Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I could work on my fitness and strength all I want, it wouldn't make any difference because I'm not good enough to take someone like Federer to 5 sets anyway! Fitness helps give you that 1% difference at the top level, but it's still all about talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Tox56 wrote: »
    I could work on my fitness and strength all I want, it wouldn't make any difference because I'm not good enough to take someone like Federer to 5 sets anyway! Fitness helps give you that 1% difference at the top level, but it's still all about talent

It's not saying that Murray and Djokovic have no natural ability, of course they do. I don't know anyone though that would argue that Federer is far and away more naturally gifted than both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

FUN FACT: Victoria Azarenka is now the 5th active female player with 2 or more Grand Slams to her name. The others are (see if you can name them)
    Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova

Murray and Djokovic are both going for a little slice of history tomorrow. Djokovic is trying to become the first man in the Open Era to win 3 consecutive Australian Open titles, whereas Murray is hoping to become the first man since Lew Hoad in 1956 to follow up their maiden Slam with another one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

walshb wrote: »
    Really, can anyone actually claim with evidence that Roger is NOT as fit as Novak and Murray? It's not something that you can really demonstrate regarding the three of them. Saying one "outlasts" the other doesn't at all explain it. Someone has to lose. And, is anyone saying that Roger cannot or will not beat either man again in a best of 5 sets?

I think the Murray/Fed match the other day shows a little of that. Federer just faded in the 5th set. It was actually the first time in his career that he's had to play 2 5 set matches back to back. Which is an amazing stat when you think about how long he's been playing and most Slam's he's playing the full 2 weeks.

I think what the fitness level does is allows certain players to stay in a rally longer than he would if he was just using pure skill. Federer for example is incredibly talented but if you make him hit enough shots he shanks quite a few. By being able to run down all his shots and keep getting it back to him they win a lot of points of his errors.
    I wouldn't say that in itself proves he's any less fit than the likes of Murray or Djokovic. But it does make it harder for him to beat them as he doesn't seem to be able, or want to, play that kind of game.

To be honest I've never been a fan of Federer, I respect his achievements, and I know he's a very stylish player, I just never liked him. But having watched practically every tournament over the past 18 months I've got a new sort of respect for him and his style of play. I sometimes find myself wanting him to stick to his guns and make the others look 2nd class a few more times.

I know this should technically go in the "In Between Grand Slams" thread but a quick Irish update.
    James McGee lost in the final in Elliat, Israel today. Amy Bowtell is in the finals of a 10k in Preston tomorrow, she's beaten a few seeds on her way to it. James Clusky is in the doubles finals of... eh.... somewhere in France tomorrow too.

Who needs the Australian Open final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

I had did piece o those challenger events before , the atp needs take a little money from top and pool it into those events, guys winning at that level and struggling to break even is not right, got prop up your talent pool in view.

2012 was huge year for murray, he looked good against fed. I would not be suprised if the person with higher serve percentage wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frojay

Murray is up for this in a major way. He's pushing Djok for every point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So undeserved by Murray ...

on teh back foot the whole set now he wins it on a tb ...

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

the_monkey wrote: »

Da f**k you talking about? Great set of tennis by both players, very tight, back and forth stuff. Djokovic probably the better, but Murray all over him in the tie-break

F*cking BBC ... jesus ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

So undeserved by Murray ...

Therein lies the improvement, the murray of 2011 would have folded on those big break point he defended....

Big game for Djokovic, still feeling sick listening to these nazi BBC c*nts ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Some comeback from Djokovic after being 0-40 down just after losing the first set

Eurosport is better, far less biased than BBC. Also, Murray is the better player at the moment

Murray has won this one ... done deal.

congrats, maybe he'll be in Nole's head now ... like Rafa in Federer .... Nole in Rafa's etc....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

F*cking BBC ... jesus ...

What about them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Murray has won this one ... done deal.

congrats, maybe he'll be in Nole's head now ... like Rafa in Federer .... Nole in Rafa's etc....

Wee bit early with that one.

Like Hamilton or McGhee are any better? Commentators are biased, big deal...

I want Murray to win, but you gotta love Novak's character and personality on court.

• Advertisement

Wee bit early with that one.

Bookmark it, guaranteed ....

ill post back in an hour or 2 with a "I told you so" ...

I think the Murray/Fed match the other day shows a little of that. Federer just faded in the 5th set. It was actually the first time in his career that he's had to play 2 5 set matches back to back. Which is an amazing stat when you think about how long he's been playing and most Slam's he's playing the full 2 weeks.

IQUOTE]

Yes, and Andy had very little play time. Fed still hung with him. Throw in a 5 setter for Andy on the match before Federer and maybe Murray wouldn't be as energetic.

Bookmark it, guaranteed ....

ill post back in an hour or 2 with a "I told you so" ...

Now you have me routing against Murray just to get one up on you!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This is not the most enthralling match I've ever seen...

I'm' lovin' it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

This is not the most enthralling match I've ever seen...

Be nice to see a volley once in a while :(

• Advertisement

Now Djokovic is losing it (temper) ... i can see Murray breaking here - 2-0 and good night.

30/30 5-6 HUGE....

Another tb ...... Murrays for sure...

?

STOP MAKING PREDICTIONS!!!! You are terrible at them

• Advertisement

Novak has the mental advantage now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    STOP MAKING PREDICTIONS!!!! You are terrible at them

It's all part of his "keep saying murray will win, which makes him lose" scheme.

So after over 2 hours of this we're back to where we started and it's now a best of 3 match. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's all part of his "keep saying murray will win, which makes him lose" scheme.

More like predict the worst and can't be disappointed. Well known tool of the pessimist :) Hating players is for the young. I haven't had the energy since back in the day when I always wanted Lendl to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not really as Murray had a 5 setter semi- advantage Djokovic

Whats Murray whinging about ?

Murray always whinges, even on winning points.

Who says Andy isn't as skillful as Roger:p

2-1 and a break up, Djokovic has a glimmer of hope ...

Can't believe ES are banging on about Andy's sore foot and his blisters. Did they not see Li Na twist her ankle twice and knock her self out yesterday? If he's hampered by blisters he's a wimp.

• Advertisement

This match is over as a contest. Murray gone into his shell since second set tie break, djokovic has stepped it up...

This match is over as a contest. Murray gone into his shell since second set tie break, djokovic has stepped it up...

Murray still the clear favourite..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Who says Andy isn't as skillful as Roger:p

I hope that's sarcasm....

Even Murray would laugh at the comparison. :p

All about Murray's serve. 63 of 75 on his 1st serve, but is only 45% on 2nd serve. Djokovic is punishing him every time he doesn't make his 1st serve.

Murray still the clear favourite..

Care to make a substantial wager to that effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Scot is going to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Can Murray find a way back??? Near impossible at this point :(

Would like it to go to a 5th set.

FUK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What an awful, awful match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Djokovic really showed there was a level he could go to that Murray couldn't reach. Looks like that feather was the turning point of the match...

Advertisement