Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 day refund

Options
  • 09-01-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know when this does not apply?

Bought a jacket for a present on the 23rd dec and went back to return it today. Didnt read the receipt, I know my own fault! But the changing policy was items bought from the 23rd had to be returned before the 6th.
    Its probably a stupid question but is there not a 28 day rule by law? And is the xmas period exempt from this?
    I know there is nothing I can just about it now just curious to know.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No there is no 28 day rule in law!

There is nothing allowing you to return or change any item because of a change of mind.

Some shops do offer a 28day exchange policy but this is at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Ok thank you

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If youre changing your mind you have no right under law to any refund. If a shop offer to give refunds that is up to them and they can set any conditions they like.

For faulty goods your usual rights to a remedy apply (repair, replace, refund)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭crayon80

If there is something wrong with it you can change it now as it is with in a reasonable period after buying it. But if you have changed your mind or it is a wrong size or anything like that you have no legal right to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

crayon80 wrote: »
    If there is something wrong with it you can change it now as it is with in a reasonable period after buying it. But if you have changed your mind or it is a wrong size or anything like that you have no legal right to change it.

You are only entitled to a repair, replacement or refund - which is up to you to negotiate with the retailer. It's not a case that you can change it just because it's faulty. Convention is that when something proves to be faulty within a short time or purchasing that you will get a swap-out. That is by no means a legal right, however.

• Advertisement

You are only entitled to a repair, replacement or refund - which is up to you to negotiate with the retailer. It's not a case that you can change it just because it's faulty.

This particular question is about a jacket though. Yeah you're legally entitled to have faulty goods repaired, replaced or get a refund but on a practical level I'd think they're unlikely to repair a jacket and would prefer to replace than refund. I didn't think it was up to you to "negotiate with the retailer" though. I was always under the impression it was their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

crayon80 wrote: »
    This particular question is about a jacket though. Yeah you're legally entitled to have faulty goods repaired, replaced or get a refund but on a practical level I'd think they're unlikely to repair a jacket and would prefer to replace than refund. I didn't think it was up to you to "negotiate with the retailer" though. I was always under the impression it was their choice.

I took from your post that you meant the OP could change (as in for something different) rather than change for one of the same type and size. It is possible I picked this up incorrectly.

Agreed they are unlikely to repair it. However although the the system, for want of better term, favours the retailers decision it is up to the customer and retailer to come to a mutually satisfactory decision. Although as alluded to there are some conventions.

Procrastastudy my English isn't good enough - yes I meant a direct exchange for one that wasn't faulty, not change for something else :)

Advertisement