Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and Freelance / Contract Work

Options
  • 09-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this!

I am currently a first year student on BTEA. I have been offered part time work as a freelancer/contractor. I would not be an employee, in that my employer would be a sole trader and I would be responsible for my own taxes etc. Would this affect my BTEA payment or my grant application? Would it affect my jobseekers payment in the summer when I am finished college until Sept? Or would it affect me getting BTEA again in September?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

I know a few years ago you were allowed to work up to 20 hours a week while receiving the BTEA but this may have changed in recent budgets, ring your social welfare office and they will be able to answer your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can work on BTEA as long as it doesn't affect your participation on the course. It wont affect your BTEA payment but it would affect Jobseekers during the summer period. As far as I know this wasn't changed in the budget but maybe check with BTEA head office first.
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dublin34

Hey I am in the same boat, going into 2nd year in september as a mature student. have been offered some work for 6 - 9 months part time but i have to invoice for it and sort my own taxes out. Really dont want to jeopardise my BTEA as I have 3 years to go in college. Really dont want to pass on the work also! Anyone find anything concrete out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Shouldn't make a difference as long as your are on back to education and its doesn't affect your college hours. You should check with citizens advice but it should be fine.

Advertisement