Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pajero or Patrol?

• 09-01-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I've decided to bite the bullet and go for a 4x4, main factors are realibility and safety, -we have really bad back roads around our area and at least twice a week I meet a rigid truck flying around a corner against me, or have to plow straight into a flood on the road to avoid something coming against me or meet a massive stone/small boulder off the stone walls after coming around a bend - (That accounted for my last car :D) wrecked the steering rack.
    Any I have spotted a nice Auto Pajero 96 commercial with the 3.1, or a 00 Pajero 3.0 (With a claimed 56K miles!)
    In terms of (running costs) and safety, how would the two compare?
    One more thing, are either of them electronicked on the engine (dont like electronics with engines!)
    Thanks,
    S'Doc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Which is which? You said pajero twice

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Yes I did -
    Should have read
    Anyway I have spotted a nice Auto Pajero 96 commercial with the 3.1, or a 00 Patrol 3.0 (With a claimed 56K miles!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Worth noting that a patrol is massively wide and the chances of needing to swerve out if the way are pretty big

Pajero isn't that small either.

Both would be fairly old skool safety wise too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Patrol is the last of the old school big Japanese 4x4 buses but all euro spec jap jeeps are a tad bloated anyway. Defenders are good for intimidation on boreens and you can straighten the wings with a club hammer but there's not many who'd live with one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The Patrol is not the most comfortable machine out there. But they are fairly bulletproof. The Pajero is fairly heavy on electronics, as is any diesel post '00 really. You are right to look at Auto Pajeros, as the manuals suffer from flywheels made of cheese.

Biased view = Toyota.. But they are more pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anyway I have spotted a nice Auto Pajero 96 commercial with the 3.1, or a 00 Patrol 3.0 (With a claimed 56K miles!)
    I don't know where you're looking - but there's no such thing as a 3.1 Pajero. Unless someone's swapped the engine from an Isuzu Trooper into it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Yes,
    Apologies..I meant to say 3.1 Trooper! But now that you mention it, a Pajero would fit the bill as well. Maybe I should start again...

Yes,
    Apologies..I meant to say 3.1 Trooper! But now that you mention it, a Pajero would fit the bill as well. Maybe I should start again...
    Ok.

Make a cuppa.
    Sit down.
    start thinking

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

good 3.1 troopers are hard to come by now, they are a work hourse and many have lead a hard life.

Patrols are not the luxery vehicle one would imagine, they are loud and comfort is only ok, fuel consumption not great either.

Pajeros are good, If your going for the older model get a 2.8 rather than the snail like 2.5. If going for newer model again avoid the 2.5 and get the 3.0L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi, hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in.
    Started out with land Rovers, 88 inch series 3, then a defender 90. Have driven friends Discovery's. Discovereys are very nice to drive, but they do seem to need quite a high quantity of ongoing fettling. Do you like being underneath your jeep? Had 3 Daihatsu Fourtraks, very, very good mechanically, and easy to park etc, as one of the smaller size jeeps, good to pull, bullet proof engines. Rear half of the body can rust alarmingly, and the youngest is now 13 years old. Trooper is a big old boat of a thing, but equally good engine wise. CHANGE THE TIMING BELT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT HOME! I learned the hard way. Never drove an AUTO. Only get a 3.1. Remember If you buy a 98 or older jeep, only 3 insurance companies will quote you. (not keen when over 15 years of age).
    Also with a trooper, check the vacumn pipes and wiring on the front axle. The front axle can be "in gear" even with the 4wd not engagued with the gear lever.
    Mack in Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've decided to bite the bullet and go for a 4x4, main factors are realibility and safety, -we have really bad back roads around our area and at least twice a week I meet a rigid truck flying around a corner against me, or have to plow straight into a flood on the road to avoid something coming against me or meet a massive stone/small boulder off the stone walls after coming around a bend - (That accounted for my last car :D) wrecked the steering rack.
    Any I have spotted a nice Auto Pajero 96 commercial with the 3.1, or a 00 Pajero 3.0 (With a claimed 56K miles!)
    In terms of (running costs) and safety, how would the two compare?
    One more thing, are either of them electronicked on the engine (dont like electronics with engines!)
    Thanks,
    S'Doc
    Pajero or Patrol? Neither, thanks. Pajero is soft and wallowy, Patrol is dysfunctional and a guzzler. Get a Volvo, your OP is crying out for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

You are right to look at Auto Pajeros, as the manuals suffer from flywheels made of cheese.

Imported Pajeros had a dual mass flywheel, the Irish versions came with a solid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Fishtits wrote: »
    Imported Pajeros had a dual mass flywheel, the Irish versions came with a solid one.

Can the solid version fail after 90,000 miles, as that happened to a 2004 lwb Irish jeep my friend had a couple of years back. Sounded like DMF failure, but I could be wrong.

Fishtits wrote: »
    Eh? First I've heard of it!

As far as I could find out when looking 2 years ago, ALL of the later model manual Pajeros had a DMF.

It's part of the reason we bought an auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

The only solid flywheels were retrofitted by their owners. Mine is a 2004 and certainly has a DMF, which failed at 88,000 miles. Auto is the way to go

Advertisement