Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

mintydan wrote: »
    Yipee! Got the Newman N2 today from mixeshop. Took 15 days by EuEXP so not too bad.
    Love the screen and the OS seems to run smoothly and snappily.
    Haven't managed to find the right windows 7 drivers yet though.
    Anyone else have driver issues?

Vondroid is best forum for N2 I think, they have a very good faq section

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mintydan

T-Bird wrote: »
    Vondroid is best forum for N2 I think, they have a very good faq section

Thanks a mil T-Bird. Vondroid's got tons of helpful stuff for the N2.
    Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Thanks guys
    Just so I am clear, if it has MTK6589T and not MTK6589 then I can go for it based on my need to just have GPS satnav, music player, mhl function, and not expecting the phone to be exactly like the Note 3?
    I will ask the website involved whether or not it is MTK6589T but I will also look for reviews tonight when I get the chance and check things like AnTuTu for user reviews which will surely show whether or not it has the chipset that has good gps function.

I have that chipset myself, i personally have not experienced poor GPS, but many others have. I'd stay clear if you're looking for high quality GPS.

Maybe a phone is not what you're after if its all about the GPS signal anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Sorry, but no. Navigation is generally better with a phone these days than with a standalone GPS unit, because of the addition of mobile network location data. The problem is specifically with some Mediatek chipsets.

The GPS in my last three HTC handsets has put anything else I've used to shame, particularly the Garmin I used to have. But even the Garmin was better than the /appalling/ GPS in my THL T100S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Didnt get a chance to look last night. Wifes birthday tonight so wont look tonight either. Im kind of leaning toward that no 1 phone if the gps works properly on it...although there were other note 3 replicas there too but mhl was the crucial difference. Question, if the gps/ chipset is crap, do these websites accept returns in anyones experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Thank god I dont care about GPS I can buy what I like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Didnt get a chance to look last night. Wifes birthday tonight so wont look tonight either. Im kind of leaning toward that no 1 phone if the gps works properly on it...although there were other note 3 replicas there too but mhl was the crucial difference. Question, if the gps/ chipset is crap, do these websites accept returns in anyones experience?

Take a look at the Meizu MX3,, the GPS is rock solid as it everything about the phone, its an absolutely stunning phone. Only possible downside for you is its only got a 5.1" screen. I'll echo what people have been advising about staying away from Mediateck chipsets if you want a solid GPS and stay away from the clones too. There's a high chance of them getting confiscated by customs. There's far better legitimate phones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You really are restricting yourself just so you can use the accessories of the old phone.
    My advice is just buy new accessories and get yourself a fantastic chinese branded phone. Id say wit your price range you coud come very close to the specs of the Note 3
    Theres plenty out there when you look past the note 3 clones. The reason your having a hard time is because chinese branded phones have moved well beyond replicating other well known brands and have there own original designs as they are now credible brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

So I ordered a new Samsung last night.

The Jiayu G5 Advanced is great but the strength of the signal where I live on it isn't what the iphone i had used be.

Going to stick it on the adverts and the bay and see how much i get offered.

Great phone but the signal issue is a bit annoying now.

Glenviewjf wrote: »

The Jiayu G5 Advanced is great but the strength of the signal where I live on it isn't what the iphone i had used be.

How much will you sell it for?

• Advertisement

I'd be happy to get around 160ish I'd say!

That said its only a month old :P and have the bigger battery and new cases but just not for me where I live anyhow.

I'd be happy to get around 160ish I'd say!

That said its only a month old :P and have the bigger battery and new cases but just not for me where I live anyhow.

Avoid adverts then, hate selling chinese phones on it.

Ya I was thinking I didn't need a freddo, a nokia 3210 and a curly wurly in exchange ha

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

PM Sent

Mars Bar wrote: »
    PM Sent

Nobody tell adverts.ie they will want their 3 euro success fee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Yipee! Got the Newman N2 today from mixeshop. Took 15 days by EuEXP so not too bad.
    Love the screen and the OS seems to run smoothly and snappily.
    Haven't managed to find the right windows 7 drivers yet though.
    Anyone else have driver issues?

Does yours turn the screen on for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just had a look at a new phone coming out called the Oneplus One.
    They are having this invite only sale on the the minute.
    Its supposed to be 200usd, some phone for the price.

Does yours turn the screen on for no reason?

It seems that there are quite a few problems with the Digma Rom supplied on the N2 mobiles. See screen problem like yours and fix HERE

Mine did same, but had a few other problems with it as well. I tried flashing a few custom JB roms on it and they all lagged badly and had terrible battery charging and problems. In the end I downgraded it to ICS and it works perfectly.

Also added a few scripts to it via Xposed installer to make it look good.

There are a quite a few posts on Needrom that will help with problems such as GPS.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Take a look at the Meizu MX3,, the GPS is rock solid as it everything about the phone, its an absolutely stunning phone. Only possible downside for you is its only got a 5.1" screen. I'll echo what people have been advising about staying away from Mediateck chipsets if you want a solid GPS and stay away from the clones too. There's a high chance of them getting confiscated by customs. There's far better legitimate phones out there.

Looks a good phone but it doesnt have mhl. The search continues. I tell you something, its just as well posters here mentioned the mtk gps problem...i'd have been so disappointed

Yeah mistress_gi it does, all the digma linx builds seem to.
    Does yours overheat too? Also i've a problem with no mobile network data and intermittent GPS.
    I read up a bit on vondroid. There seem to be fixes for most of these things.
    Guess it maybe explains the low-ish price.
    Altho if we get evthing sorted its still a bargain.

Hey T-Bird, thanks for these other links as well, you're a great help.
    What d'you think about cwm recovery and flash a new or older rom?

Which method would you use to root?
    The ExynosAbuse one?
    Thx Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Are you actually dropping calls??

A difference in the Signal bars between two different phones means damn all really. If you are able to make and receive calls and texts and the data is working there might not be a need to get rid of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3ykRyWXuM

Also can I ask where you ordered the G5 from.

There are lots of links for fixes if I type into google MtK gps. Do the fixes work? What is the actual issue with the gps on them does anyone know with some clarity? Surely they are not selling phones with non existant gps? I it that it drops or its inaccurate or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Does yours overheat too? Also i've a problem with no mobile network data and intermittent GPS.

The ExynosAbuse one?
    Thx Dan

Haven't had a problem with the mobile internet but I had to manually change the mobile network to 3 from the list otherwise it would just jump into other networks with better signal going into roaming and dropping the net connection all together but never had an issue since I did this.
    It overheats a bit alright but only when the screen is on otherwise temp is absolutely fine.

The ExynosAbuse one?
    Thx Dan

It all worked very well, but it shut down a few times today. Not sure why, but could be because I overloaded it a bit... But it seems that the CPU works a lot better with ICE roms. I think this is only because nothing has been released from the manufacturers to help towards any later android operating systems.

I am going to try and see what Google clean rom is like next.

I just enjoy messing and experimenting with software etc, and am finding this phone to be quite a challenge.

I might have given out quite a bit against the Jiayu G3 I bought over a year ago in this thread, but it is still head and shoulders above most of them.

Edit: I found https://code.google.com/p/findlee-development/downloads/detail?name=CWM-Recovery-v.6.0.2.9-by-Findlee-v.1.zip&can=2&q=#makechangesCWM by Findee to be the best one that got me out of trouble. That alone took about 4 hours to find.

I have to say though that so far it has been an easy phone to fix once you have found out if something has gone wrong with it.

I keep on adding to this post, but I suppose at the end of the day, this phone has a great rom, but the software provided for it is pretty crap...

seannash wrote: »
    Are you actually dropping calls??

A difference in the Signal bars between two different phones means damn all really. If you are able to make and receive calls and texts and the data is working there might not be a need to get rid of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3ykRyWXuM

Also can I ask where you ordered the G5 from.

I'm not dropping calls I just can't receive any since I've moved job because of weak signal in the area where as my iPhone whom herself is using on the same network has a few bars! It was grand while I was in Dublin as I always had full 3g, just poor area now.

Mixeshop!

T-Bird wrote: »
    It all worked very well, but it shut down a few times today. Not sure why, but could be because I overloaded it a bit... But it seems that the CPU works a lot better with ICE roms. I think this is only because nothing has been released from the manufacturers to help towards any later android operating systems.

I am going to try and see what Google clean rom is like next.

I just enjoy messing and experimenting with software etc, and am finding this phone to be quite a challenge.

I might have given out quite a bit against the Jiayu G3 I bought over a year ago in this thread, but it is still head and shoulders above most of them.

Edit: I found code.google... by Findee to be the best one that got me out of trouble. That alone took about 4 hours to find.

I have to say though that so far it has been an easy phone to fix once you have found out if something has gone wrong with it.

I keep on adding to this post, but I suppose at the end of the day, this phone has a great rom, but the software provided for it is pretty crap...

Have you tried the update firmware C8690_4.1_00.13_user_2014042113.zip.
    There's a link in the 'Screen keeps on flashing' thread on Vondroid
    No root required. Might be the answer.

Anyone bought the Elephone P6? Seen a few people here have the p7 mini and p9 but searched p6 here and nothing on it.
    Reviews inline say the gps is not affected like other mtk stuff.
    Seriously thinking of going for it now. Two versions available p6 and p6s. Thoughts welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Ok guys, my nerves are shot. I just ordered an Iocean X7 from bangood.com. My budget was €120 so I couldn't go for the newer fancier octacore phones but no matter. I am currently using a Nokia Lumia 520 so anything is a step up from that. :D

I'm so nervous now, as €130 (ended up paying) is alot of money to me, can anyone help me and answer a couple of questions.

1. Any bad reports about bang good.com (sold out on aliexpress and too dear on dhgate)? I went for the xpedited delivery service (the most expensive one) so I hope that was a good move.

2. Will the phone arrive ready to use or will I have a bit of work to do first, flashing etc? I know Tuborg_Man received one recently (maybe he could help?)

3. If I get caught for customs, how much will I pay, I know the baseline is about €25 euro and duty due on anything after that.

Any help/putting my nerves at rest would be appreciated.

Ok guys, my nerves are shot. I just ordered an Iocean X7 from bangood.com. My budget was €120 so I couldn't go for the newer fancier octacore phones but no matter. I am currently using a Nokia Lumia 520 so anything is a step up from that. :D

I'm so nervous now, as €130 (ended up paying) is alot of money to me, can anyone help me and answer a couple of questions.

1. Any bad reports about bang good.com (sold out on aliexpress and too dear on dhgate)? I went for the xpedited delivery service (the most expensive one) so I hope that was a good move.

2. Will the phone arrive ready to use or will I have a bit of work to do first, flashing etc? I know Tuborg_Man received one recently (maybe he could help?)

3. If I get caught for customs, how much will I pay, I know the baseline is about €25 euro and duty due on anything after that.

Any help/putting my nerves at rest would be appreciated.

It should arrive ready to work, customs is hit and miss so nobody could really answer that just depends whether they mark it as full price etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

It should arrive ready to work, customs is hit and miss so nobody could really answer that just depends whether they mark it as full price etc.

Thanks Mick you're always a great help. Seems like a v nice phone for the money, so I'm reasonably happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement