Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GBX wrote: »
    Lurking here for a bit and still none the wiser. Ive a HTC One x plus and am looking for an upgrade. Id be willing to spend 150-180 on a decent spec phone. Can somebody recommend me a good upgrade to this?

Why do you want to upgrade.

Theres phones with better camera's is that why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

beauf wrote: »
    What do you do with the broken ones?

Sell them on adverts, only one phone broke that was when I cracked the screen when dropped, buyer had it fixed for 50 quid.

Yeah? Anything you can recommend?

Theres a THL there for 170 I think decent spec too, on my phone so cant link but check out merimobiles.com mixeshop.com etotalk.com chinavasion.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭liamtech

anyone seen any MT6592 Octa Core phones available at reasonable prices within the EU? Just curious like

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Why do you want to upgrade.

Theres phones with better camera's is that why?

Ive had this phone about 18 months now. Good decent crack in the corner of the screen. Its sluggish even after getting rid of apps and factory reset. Just fancy a change

• Advertisement

Ive had this phone about 18 months now. Good decent crack in the corner of the screen. Its sluggish even after getting rid of apps and factory reset. Just fancy a change

Can you get a upgrade on your plan?

... Its sluggish even after getting rid of apps and factory reset. ...

Sluggish on a Quad-core 1.7 GHz? What hope have lesser Android phones?

Sluggish on a Quad-core 1.7 GHz? What hope have lesser Android phones?

Its 18 months old that usually happens.

It released on 4.1.1 unless 4.3/4.4 is a lot more demanding its nuts that a 1.7 quad is slow after a reset back to factory settings.

It released on 4.1.1 unless 4.3/4.4 is a lot more demanding its nuts that a 1.7 quad is slow after a reset back to factory settings.

They degrade after a while, my mates S2 is ready for the scrap heap.

• Advertisement

That something odd about Android. Even S60 wasn't that bad. You could clean it up and it would be fine.

While I do think its that websites and apps are becoming overly bloated. Even making a call on my old Androids became a real pain.

That something odd about Android. Even S60 wasn't that bad. You could clean it up and it would be fine.

While I do think its that websites and apps are becoming overly bloated. Even making a call on my old Androids became a real pain.

I think its a manafactuer thing, S3 goes after a bit oh look buy our new S4.....S5 coming soon!

Its it a problem on phones with stock android. On an older Samsung the amount of bloat crud that its constantly trying to update (most of which isn't on the SD card) is just nauseating. Its not just apps either. The kids use my old phone for games. Its getting hammered for updates and notification for the games. Its a PITA maintaining it. IOS isn't anything like as bad. I'm probably dragging this off topic. So I'll stop.

Is there much bloat on these chinese phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Just bought this will the 3000mah battery!

Lets hope I'll have better luck!

This was sent on Friday :D 3 days after buying! Should have just gone with mixeshop from the start!

Its it a problem on phones with stock android. On an older Samsung the amount of bloat crud that its constantly trying to update (most of which isn't on the SD card) is just nauseating. Its not just apps either. The kids use my old phone for games. Its getting hammered for updates and notification for the games. Its a PITA maintaining it. IOS isn't anything like as bad. I'm probably dragging this off topic. So I'll stop.

Is there much bloat on these chinese phones?

Yeh but theres a great app that removes bloat.

I could get an upgrade yes but want to see what else is out there
    As for my current phone ... It's not rooted so haven't found any app to clear the bloat as much as I'd like.
    Im in no rush to buy so am doing some window shopping to be honest .. if something pops up I'll get it .. if not I'll wait a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I could get an upgrade yes but want to see what else is out there
    As for my current phone ... It's not rooted so haven't found any app to clear the bloat as much as I'd like.
    Im in no rush to buy so am doing some window shopping to be honest .. if something pops up I'll get it .. if not I'll wait a while

Something will always pop up, but if you wait for a few months something better will pop up, and if you then wait another few months something better again will pop up, but you can spend a long time waiting 'another few months'.:D

eamonnq wrote: »
    Something will always pop up, but if you wait for a few months something better will pop up, and if you then wait another few months something better again will pop up, but you can spend a long time waiting 'another few months'.:D

Yeah have that in mind alright .. bloody technology :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the problem with it slowing down with age is because of the emmc storage memory. It only has a limited number of write cycles before performance starts to degrade. And once it starts it just gets worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I think the problem with it slowing down with age is because of the emmc storage memory. It only has a limited number of write cycles before performance starts to degrade. And once it starts it just gets worse and worse.

This. It's also something that is going to happen quicker than it would have years ago. Think of the number of apps that constantly upload & download tiny bits of data, to keep widgets, news apps etc. updated. The size & complexity of 'mobile' sites now, compared to the simple text based affairs of a few years ago. And the frequently updated 1.5gb game downloads, compared to the huge 25mb game downloads of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Yeh but theres a great app that removes bloat.

What is that?

Bloat remover?

abarkie wrote: »
    What is that?

Bloat remover?

Titanium backup can remove any app you want.

Why is Android effected far worse than other OS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why is Android effected far worse than other OS.

It's not. Maybe apple uses better quality chips that can tolerate more write cycles. Although, I've seen plenty of old iOS devices that were slow as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

So I just bought a phone from Mixeshop and it came from China "as is" I didn't get them to do anything technical with it.

So what are the first things I should do with it to get it to behave like a phone bought over here? Completely new to this and any advice appreciated folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

So I just bought a phone from Mixeshop and it came from China "as is" I didn't get them to do anything technical with it.

So what are the first things I should do with it to get it to behave like a phone bought over here? Completely new to this and any advice appreciated folks :)

Depends on which phone you bought.

Get it rooted and put the play store on it.

In other news I still have no update on my phone, starting to think the offer will be like Glenviews and it will be "out of stock" in a few days :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Get it rooted and put the play store on it.

In other news I still have no update on my phone, starting to think the offer will be like Glenviews and it will be "out of stock" in a few days :mad:

Cancel it and order off mixeshop mate!

• Advertisement

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Cancel it and order off mixeshop mate!

I mailed them over the weekend so ill see what the reply is, if I hear nothing by Wednesday ill cancel and get my money back, thank god for paypal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement