Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quality standards do not seem to be as high compared to European standards, there is more chance on getting one with some kind of fault on them.

My GPS has never worked, memory card problems with any JB Rom, battery does not last longer than 2 days, Vodafone does not recognise IMEI, no drivers although there is a workaround (not for Windows 8).

I think that's most of the problems I have experienced so far, but I think it might just be related to my phone only.
    On your G3? Didnt realise that, Ill test my GPS tomorrow and mine barely makes it to 48 hours aswell but I have jad zero network/storage/connection issues. Thats why I said none of the problems you get with a cheap Chinese tablet seem to be present here, everything just works, added the Swiftkey keyboard today and its all lightning fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

the gps problem seems to be quite common, I don't think gps is SIM reliant as I think it connects with satellites.

I record most of my lectures at college, which get saved directly to the memory card. the memory card unmounts quite often with a jb Rom and never with an ics one.

people have also complained that Bluetooth head sets cut out intermittently, this seems to be a phone not Rom problem.

also but not a problem as such, I can never get close to the benchmarks other people have posted from their roms. memory card is SanDisk 32gb class 10.

also just remembered, none of the driving games such as asphalt 7 work. they did on my Xperia play before the screen blacked out.

I'm not putting the phone down but just listing things I found with it. I still think it is brilliant phone for my budget and won't look to change it for at least two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Just read this full thread and both the G3 and the G2S look like great phones. Not sure which one to go for - not much between them price wise and do like that the G2S comes with Jelly Bean. Just wondering how difficult it is to put Jelly Bean on the G3. Reasonably tech savy but haven't messed around with phones at all. I currently have an iPhone 4. Are there good step by step guides? And is there much risk involved?

Also, just out of curiosity, how chunky is the G3 - it looks great in the pics - I had a go of a Nexus 4 and I have to admit, it felt chunky enough. Would it be comparable to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

percy212 wrote: »
    Oh, will the G3 not work on the Vodafone network? Thats a problem!

All seems to work apart from not recognising MME code when i try to see how much credit i got left.

Right, so close to hitting buy on the G3 - Thargor, did you have much trouble rooting it to Jelly Bean and what steps did you follow in doing so? Once I can see those and if it's easy enough I'll defo buy. Had a quick google search but it didn't throw up much so any help would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Think from my googling today and official one is due out from Jiayu in the not so distant future

levi wrote: »
    Right, so close to hitting buy on the G3 - Thargor, did you have much trouble rooting it to Jelly Bean and what steps did you follow in doing so? Once I can see those and if it's easy enough I'll defo buy. Had a quick google search but it didn't throw up much so any help would be much appreciated.
    The Jellybean I put on mine is a beta of the official one that Jiayu is about to release, the ICS one thats on it is pretty much identical to be honest, 24 hour battery life for a heavy user, 48 for a light to medium user. Both are as smooth as you could want but if you really want to go Jellybean I first rooted it with Steps 1 and 2 of this recovery (ignore the rest):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35835919&postcount=66

Then I skipped straight to the final step in the OP here, the green bit at the bottom that says JellyBean Official Update How To:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359590-jiayu-g3-rooted-permanent-recovery-ics-spell-check-fixed/

The main thing to remember instead of wasting 4 hours failing at it like I did is to extract the files properly and after extraction any foreign/Chinese/blank characters in the filenames and folder names have to be renamed otherwise Flashtool wont work. Its piss easy though, will take you about 15 minutes if nothing goes wrong.

Like has been said though, the G4 could be on sale anytime and thats quad core with 2 GB of RAM, no reviews yet though so it could be piss poor but the specs say quad core, 2 GB RAM instead of 1, better camera and bigger screen so have a think about it (just from what happened with the preorders it will probably be sold out everywhere for a few weeks after it does go on sale though).

Also, and could be wrong but the holidays for Chinese New Year is just over which may delay delivery.

Very torn between waiting for the G4 and ordering the G3, think ill give it until the end of the month and see if the G4 actually arrives

Just did a test on the G3 there, UPC has gone to sh1t all over Dublin in the evenings lately so disconnected from the house internet and tethered the phone cos I have unlimited data on 3, currently downloading a few torrents at about 300-350 kb/sec while browsing Reddit, Boards and Youtube for the last hour so definitely no issues with that feature that I can see.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for the info. One last questions - I reckon I'll be ordering this tonight anyways but if Jiayu do release a ROM for Jelly Bean am I naive to ask if this will come through in the form of an update on the phone or will I have to follow the steps above?

Not a hope of them pushing out an over the air update like samsung or Apple do.

Theres a good chance you'll just have to download the update.zip, put it on the root of the SD card and press Update in the Update System app on the phone though so not too bad. Otherwise it'll be root the phone and flash the rom with Flashtool like all the others, piss easy though and you'll be rooting it anyway so you can delete all the chinese crap it comes preloaded with. Both those options are piss easy though.

Cool, thanks for that. Bidiots, how are you finding the G2S so far? Are you still using it on the stock ROM and finding it good? I'm honestly torn between the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Howdy
    I really like the G2S, still running on stock rom, no issues for me whatsoever although I have not tested the GPS as I don't use it really, so not sure if there are issues there.
    Size, shape and feel suits me more than the G3. The screen is obviously smaller on the G2S but its still impressive. Battery life is around the 2 day mark with average usage.
    If you are after a big screen, the the G3 is the obvious choice. But otherwise, the build quality of the G2S seems a lot better, it feels sturdy if that's a technical term! Plus it might be a bit cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The G4 looks the bizz has anyone bought it on pre release, is http://www.merimobiles.com the best site to buy from.

Ordered a G2S in the end - will let you know how I get on :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    The G4 looks the bizz has anyone bought it on pre release, is http://www.merimobiles.com the best site to buy from.
    I think it's madness buying anything pre-release TBH, though Jiayu seem to be one of the good guys, going by everybody here's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I think it's madness buying anything pre-release TBH, though Jiayu seem to be one of the good guys, going by everybody here's experience.

I agree, would like to see some sort of reviews.
    The G2S is being released in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Got my G3 today. Ordered the 14th, shipped 20/21st (delay because of chinese new year) and delivered today. Can't recommend hongkongeek.es enough. No customs charges but they refund if you are charged, don't know why anyone would order from anyone else. €170 with dhl delivery. Won't get a chance to use it until the weekend unfortunately. Any recommendations on rom to load?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He seems to low ball all the prices though. Add another 20% onto his predictions.

My G2S arrived! Took less than a week which I was pleasantly surprised at. Nice phone, a bit chunkier than I expected but super fast and easy to use. Just getting used to android now. Will let you know how I feel in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

The G4 according to Jiayu website, in their review questions section say that both the 1GB and 2GB will be in stock middle of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Was gonna order the g3, but I may wait for the g4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭positron

Just back from holidays, and I would never ever buy a phone with just one sim. GT's dual sim support is the business. I bought a local sim for local calls, cheap data etc, and left the Irish sim just to take calls - I just really don't see the point of single sim phones anymore.

Also, really happy with G3 now that I have it for a good while. Phone performs brilliantly for all my normal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

No sign of it, stick the Beta on there though, its 100% perfect.

Still loving this phone, how's eveyone else who bought getting on? Cant find any fault with it really apart from it being a fingerprint magnet, havent come near having to use the second battery once either, full days out of heavy use I still come back with 40-50% charge, slow charging on USB compared to the mains is about the only actual problem Ive seen. It plays every game I throw at it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭positron

'Sleep as Android' is the latest battery hog that I am taxing my G3 with, and it drains G3 from 85% to 40% overnight (7-8 hours).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep&hl=en

Looks interesting, but you could see it being a battery hog if its monitoring you all night alright. Why plug in at night anyway, leave the house with 100% in the morning is what I prefer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whats the speaker like on these phones?
    I've got a lumia 800 and when I have it on hands free i can hear no one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement