Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Physics. Anyone else hate it?

• 09-01-2013 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I'm doing higher level physics for leaving cert. Im a mathematically minded person, I enjoy Maths, chemistry and all. However, when it comes to Physics, I just can't study. I don't know why. The exam questions are always asked in fúcking ambiguous ways, studying the book alone doesn't do enough.... I'm at a loss of what to do here. Every time I approach it I get frustrated.

Can anyone suggest anything?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Study the marking schemes and watch the A1s fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flora5

My advice is to just plow through those exam questions. Maybe try going over a chapter or topic in the book and then doing a few related exam questions. It's how my cousin did it and he got an A1 last year. It was his study technique for pretty much all of his subjects and he ended up with 575 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

sganyfx wrote: »
    Study the marking schemes and watch the A1s fly in.

If only it was so simple...

@Flora 5

Jaysus Fair play to him, sound for that, sitting down now for an hour to give that a shot... Wish me luck :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I don't do physics but anyone that I know doesn't like it :P
    Good luck though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

I know what you mean about the ambiguous questions alright, but I suppose it gets you used to the sort of problem solving that is associated with Undergraduate physics-related questions. Mechanics, force diagrams and sizing structural beams in an engineering/architecture course for example) where the problem isn't purely mathematical, but involves some logical reasoning, be it diagrammatic or not.

It's also a very functional subject; so I guess just stick with it and the rewards will pay off. I thoroughly disliked physics for the leaving cert and it is one of my favorite areas to study at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yakuza42 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the ambiguous questions alright, but I suppose it gets you used to the sort of problem solving that is associated with Undergraduate physics-related questions. Mechanics, force diagrams and sizing structural beams in an engineering/architecture course for example) where the problem isn't purely mathematical, but involves some logical reasoning, be it diagrammatic or not.

It's also a very functional subject; so I guess just stick with it and the rewards will pay off. I thoroughly disliked physics for the leaving cert and it is one of my favorite areas to study at the moment.

Glad to know I'm not the only one . . . Thanks for the encouragement ...

Just spent an hour and I've conquered static electricity, Im going to bed a king. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Methememb wrote: »
    Glad to know I'm not the only one . . . Thanks for the encouragement ...

Just spent an hour and I've conquered static electricity, Im going to bed a king. :cool:

Baby steps :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I loved physics in secondary school. My second favourite subject after applied maths. Maybe take that up too because there is a lot of cross over and its a relatively easy A1 if like you say you're mathematically minded.

I do applied Maths, eats probably my favourite subject in that it's logical and has structure. Unlike the ambiguous ****e in physics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

I got an A1 in physics last year and wasnt that great at it,the only important thing is understanding everything in a logical way

• Advertisement
Advertisement