Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Barr wrote: »
    I would prefer to see a seperate thread for both. Much handier for someone looking to buy a phone or tablet to get the relevant information.

Im the opposite tbh, maybe a poll should be put in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Im the opposite tbh, maybe a poll should be put in ?

Think this is a good idea , get to work Mick :D

Barr wrote: »
    Think this is a good idea , get to work Mick :D

Feck it anyway leave the new thread :p

Sooooooooooooo tempted to get the Jiayu octa core from etotalk, anyone wanna give me the lowdown on a etotalk rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I too would like to know this. still thinking of getting the thl iron man or the kingzone k1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Well good news regarding my W200, after wiping it and spending a while messing around with different ROMs (MIUI looking nice but ultimately feeling very slow and bloated) I've upgraded to the latest firmware and taken a hatchet to as much of the core apps that I've replaced with better stuff and everything seems to be working find again. One slightly weird bug is that my phone now seems to think the SD card and the internal storage have swapped with one another but it doesn't really make any difference to me.

One other thing, I can't seem to get CWM to boot into Recovery by holding the physical keys, have to use an app to reboot into it, anyone else have any experience with this? Vol Down + Power boots into the Chinese default recovery but Vol Up + Power doesn't seem to work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have you tried flashing another recovery? never had any problems getting in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Tried to post a link but not letting me.
    The jiayu g4s on mixeshop.
    this must be the cheapest octa core 2gb ram phone a fairly well known brand?

honda boi wrote: »
    Tried to post a link but not letting me.
    The jiayu g4s on mixeshop.
    this must be the cheapest octa core 2gb ram phone a fairly well known brand?

Thinking of getting it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have you tried flashing another recovery? never had any problems getting in myself.

I might at some point, as of now it's really only mildly inconvenient but I was just wondering of anyone else had the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

its something you should definitely look into, if only for the small chance that the ROM breaks and you cant access the phone anymore.

A safety net, shall we say.

Have a look at TWRP if you go to flash a new recovery. Much more user friendly than CWM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Ok, guys help me out here any of you that have had deliveries through DHL, what are we talking about here, I gather from this tracking info my phone is in Hong Kong, so if the phone does not get held up in customs, realistically when can I expect it here in Dublin?? :confused:

Reference Code:*********
    Ship Type:HKDHL
    Description:item A0000********** Depart from Flytexpress Sorting Center to xxxxxxxxxxxxx IRELAND at 2014/5/2 19:42:22

Shipment Travel History
    Status:Shipment information received; Location:HONG KONG - HONG KONG; Date:Monday, May 05, 2014 ; Time:14:14
    Departured at 2014/5/2 19:42:22 from Flytexpress Sorting Center location
    Electronic data received at 2014/4/28 17:54:41, Flytexpress Sorting Center
    If you have questions regarding the delivery, please contact the shipper/seller handling the shipment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Ok, guys help me out here any of you that have had deliveries through DHL, what are we talking about here, I gather from this tracking info my phone is in Hong Kong, so if the phone does not get held up in customs, realistically when can I expect it here in Dublin?? :confused:

Reference Code:*********
    Ship Type:HKDHL
    Description:item A0000********** Depart from Flytexpress Sorting Center to xxxxxxxxxxxxx IRELAND at 2014/5/2 19:42:22

Shipment Travel History
    Status:Shipment information received; Location:HONG KONG - HONG KONG; Date:Monday, May 05, 2014 ; Time:14:14
    Departured at 2014/5/2 19:42:22 from Flytexpress Sorting Center location
    Electronic data received at 2014/4/28 17:54:41, Flytexpress Sorting Center
    If you have questions regarding the delivery, please contact the shipper/seller handling the shipment
    Tomorrow or Thursday I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Quantum24

Ok have been following this thread for awhile.Finally bite the bullet and bought the jiayu g4s. Tried to get it from mixeshop but had paypal problems,so i got it from jiayu.es it was more expensive.ordered on sunday and recieved it today very quick service.
    First impressions its a very nice phone not to big. It arrived rooted with play store and no chinese apps. Its very fast (compared to g300!!). Will update after using it for awhile.

Quantum24 wrote: »
    Ok have been following this thread for awhile.Finally bite the bullet and bought the jiayu g4s. Tried to get it from mixeshop but had paypal problems,so i got it from jiayu.es it was more expensive.ordered on sunday and recieved it today very quick service.
    First impressions its a very nice phone not to big. It arrived rooted with play store and no chinese apps. Its very fast (compared to g300!!). Will update after using it for awhile.

Can Jiayu.es be translated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Can Jiayu.es be translated?

Chrome translates it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seanin4711 wrote: »

Good news, ill still get my Jiayu before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Good news, ill still get my Jiayu before that though.

I was looking long and hard at the new Jiayu, have a 4G and it's a lovely phone, bar trying to charge it.
    I have looked at sending it back but ara, the hassle.

Now the OnePlus One expected to be able to buy in June....well...that's a different story altogether.
    Its a monster.

Panthro wrote: »
    I was looking long and hard at the new Jiayu, have a 4G and it's a lovely phone, bar trying to charge it.
    I have looked at sending it back but ara, the hassle.

Now the OnePlus One expected to be able to buy in June....well...that's a different story altogether.
    Its a monster.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/oneplus-one/21956/oneplus-one-release-date-confirmed-q2-2014-insane-specs-killer-price

Oh sweet Jesus, I love it. My iocean x7hd which I'm waiting on is like the old nokia 5110 compared to that, sob sob.

5.5 inch too big for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

seanin4711 wrote: »

My elephone p6s is en route, that link mentions p8 and p9, does that mean it isn't available for p6s so?? Should I ask Elephone directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

5.5 inch too big for me :)

***sniggers***
    heheehe!:D

Panthro wrote: »
    ***sniggers***
    heheehe!:D

Was waiting for that :pac:

Quick question lads, have been looking for the answer on DHL site for this but can't find it. If I am caught for VAT on my Chinese Phone, at what stage do I pay for it and how can I pay for it? e.g can I pay over the phone with my visa card?

I'm asking because the phone will be delivered to my job and the porter will take in the package, so I want to make sure he won't be stung for the fee and would like to sort it all out before hand.

Your advice would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Quick question lads, have been looking for the answer on DHL site for this but can't find it. If I am caught for VAT on my Chinese Phone, at what stage do I pay for it and how can I pay for it? e.g can I pay over the phone with my visa card?

I'm asking because the phone will be delivered to my job and the porter will take in the package, so I want to make sure he won't be stung for the fee and would like to sort it all out before hand.

Your advice would be great, thanks.

I got a call from DHL looking for payment before they would deliver, I paid with a debit card and was given a payment code to tell to the delivery driver if he looked for payment (which he did).

This site will give you an estimate of VAT/Duty cost excluding anything DHL may add. http://www.dutycalculator.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Still looking at different options. I had a look at the Moto G which was recommended to me a few pages back, which is a great bit of kit.

I also had a look at this Cubot.

Has anyone experience with the Cubot brand?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Still looking at different options. I had a look at the Moto G which was recommended to me a few pages back, which is a great bit of kit.

I also had a look at this Cubot.

Has anyone experience with the Cubot brand?

Most have been good review from what ive seen, only bad review was poor sound on calls, but again all phones from China are hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Most have been good review from what ive seen, only bad review was poor sound on calls, but again all phones from China are hit and miss.

Would you think it's worth a punt in that case?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Would you think it's worth a punt in that case?

For the price yes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1-S5-phone-I9600-G900-MTK6582-Quad-core-Android-4-4-2-Kitkat-5-1/1808018344.html?s=p

I really like the look of that phone, anyone have any experience with those type of devices?
    I like the way they have one screenshot saying Sa****g :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement