Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah sorry those are G2 Plus links I gave you. Its usually something along the lines of open Device Manager in Windows, plug in device (device should be off), wait for something with a yellow exclamation mark or warning symbol to appear in Device Manager, right click on it, Update Driver, pick the option that lets you do it manually, navigate to wherever the driver is stored on your pc, point it at that and let it install.

Thats usually how you do it but I dont know what tutorial you're using, also it should be rooted before Flashtool is used usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Thargor, have you tired this out by any chance? Would be interesting to see if it worked for GPS issues

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38778901#post38778901

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It's a G2+, not a G2S.
    I think I have all the bits now, but how do I install the driver? If I start up flashtools with the scatter file it just says "searching" forever.

EDIT: WOW!!! That was easy! And fast! I haven't flashed a phone since my old SE W580 days!
    Now to get my settings back!
    MAJOR PHEW!!! :):):)
    Good stuff, great feeling when you've been banging your head on something like Flashtool then it just works :D
    bidiots wrote: »
    Thargor, have you tired this out by any chance? Would be interesting to see if it worked for GPS issues

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38778901#post38778901
    I suppose I should have tested the GPS before I installed those but I did all it said including ticking all the assisted-geolocation boxes under the GPS sections in Android but I set Google Navigate to destination Dublin from my location and it said searching for GPS and I got a lock in about 60-90 seconds so not too shabby, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just curious what phones would people be interested in buying from china?

Where have I seen the new HTC before :D

xlarge.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Lol, HTC One is a Jiayu G3 clone. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

My imagination, or is battery life crap on 4.1 compared to 4.0? I'm going back if so...

Jellybean is a big improvement for me to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Do any of these phones have a headphone socket.?

All of them will, standard 3.5 mm headphones jack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thargor wrote: »
    Jellybean is a big improvement for me to be honest...
    OK, maybe it's just an extra usage when new thing.
    I definitely can't sync my exchange mail though, so I'm going back to ICS anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Jiayu G4 was looking pretty promising but the "weight (with battery)" is putting me off. 180g for the premium, 3000 mAh battery, version is disappointing if accurate.

The smaller battery version appears to be 160g.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Ordered my G2 to replace my brothers wildfire with I had been using since November :o to replace my broken Samsung.

Here's hoping it's as good as you all say! :D

Link to Pre Production models shipped

Nothing really new but Jiayu shipped out pre production models to testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Read through this very informative thread. Most of you seem to be very technical guys and have flashed and modied your chosen phones. My questions;
    How do these work straight out of the box?
    Do individual network setttings need to be manually entered?
    If flashing/rooting is undertaken, is it straight forward?
    Thanks in advance!

Ordered my G2 to replace my brothers wildfire with I had been using since November :o to replace my broken Samsung.

Here's hoping it's as good as you all say! :D
    G2, G2S or G3?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

When the G4 is actually released, what is the best site to buy from, or do I order straight from Jiayu

Mixieshop probably but we wont know until the time comes, expect them to sell out a couple of times from US/Asian demand aswell.

Mixieshop probably but we wont know until the time comes, expect them to sell out a couple of times from US/Asian demand aswell.

If it's mixeshop.com that you're talking about; that site doesn't have a good reputation - on WoT, at least. [Link]

Fnz wrote: »
    If it's mixeshop.com that you're talking about; that site doesn't have a good reputation - on WoT, at least. [Link]
    Nothing coming out of China is ever going to be as good as Amazon but you have to take into account that it only takes a few hundred complaints to tip those rating sites over to bad when actually if you consider the hundreds of thousands of successful transactions they handle that you're never going to hear about they're actually pretty good, Ive seen Mixieshop praised on these kinds of forums a lot more than criticized anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Comrade Zed

Fnz wrote: »

I bought a G2S from them recently and had no problems with them. I bought it to replace a Wildfire S and am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I updated to the jellybean rom on this link lads. But the flashing light (green for texts, blue for facebook) isn't working anymore. Any fix? I liked the colourdy light:o

It should be working, working for me, is it definitely the official rom cos the comments in that video mention that problem aswell, try installing again or getting the official one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

It should be working, working for me, is it definitely the official rom cos the comments in that video mention that problem aswell, try installing again or getting the official one.

Any link for the official one please?

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/jiayu-g3-10/

The SD card method doesnt work, use Flashtool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do we know what the G4 release date is?

Do we know what the G4 release date is?

Unfortunately not, next two months best guess, but I would expect shortage of stock.

Nothing coming out of China is ever going to be as good as Amazon but you have to take into account that it only takes a few hundred complaints to tip those rating sites over to bad when actually if you consider the hundreds of thousands of successful transactions they handle that you're never going to hear about they're actually pretty good, Ive seen Mixieshop praised on these kinds of forums a lot more than criticized anyway.

Of course, I all comes down to how much stock you put in the reputation site. Personally, I use WoT to help avoid malicious websites and am particulatly careful when it comes to buying online. I'd be wary of buying from a site that had a neutral WoT rating, let alone a negative one.

I don't know what sort of numbers effect the WoT rating, but without knowing much about mixeshop, all I see is that the site has received enough negative ratings to outnumber the positive ones. The few reviews on trustpilot.com aren't amazing, in aggregate.

Here are the WoT ratings for 3 other sites I only discovered in the past week (while looking for smartphones):

Merimobiles.com

Handtek.co.uk

Pandawill.com

WoT isn't the be-all end-all. Despite the excellent-looking rating of Pandawill.com, for example, the comments and other sources paint them in a much less favourable light.

So, WoT is just a tool at the end of the day - but I wanted to put it out there for people to see.
    I bought a G2S from them recently and had no problems with them. I bought it to replace a Wildfire S and am very happy with it.

Glad to hear positive experiences from the site. Any other sites people have used to get these Chinese phones from successfully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, next two months best guess, but I would expect shortage of stock.

Thanks. wont be too fussed on putting a tablet to my ear:D but I'm hoping it will mean a drop in price on the G3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Thanks. wont be too fussed on putting a tablet to my ear:D but I'm hoping it will mean a drop in price on the G3

Overall the G4 will work out smaller if I am not mistaken.

G3: 135 x 65 x 10.8mm
    G4: 133 x 65 x 8.2mm

G4 looks like pretty nice bit of kit just waiting for my Desire to die so I can justify getting one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement