Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought 1 New Bike, Ended Up With 2

Options
  • 09-01-2013 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I bought a bike, off one of the major online bicycle retailers, in early November.

Bike arrived, but there was a problem with the rear derailleur. I informed them of the problem, and they sent me a replacement derailleur. The replacement derailleur was the wrong model, so I informed them of this, but as the issue was starting to drag out, I requested a replacement bicycle, rather than replacement parts for me to fit.

They agreed to the replacement bike, and that arrived, promptly, in perfect working order.

When I requested the replacement bike I asked the guy what was the process for returning the original bike. The guy said they would arrange collection, I asked them about returning the incorrect derailleur, and the guy said "keep it for parts, as an act of goodwill". I offered to put it in the box with the rejected bike, but he insisted I keep it. My gut feeling at the time was that he didn't want to have to explain, to his supervisor, having sent the wrong parts.

Over the Christmas holidays I sent an email asking what was going on with the rejected bike being collected, and I've not received any reply.

I have not been charged for the second bike.

So my question is; Is the rejected bike now mine?

Are there any time limits for the company to claim the bike back? If they discovered their mistake in time, can they just debit my credit card for the amount?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The bike is still theirs....or you can just give it to me:rolleyes:

You should email them and get a date for collection

Original Bike still belongs to retailer. Very impressed with their prompt action on replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Original Bike still belongs to retailer. Very impressed with their prompt action on replacement.

Not trying to be funny, but I paid for the original bike. The replacement bike arrived without any accompanying paperwork, I received no confirmation of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The Dagda wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny, but I paid for the original bike. The replacement bike arrived without any accompanying paperwork, I received no confirmation of any kind.
    There are time limits for unsolicited goods but I am not sure if this is the same. The times limits for the unsolicited goods are 30 days if you tell them to pick them up or 6 months if you don't tell them. Again, I am not sure this is the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You may wish to follow this up as depending on their return policy they may charge you for the replacement if the original bike is not returned (as they'd see you as keeping both).

Amazon for example do this if they replace an item, you have 30 days to return the original item to them or they'll charge you for the replacement they arranged to be sent to you.

Whilst the retailer you purchased from may not have the exact same policy you'd be better off following up with them.....plus karma's a bitch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

The very same happened to me with an inflatable kayak. It came with two seats and two paddles as it can fit up to two people. Ordered from Uk and the original kayak they sent had a very slight twist from front to rear when inflated. It was very very little but I thought it might affect the tracking of the kayak so I sent some pictures and requested a replacement. It was a €1500 kayak btw not a beach toy.

A replacement hull arrived two days later and they wouldn't take back the old one. Sent an email to the company and got no reply. They never got back in touch about it so I didn't go out of my way to give it back.

Now I have two fully functional kayaks as the gripe I had with the first one could be described as a cosmetic flaw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Who is the supplier sounds like they are all into customer service, often had trouble after ordering online and it took forever to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Distance sales / Sale of Goods. Faulty good. You made contact. They gave new bike in the end. You have contacted them about them collecting old bike. They haven't. You could certainly argue once 30 days have passed since contacting them about collection title for the first bike passes to you (just in my opinion). Question is, do you want the first bike still?
    If it were me, I'd probably ruin the advantage and contact them again saying you have the first bike available for collection if they want it or you can dispose of it yourself. That's what I did with Dell with a faulty monitor - and it worker quite nicely... would have been too much hassle for them to collect. So I had the benefit of two monitors for a while.

OP here.

Thanks for the replies, I've sent another email requesting confirmation on when they intend collecting the bike.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

OP here.

Thanks for the replies, I've sent another email requesting confirmation on when they intend collecting the bike.

Drop them a line letting them know that you will be charging storage for the bike and who to address your invoice to, That will make the collecting process much quicker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP here.

I think this is the right thing to do. Ultimately, there's one word for this kind of situation - karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

This happened us with a giant motorised projector screen. There was a slight imperfection at the bottom, sent pictures. They told us keep the old one!

Some times it would cost them more to return the faulty goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Karma-Schmarma.

Ignore the hippies.
    2 bikes are better than 1.

OP here.

So I emailed the company's customer care again, and the bike was collected today.

Advertisement