Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign based Irish players not playing in Britain

• 09-01-2013 8:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, are there currently many Irish players playing in leagues outside of Ireland other than those in Britain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

lala88 wrote: »
    Just wondering, are there currently many Irish players playing in leagues outside of Ireland other than those in Britain?

Not enough if you ask me. Money is in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Any time Irish lads go abroad, it seems to end in disaster. The only ones I can think of are Rhys Murphy at Telstar and Barry Mcguire at VVV Venlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not enough if you ask me. Money is in England.

probably more to do with language and cultural issues. not forgetting the very strong scouting links British clubs have with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cillian Sheridan at CSKA Sofia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Darren O'Dea.

There was a few in Australia. Shane Robinson just went.

Not to forget messers wánkers Shelley and Gray

• Advertisement

McGeady at Spartak and Keane at LA Galaxy the other glaring omissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Liam Miller's in Australia too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Aidan McGeady

Caleb Folan is playing in Malaysia these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Cillian Sheridan at CSKA Sofia?

He's back in Scotland now .

• Advertisement

He's back in Scotland now .
    Has been doing a bit of punditry as well :pac:

Cillian-Sheridan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Liam lawrence is playing for PAOK over in greece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

McGeady, Keane, O'Dea are the ones that spring to mind.

Edit: Liam Miller is at Perth Glory, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm pretty sure there was an Irish lad playing in Greenland of all places. I'll get on to it.

btw, Shane McFaul was with Fc Haka

Eamonn Zayed in Libya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

greendom wrote: »

probably more to do with language and cultural issues. not forgetting the very strong scouting links British clubs have with Ireland.

That too in fairness. Irish and British people as a whole seem lazy to learn new languages and adapt to other cultures. I am generalising of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Joe Lapira is in Norway I think....;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Padraig Amond was with Pacos de Ferreira for a bit. With Accrington now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Ronnie O Brien used play with Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Liam Lawrence currently plays for PAOK in Greece.

Sean McDermott (Norwegian born) currently playing for Sandnes Ulf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McDermott_(footballer)

Also, one-time Ireland U-21 Billy Mehmet currently plays in Thailand, for Bangkok Glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mehmet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ronnie O Brien used play with Juventus

And Liam Brady !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Think Conor McCormack of Shamrock Rovers was with a club in Italy before hand, could be wrong though. Dominic Foley played in Belgium for a good few years didn't he? Patrick Kohlmann? Plays for Union Berlin in Germany if I'm not mistaken, not sure if he is Irish born or just by blood. I think there is an Irish lad playing in the lower leagues in Spain at the minute but his name escapes me.. Shame that more players don't try it further afield than the UK, suppose with there being so close to home and similar in culture a lot of the ones who deem themselves good enough see no need to move anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Niall & Colin Killoran are half-Irish twins playing in Japan. Colin started all season in the second tier on loan at Giravanz and played pretty well apparently. Tokyo Verdy recalled him to their side for next season.

Not sure what country he wants to represent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Billy Mehmet is in Thailand. Ex U21 David Elebert is in Iceland.
    Big list of a load of Irish players playing in foreign leagues here:
    http://www.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/ireland-republic/

According to that, there's a guy with a good Irish name of Sean Ka Keung Tse playing in Hong Kong.

According to that, there's a guy with a good Irish name of Sean Ka Keung Tse playing in Hong Kong.
    Sean Tse was born and raised here, I believe he was with the Man City youth team but didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Zayed is not in Iran any more, there's rumours of him going to Limerick for the new LoI season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Ian Harte used to play in Spain after he left Leeds United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

dan1895 wrote: »
    That too in fairness. Irish and British people as a whole seem lazy to learn new languages and adapt to other cultures. I am generalising of course

The same thing goes for Spanish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

From the past, david connolly in holland, in fairness to robbie he has inter milan too as well as la galaxy. Phil Babb and the other guy in Portugal. Alan Mahon maybe, LM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think Conor McCormack of Shamrock Rovers was with a club in Italy before hand, could be wrong though. Dominic Foley played in Belgium for a good few years didn't he? Patrick Kohlmann? Plays for Union Berlin in Germany if I'm not mistaken, not sure if he is Irish born or just by blood. I think there is an Irish lad playing in the lower leagues in Spain at the minute but his name escapes me.. Shame that more players don't try it further afield than the UK, suppose with there being so close to home and similar in culture a lot of the ones who deem themselves good enough see no need to move anywhere else.

Triestina in Italy was the club McCormick played for.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there was an Irish lad playing in Greenland of all places. I'll get on to it.

btw, Shane McFaul was with Fc Haka

Eamonn Zayed in Libya

That Greenland thing I think was relating to Michael Reddy with it being written on wikipedia that he had played in Greenland and the Falkland Islands. It was false.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ian Daly was with Aris in Greece and Cadiz in Spain not too long ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Quite a few playing in Iceland, well more then you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Full list here

http://greenscene.me/player-lists/irish-players-in-europe/

Dont forget the Real Madrid and Barca kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Full list here

http://greenscene.me/player-lists/irish-players-in-europe/

Dont forget the Real Madrid and Barca kids.

When is Barry Maguire going to get a call up? Worth a look in a friendly at least. I like him.

I see a few people mentioning some past players who played further abroad...what about Frank Stapleton at Ajax! Also had stints at Anderlecht and Le Havre. Was our international top scorer for years until Quinn scored against Cyprus that time (2001 the week after McAteer v Holland IIRC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kevin Moran played at Sporting Gijon and of course Aldridge at Sociedad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Tony "goal" Cascarino had a succesful stint in France with MarseiLles after usa 94 and then with Nancy

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

David Connolly played for Feyenoord and Excelsior in Holland.

Liam Brady played for Juventus,Sampdoria,Inter Milan and Ascoli.

George O'Callaghan(ex Cork City) played for a club in Brunei.

Robert Cullen plays for VVV Venlo and played for Japan U20 team.(Mother is from Japan,his Dad is from Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Kevin Moran played at Sporting Gijon

And his illegitimate love child Luis

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Mor%C3%A1n

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

8-10 wrote: »
    I see a few people mentioning some past players who played further abroad...what about Frank Stapleton at Ajax! Also had stints at Anderlecht and Le Havre. Was our international top scorer for years until Quinn scored against Cyprus that time (2001 the week after McAteer v Holland IIRC)

"Niall Quinn is four inches taller, for a striker that's like having an extra leg. And I never fell over as many times either in anyway. Lanky streak of piss." - Stapleton on Quinn breaking his record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Any time Irish lads go abroad, it seems to end in disaster.

:confused:

Loads of Irish players have been successful in Britain.

Brady as well in Italy, Cascarino in France, Aldridge in Spain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Former under 21 and Boro defender Jason Gavin plays semi pro in Perth. Liam Kearney is at a similar level in Victoria.

There's a very promising young lad at Perth called Brandon O'Neill. He was born in Oz but his folks are as Dublin as you get and he's in and around the first team squad for every A-League game. If our scouting network bothered to look in these parts you'd find more like him who would be worth a look at underage level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Liam Kearney is at a similar level in Victoria.
    Didn't know that.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's a very promising young lad at Perth called Brandon O'Neill. He was born in Oz but his folks are as Dublin as you get and he's in and around the first team squad for every A-League game. If our scouting network bothered to look in these parts you'd find more like him who would be worth a look at underage level.

I don't know if the cost involved in maintaining a scouting structure that far away, and also the cost of flying lads to the other side of the world how many times a year for matches would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't know if the cost involved in maintaining a scouting structure that far away, and also the cost of flying lads to the other side of the world how many times a year for matches would be worth it.

Depends on the price you put on getting the best youths available, the association has money.

With O'Neill, it'd be an 'educated' scout rather than a shot in the dark. He's an A-League first teamer and has represented Australia at youth level. Prime for poaching IMO.

Ryan Lowey, younger brother of Shane, is another who's eligible due to parents and he's in Glory's youth team. Shane wanted to play for Ireland so Ryan probably has the idea too as my family knows his folks who are also big Dubs.

My point is that even a phone call to someone ITK in each State would provide a short list of some names worth considering. Not much cost in doing that part at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Xavi angling for an FAI scouting job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Pro. F wrote: »
    "Niall Quinn is four inches taller, for a striker that's like having an extra leg. And I never fell over as many times either in anyway. Lanky streak of piss." - Stapleton on Quinn breaking his record

Haha, who or where did you get that quote? Stapleton never said that. That is from a very old Apres Match sketch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TBH anywhere that Liam Miller is playing well, that league has to be questioned for quailty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Mike McCabe from Waterford played and managed in Norway in the 80's and 90's. Had a fair bit of success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Parick Kohlmann. Used to love seen under 21 squads with a Dortmund player included! Never got to see him play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Kohlmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Parick Kohlmann. Used to love seen under 21 squads with a Dortmund player included! Never got to see him play.

What's the Championship of German football like standard wise would anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What's the Championship of German football like standard wise would anyone know?

I don't watch a ton of the English championship, but I doubt it's far behind. Kohlmann should've been called in for a friendly or to a training camp at some point IMO.

Jelle is a Union fan, so he (or she!) would know more about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anything to Seamus?

• Advertisement
Advertisement