Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

thanks for the info.

i put in a flubit price request for the g3. will be interesting to see what comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Flubit won't give me an offer, as I linked them to pandawill.com and its a foreign retailer

Flubit won't give me an offer, as I linked them to pandawill.com and its a foreign retailer

same here :D only UK and NI retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Got the G3 on DHGate.

Worked out at 139 euro delivered.

Took 3 weeks for everything to go through to delivery.

Got a Silicone Cover and Screen Protector and some "Genuine" Dr Dre Beats (:rolleyes:) headphones :P

Flashed Jellybean onto it, just followed a step by step as I don't have huge knowledge on rooting and flashing devices.

Delighted with it. Best phone i've ever had, and better then any other phones i've used including the older generation iPhones.

Highly recommend it.

Main problem would be battery life, but got Juice Defender on it and that helps a lot. Also, not being on WiFi unnecessarily helps a lot.

Get 2 days battery life out of it with moderate use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bargain price there DDC1990, 40 quid cheaper than me with faster delivery.

Once the novelty wears off and you stop playing with it all the time you'll notice a big boost in battery, in standby it doesnt seem to use any power at all, like maybe 3-4% overnight.

• Advertisement

I was quite lucky with the exchange rate, its now €143.75 but still an excellent price.

The first two days, I had no work so was constantly using it, and downloading apps etc, so WiFi was on constantly, so battery life was quite poor.

Since, its been great. GPS is dodgy. Works fine with WiFi, but won't find the Satellite without using Data, so if you are lost in the middle of no-where don't rely on it :P Haven't tried connecting with the WiFi, and then getting into the car and driving away. Wonder if it would drive fine or would it cut out.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Got the G3 on DHGate.

Worked out at 139 euro delivered.

Took 3 weeks for everything to go through to delivery.

Got a Silicone Cover and Screen Protector and some "Genuine" Dr Dre Beats (:rolleyes:) headphones :P

Flashed Jellybean onto it, just followed a step by step as I don't have huge knowledge on rooting and flashing devices.

Delighted with it. Best phone i've ever had, and better then any other phones i've used including the older generation iPhones.

Highly recommend it.

Main problem would be battery life, but got Juice Defender on it and that helps a lot. Also, not being on WiFi unnecessarily helps a lot.

Get 2 days battery life out of it with moderate use.

What seller did you use. It looks like a marketplace. is there a warranty on the phone?

thanks

Heres the link: http://www.dhgate.com/jiayu-g3-mtk6577-dual-core-android-4-0-dual/p-ff8080813c439fdd013c4bc0fd3e29f0.html

Hope that is allowed by the mods. There was an issue on the Soccer forum with posting DHGate links but i'm not sure what that was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

For anyone with the GS2 can you confirm it works with 3g in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

seannash wrote: »
    For anyone with the GS2 can you confirm it works with 3g in Ireland

Yep.

• Advertisement

Yep.
    Thanks for that.Can I ask is it good to go out of th box or does the phone need to be rooted in order to work

You'll want to root it to get rid of the Chinese stuff, out of the box its half English half Chinese and a bit of a mess, root it and uninstall every Chinese app (wont let you do it if not rooted), there's 3-4 of them and then its pretty much perfect, well worth putting Jellybean on there though.

Rooting is easy anyway, flashing is slightly trickier but easy also, just use one of the step by step tutorials or ask here.

Thargor wrote: »
    You'll want to root it to get rid of the Chinese stuff, out of the box its half English half Chinese and a bit of a mess, root it and uninstall every Chinese app (wont let you do it if not rooted), there's 3-4 of them and then its pretty much perfect, well worth putting Jellybean on there though.

Rooting is easy anyway, flashing is slightly trickier but easy also, just use one of the step by step tutorials or ask here.
    Great stuff,just ordered it there now.My friend has the G3 and its just looks too big to me.The screen is nice though but I'm hoping as the g2s is a smaller screen itll still be impressive.

How are you getting on with yours?

Thanks for that.Can I ask is it good to go out of th box or does the phone need to be rooted in order to work

Mine was rooted out of the box, and also had Jellybean out of the box, so I didn't have to do anything. In any case, even if it wasn't rooted it would still work. The only thing I don't like about this phone (and it appears to be the same with the G3?) is the GPS is terrible. If you have to rely on the GPS alone to fix a location, you may forget it.

Thargor wrote: »

There wasn't much Chinese stuff on mine. Once I set the keyboard to the default Android keyboard, I was good to go. I think I uninstalled one app.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

G4 is delayed until 15th May apparently due to software and hardware issues

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?19336-Jiayu-G4-stock-information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

What kind of battery life are ye getting from these phones if your browsing a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

G4 is delayed until 15th May apparently due to software and hardware issues

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?19336-Jiayu-G4-stock-information

:-(

GAWD dammit I want this to come out so I can see some real reviews and maybe give them a load of money

• Advertisement

What kind of battery life are ye getting from these phones if your browsing a lot?
    How much is a lot? If I browsed on the phone the way I do on the laptop Id only get 6-7 hours use out of it, Id consider myself a fairly heavy mobile user though and I make it to the end of the day with 50% battery left, battery life is okay-good, cant be any more specific.
    mawk wrote: »

GAWD dammit I want this to come out so I can see some real reviews and maybe give them a load of money
    Knew that would happen, and it will be delayed again next month and so will this upgraded G3 they're talking about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

They are probably trying to make the G4 an eight core now that S4 is out with that... I am just guessing, but I suppose this is how rumours start...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

mawk wrote: »

Seriously, it could be September before there is a supply chain for these, the early ones should be avoided so 'creases' can be ironed out...

Just noticed in this thread people complaining about Temple Run 2 stuttering on the new HTC One X, Ive seen a lot of places complaining about it being a resource hog aswell but the G3 and I assume the G2s runs it flawlessly and a lot more demanding than that like Dead Trigger aswell:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83998669#post83998669

Not to sound like a Jiayu fanboy or something but this is really the only way to go with phones in future especially if you are PAYG, people are being ripped off without knowing it.

Look at the new HTC first being announced today aka the Facebook Phone, practically the same spec as the 12 month old G3 with a smaller screen but it costs $450 PAYG in the US, that'll be closer to $500 for one in Europe, compared to $150 for a G3 and probably $200 or so for the superior G4? Ill probably never buy a Samsung/HTC/LG/Sony again and definitely never giving Apple any money.

Hey lads,just got my Jiayu gs2 today.Have t say I'm extremely impressed.It looks fantastic,much better than the g3 in my opinion.
    It doesn't have that cheap plastic back like the g3

I'm having a problem with my mac not seeing it when I connect the phone via USB
    anybody had this problem or knows a fix for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Hey lads,just got my Jiayu gs2 today.Have t say I'm extremely impressed.It looks fantastic,much better than the g3 in my opinion.
    It doesn't have that cheap plastic back like the g3

Android file transfer app can be got for the Mac that should work

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I am really debating whether there is any point in buying a Jiayu g3 now when phones like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK4meZf_F24 are around.

Antutu scores seem to be firmly clocked at 12000 for the Thl W8 while Jiayu g3 gets a 5500 it seems on average.

Jiayu g3 users, I want to know a few things. I really like the look of the Jiayu g3, far much more than any other chinese android. But,

1) How **** is the camera? I've heard nothing but bad things..
    2) Can it record 720p video?
    3) During day to day use, is there any lag at all?
    4) Is the screen beautiful?
    5) Is it too thick? Objectively speaking
    6) Is the sound good when earphones are used?

Hope you hear from you guys soon!
    6)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Doesn't it just come up as a USB stick when you take that option after connecting it?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Doesn't it just come up as a USB stick when you take that option after connecting it?
    I actually got it fixed,not sure what happened :)

• Advertisement

So just a small review of the Jiayu gs2.
    Ive only had it one day but this is my impressions so far.

In my opinion its alot more solid and alot better looking than the G3.
    It feels very very solid.some people have remarked that its heavy but its not abnormally heavy.It just feels solid(Sorry for overusing that word),kinda like an Iphone 3G.

I was very concerned with the look of the phone after seeing my friends G3 as I thought the very obvious plastic back just ruined the look of the G3 but I couldnt be happier with how the Gs2 looks.

It came rooted straight out of the box,the only thing I had to do was change the keyboard and uninstall 1 Chinese app and I was good to go.
    Also had to set google.ie as my homepage for the default browser,again really easy to do.
    Play store was preinstalled

Jelly bean is very slick,not thrilled with the stock wallpapers but thats something that I can change further down the line.everything is really smooth

Browsing is fine.Its quick,about as quick as my macbook pro is so no complaints there.

I initially had a problem connecting to my wifi router but this was a router problem not the phone.

Camera is good,havent given it a decent test but its comparable to my Iphone 4s whos camera I loved.Not bothered with video so didnt even test it(Sorry)

Screen is great,really great.I mean its not the best out there but its a quality screen,noone could have complaints about it.

call quality is good and the phone functions like it should

All in all I'm very very happy with it so far.I would definetly urge people to choose this over the G3.Its the same specs bar the screen size but 4 inches is plenty but the build quality is far superior(Cant stress that enough)

I'm gonna say the battery is the "bad" point with the phone but its typical for a smartphone.I just about got the full day out of it and that was with some heavy use in the morning as I played around with it.As I get over the new toy buzz I'm sure i'll easily get the full day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement