Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

The speaker on the G3 and G2S is what I would term as 'passable'. No where near as good as my old S3 but not a deal breaker either....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

look at the Jiayu G4 Advanced

Gizchina link

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought that would be delayed for a year tbh but there are few signs of delays from what Ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Might as well wait for the G4 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Nokia 1.0 for me until this comes out..

• Advertisement

From the link I posted a few posts above, people think that the sim 1 slot could be for a micro sim, I would be very surprised if this is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

My saga. I bought 3 phones. 2 Jiayu G2 and 1 UMi X1. But it hasn't gone well.
    Umi screen cracked in my pocket and lots of fun with supplier trying to get it fixed. Price to fix it changes daily :( Was much less before I posted it back to China. Price went up once they had the phone. That's another story.
    Now my daughters G2 has a big spider web and the screen is unresponsive. The damage probably was down to a bang or knock, she is young. So digitizer is broken i think. Not sure that it's related to the damage since there does seem to be others out there with undamaged screens that are unresponsive, see YouTube. BTW my damaged umi did still work despite the big crack. But the G2 is unresponsive even on the good parts of the screen.
    Anyway, seems to be quite a few sellers selling G2 screens on Aliexpress for about 30 dollars. None selling UMi X1 screens? Don't mean to scare anybody but it seems a common problem on the G2S.
    So, thinking of trying to replace the screen myself. What could possibly go wrong :) Seriously the phone is currently unusable.
    If I do and successful I'll post about it.
    Lots of fun, these Chinese phones. Not sure anymore that they are what they say they are, not gorilla glass anyway.

Are you mixing up G2 and G2S?

Different phones in regards to the screen. Have no problems with my G2S, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

unfortunately quality and safety standards are not so applicable than what European standards are. it's very much buyer beware, for example I wouldn't use any of the chargers they come with.

What is the 3G reception like on the G3 and G2S??

• Advertisement

Zero complaints on the G3 with 3 unlimited data anyway, better than an Xperia Play I had the sim in before, that was on 3G half the time instead of H, G3 is H all the time.

bidiots wrote: »
    Are you mixing up G2 and G2S?

Different phones in regards to the screen. Have no problems with my G2S, love it.

No, I know they're not the same! Several versions of the G2 exist as well. But, some are having issues with g2 screens. And it seems g2s and g3. Hopefully you'll be fine. Hopefully my one remaining good phone will be also.
    But, and I am still fighting the urge to buy G4 when it comes out, I really think there are serious quality control issues with Chinese phones. Now I had a new Nokia screen go black for no reason years ago to be told I dropped it but it seems to me that Chinese sourced phones could be a false economy, not worth the saving. I say sourced since I think they are all made in China anyway but at least there is some quality control on apple, Samsung etc

vin33 wrote: »

No, I know they're not the same! Several versions of the G2 exist as well. But, some are having issues with g2 screens. And it seems g2s and g3. Hopefully you'll be fine. Hopefully my one remaining good phone will be also.
    But, and I am still fighting the urge to buy G4 when it comes out, I really think there are serious quality control issues with Chinese phones. Now I had a new Nokia screen go black for no reason years ago to be told I dropped it but it seems to me that Chinese sourced phones could be a false economy, not worth the saving. I say sourced since I think they are all made in China anyway but at least there is some quality control on apple, Samsung etc

As much as I loved the S3, hasn't there been a huge recall with the S3 just dying? Same when HTC rushed the One X....
    A lot comes down to luck, especially with the less popular models.

bidiots wrote: »

As much as I loved the S3, hasn't there been a huge recall with the S3 just dying? Same when HTC rushed the One X....
    A lot comes down to luck, especially with the less popular models.

I'm sure you right but about luck but for sure there will be differences in after sales. I've had a nightmare with my UMi X1 plus you didn't see a recall despite the fact that the GPS doesn't work on any of the first few batches of the umi.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

There is a good chance the Jiayu G4 could be delayed so I'm considering getting a Newman N2 or a Nexus 4 if the G4 is not released by end of March or beginning of April.

Also the G4 could have a lot of problems at launch, but the Newman N2 and Nexus 4 should be pretty stable right now.

Has anyone on here got any experience with the Newman N2?

Just a quick update on problems I had with the G3 (in case anyone else gets same).

Problem with SD card unmounting seems to be pretty much related to SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 32GB AND Jellybean roms. It seems to be quite a common fault as you can see HERE from search and not unique to G3. I have been using this one now for a week without any problems with JB roms or games.

Edit: GPS is still bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Twice over last two months, my G3 randomly came up with this colour grainy static fuzz like screen (without the bars / icons at the top, it was not the wallpaper). First time around it appeared as if the phone was hung and I cold booted it. Second time (earlier today) it went away when I pressed the power button a couple of times.

color-static-wallpaper-1-1.jpg

Is this some sort of fault? Hardware / ROM? Or just typical Chinese phone err.. feature?

positron wrote: »
    Twice over last two months, my G3 randomly came up with this colour grainy static fuzz like screen (without the bars / icons at the top, it was not the wallpaper). First time around it appeared as if the phone was hung and I cold booted it. Second time (earlier today) it went away when I pressed the power button a couple of times.

color-static-wallpaper-1-1.jpg

Is this some sort of fault? Hardware / ROM? Or just typical Chinese phone err.. feature?

I had that once for a brief second. I thought "oh no", because the same thing started to happen to my experia play before the screen went.

Ive seen that on my Xperia Play aswell before, it was after I fecked up installing cyanogenmod and had to pop the battery to get it to reboot, no idea what it signifys, havent seen it on the G3 anyway.

Crap. e's hoping it was a one off issue or a Rom problem. Sure there's a year warranty anyway, even if it's at the cost of postage.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Crap. e's hoping it was a one off issue or a Rom problem. Sure there's a year warranty anyway, even if it's at the cost of postage.
    not sure if rooting phone invalidates warranty? Haven't a clue myself....

I haven't rooted it, still on whatever ROM that came with the phone (which has been fine for my use in fairness). I will keep in like this for another month or so and see if the issue recurs.

Do you still have loads of Chinese writing and apps hanging around though? You should just root it and uninstall all the bloatware apps, that seems to get rid of all the Chinese writing and it leaves a clean ICS rom, a couple of the Chinese apps are constantly running in the background, it only takes a minute to do anyway.

No, I uninstalled most of them if I remember correctly, got rid of the chinese keyboard etc. There's one Chinese browser-like app that's still there somewhere that comes up in 'Open with' list, but otherwise it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Get In There

Hey guys, can anybody help.. As a ZTE blade user, I treated myself to a G2S phone from mixeshop mainly because of the front camera function which the blade didn't have. This is essential for making video calls. I'm Deaf so making video calls as opposed to sending texts held great appeal.

However the G2S phone arrived today and to my huge disappointment, the front camera quality is pi$$ poor, dark and all weird. Other than that, there are no issues to speak of.

My girlfriend has the G3 phone and her front camera quality is miles better so I know it's not just me.

I complained the Mixeshop asking for a refund with return shipping costs but as luck would have it, they're on holidays today for 2 bloody weeks which is frustrating.

I've googled for results with issues of G2S front camera, but no results. Only got results for the jumping issue which my phone doesn't have. Does any one have any idea if the camera issue can be sorted? Am feeling a bit helpless here.

Thanks.

Since discovering the issue with the phone, it has been sitting in it's box while I have opened a dispute with the seller before escalating it to a claim. The process with paypal has been painfully slow! I'm still waiting to hear about the fate of my claim by the end of the week.

I haven't thought about the phone at all since but it just dawned on me today that even if paypal award the claim in my favour, I will still be out of pocket as I will only be refunded what I paid for the phone and not necessarily the customsfee I had to pay and also the potential return shipping costs.

So if anyone fancies a new Jiayu G2S phone for €140. Send me a PM. The phone has only ever been out of the box for like 4 hours at most before I realised the front camera was iffy.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Noooooooooooo.... my G2+ went into a reboot cycle right after a call and now won't power on.
    I can't even get the red charging LED to come up when I plug into into the USB.
    I think it's dead:eek:

Its probably not dead, pop the battery out for a minute and see, then reflash with flashtool or use clockworkmod recovery if you had that installed.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its probably not dead, pop the battery out for a minute and see, then reflash with flashtool or use clockworkmod recovery if you had that installed.
    Isn't the lack of a power light a bad sign?
    Was hoping my first flash would be Jellybean rather than an emergency repair.:D
    Which flashtool is right for "generic" Android phones?
    http://androxyde.github.com/index.html?1363181272000
    That one?

10 minutes with no battery didn't help. Still no LED at all when I plug in the USB power.

http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.ie/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html
    Everything you need to know for flashing Chinese MTK CPU phones!

I dont know about the G2S there are different versions, 512mb etc, need to research and root it first anyway and then flash one of these Roms:

http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g2-plus/

Probably this one:

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/jiayu-g2-plus-5/

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont know about the G2S there are different versions, 512mb etc, need to research and root it first anyway and then flash one of these Roms:

http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g2-plus/

Probably this one:

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/jiayu-g2-plus-5/
    It's a G2+, not a G2S.
    I think I have all the bits now, but how do I install the driver? If I start up flashtools with the scatter file it just says "searching" forever.

EDIT: WOW!!! That was easy! And fast! I haven't flashed a phone since my old SE W580 days!
    Now to get my settings back!
    MAJOR PHEW!!! :):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement