up to vendors to come together as a body and draft a plan to regulate their industry and keep it out of the hands of the pharmacists.

I was away for the last couple of days but I just wanted to say that my point is not that I, as a vaper, don't consider it an excellent quitting method, but that I have stopped referring to it as such simply because of what has happened in the past. In the uk not so long ago there were threats of medicalising vaping and claims of e-cigs as a quitting aid were the sort of thing that played right into the hands of those wanted to medicalise them.

Yes it needs regulating but I've said before and I'll say it again that e-liquid falls under regulations for toxic liquids (child proof packaging, labelling, limits on strength etc.) as far as I know so there is something there already to a certain extent. This is in the UK and I'm assuming we have similar regulations here but I may be wrong.

Battles have been fought already on this in the uk particularly and it's worth reading up on them so you understand what is involved here re. regulation, terminology and so on. E-cigs are new in so many ways but I've just passed 3 years of it and a lot has happened during that time.

Advertisement