Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level English? I have some questions about it?

• 09-01-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello,

Too long couldn't be bothered to read:
    I'm finding Higher level english really difficult. Should I drop down? What's your advice and experience?

Full story

I'm thinking about dropping to Ordinary Level English this year. The work load is really bringing down my other subjects and is affecting my health in term of time. I get up around 7:30am and arrive at school at around 8:20. I get home at around 4:20pm and I start my homework around 5:30. I take a break at 7 until 8 to watch tv and spend the rest of the night finishing my homework until about 11-12. Some days I don't come home until around 6 because of my DCG project but that will be stopping in a week or so. My English homework can literally take me 5-6 hours and doesn't leave me with much time to study.

Anyway. I'm really thing about dropping to Ordinary English and Ordinary level Business. I've got all the info on Business that I need, so I'm really only looking for info on OL English.

From what I've seen in the past papers, OL English is much easier than HL. I spent about 25 mins running through the 2012 OL paper and It seemed very manageable for me to do well in. I concentrated on the Comprehension mostly as I had done the HL one not long ago and remember struggling a lot with it and taking a lot more time that I should have to do it.

My cousin managed to get either a B1 or an A2 without EVER opening an English book. I really do mean that he basically did nothing for English in his leaving cert. He concentrated on maths and science subjects. I will say that he is a very intelligent person though. He ended up with 575 points form doing very well with his science and maths subjects.

I know it's not going to be a walk in the park but I really just want to know if OL English is a do-able subject for LC. Please share your your experience of the subject and how you did in it and the work you put in for it.

I need a min of 325 points for the course I want and hope to get at least over 350

Here is hope and expect to do if I carry on the way I am going based on my past test results and what I am capable of
    lr7lY.png

Here is how I hope to do if I drop down in both subjects. I may even do better if I really put some serious work in to my subjects
    FL7kh.png

Thanks for reading this and share your thoughts and experiences :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flora5

Anybody have anything to share? Sorry it's too long :( I made a short version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I dropped down from HL English to OL in 5th year and I find it so much easier to spread my studying to other subjects as HL English can take up a lot of time.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I dropped down from HL English to OL in 5th year and I find it so much easier to spread my studying to other subjects as HL English can take up a lot of time.
    The other HL class in my school don't do half as much work as my class does. My teacher seems to think it's the only subject we are doing. We get 2-3 essays a week, each about 6-7 pages long, on top of our regular study and short questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Flora5 wrote: »
    The other HL class in my school don't do half as much work as my class does. My teacher seems to think it's the only subject we are doing. We get 2-3 essays a week, each about 6-7 pages long, on top of our regular study and short questions
    My HL teacher wasn't that excessive but she did demand a lot of work which I just couldn't do as I have other higher level subjects I'd rather do well in. I'm only doing 2 OL subjects so it ain't too bad.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    My HL teacher wasn't that excessive but she did demand a lot of work which I just couldn't do as I have other higher level subjects I'd rather do well in. I'm only doing 2 OL subjects so it ain't too bad.
    Well I'm already doing two ordinary level subjects and I will be doing 4 if I change in Business and English. I do have LCVP to help bring up my points. I know I'm not going to get load of points and I'm not going to shoot for the stars only to be disappointed, I'm going to aim for what u think is a realistic amount of points for me. I'll still have enough to get into the course I want. If I don't, there is always the option to repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I think you are right if you feel if you are doing grand with dropping down. I dropped down Irish in the junior and even now I'm able to try higher level. I don't see the point I want to contrate in my other subjects rather than doing another honour just to look good :P
    I bet your feeling the same, do it, if you feel its holding you down. Plus thats a crazy amount of homework. I do alright in HL english and at most we get is an essay every two weeks and some exam paper work :P

Advertisement