Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

meathawk wrote: »
    5) Is it too thick? Objectively speaking
    Er... maybe, IMO.:)
    (subjectively?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

according to an article on that site the quad core version of the g3 Is due mid april

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

anyone know if the G2S is A2DP 1.2 & AVRCP 1.3 (or 1.4) compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

seannash wrote: »
    So just a small review of the Jiayu gs2.
    Ive only had it one day but this is my impressions so far.

In my opinion its alot more solid and alot better looking than the G3.
    It feels very very solid.some people have remarked that its heavy but its not abnormally heavy.It just feels solid(Sorry for overusing that word),kinda like an Iphone 3G.

I was very concerned with the look of the phone after seeing my friends G3 as I thought the very obvious plastic back just ruined the look of the G3 but I couldnt be happier with how the Gs2 looks.

It came rooted straight out of the box,the only thing I had to do was change the keyboard and uninstall 1 Chinese app and I was good to go.
    Also had to set google.ie as my homepage for the default browser,again really easy to do.
    Play store was preinstalled

Jelly bean is very slick,not thrilled with the stock wallpapers but thats something that I can change further down the line.everything is really smooth

Browsing is fine.Its quick,about as quick as my macbook pro is so no complaints there.

I initially had a problem connecting to my wifi router but this was a router problem not the phone.

Camera is good,havent given it a decent test but its comparable to my Iphone 4s whos camera I loved.Not bothered with video so didnt even test it(Sorry)

Screen is great,really great.I mean its not the best out there but its a quality screen,noone could have complaints about it.

call quality is good and the phone functions like it should

All in all I'm very very happy with it so far.I would definetly urge people to choose this over the G3.Its the same specs bar the screen size but 4 inches is plenty but the build quality is far superior(Cant stress that enough)

I'm gonna say the battery is the "bad" point with the phone but its typical for a smartphone.I just about got the full day out of it and that was with some heavy use in the morning as I played around with it.As I get over the new toy buzz I'm sure i'll easily get the full day.

Have to agree with most of this. I prefer my G2S to the G3. The build quality is what makes the major difference I think.
    Now I have to give herself my phone and buy another, I don't know whether to just buy another G2S or to try another brand, I'll start a thread and see what people think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Has anyone else found that with their G2S that people find it difficult to hear them on the other end? According to my other half, I sound quite far away on the phone and my mum can never hear me properly. Has anyone else had this problem or should I try sending the phone back or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Any more opinions on the robustness of the G3? Hearing the back case tends to chip and break. Suppose I can always pick up a couple of spares if I order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It's a generic plastic back like has been on phones since the beginning and calculators before that, nothing fragile about it that I can see.

Any more opinions on the robustness of the G3? Hearing the back case tends to chip and break. Suppose I can always pick up a couple of spares if I order one.

The 3 S is due out this month.

• Advertisement

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-5-quad-core-Jiayu-G3-MTK-6589-Smartphone-1280-720p-gorilla-glass-screen-phone-Bluetooth/841889030.html

$223

its a quad core version of the G3.
    Can only find it on Aliexpress and assume it will be available elsewhere soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-5-quad-core-Jiayu-G3-MTK-6589-Smartphone-1280-720p-gorilla-glass-screen-phone-Bluetooth/841889030.html

$223

its a quad core version of the G3.
    Can only find it on Aliexpress and assume it will be available elsewhere soon

Try sending them a mail asking about availability etc,I have a feeling they will say out of stock.

Try sending them a mail asking about availability etc,I have a feeling they will say out of stock.

Got an email back...available early may :mad:

Got an email back...available early may :mad:

Thought so :D im tempted by the thl w8 or the newman 2 dunno which though.

Thought so :D im tempted by the thl w8 or the newman 2 dunno which though.

Was tempted by the thl too but the size of battery put me off...big screen needs a bigger battery imo

bidiots wrote: »
    Was tempted by the thl too but the size of battery put me off...big screen needs a bigger battery imo

Yeh true and the Newman just looks a tad better.I might hold out for the blu life one.

Got another G2S delivered but the nice people at customs decided to hit me for VAT of 23%. Total cost for phone now comes near 200 quid. Hongkonggeek promise to pay customs if you are caught but their selection is not as good...

It's still a brilliant phone for the money but when Customs start hitting the deliveries, the brilliant deal just turns into a good deal....

Feckers:mad:

bidiots wrote: »
    Got another G2S delivered but the nice people at customs decided to hit me for VAT of 23%. Total cost for phone now comes near 200 quid. Hongkonggeek promise to pay customs if you are caught but their selection is not as good...

It's still a brilliant phone for the money but when Customs start hitting the deliveries, the brilliant deal just turns into a good deal....

Feckers:mad:

They forgot to label the box as "sample" ;)

Doesn't matter, it's the luck of the draw whether customs pull it in or not. Once you give proof of purchase, doesn't matter what its labeled as:o

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Hi,
    Just received my Jiayu G2S 20 minutes ago. So far so good, looks and feels good.
    Had the firmware rooted by provider and it is now 4.1.2.( I don't really know what exactly this means except its up to date:))

General Info:
    Ordered from merimobiles and it took 2 weeks to arrive. ( It was only picked up from merimobiles on Tuesday and arrived today by DHL, had to pay extra €19.99 vat) It was labeled as used phone and valued at $30

Just a couple of queries if some one could help or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Is there a designated Jiayu website/app i.e. like Nokia suite where you can add contacts , down load photos, up load music?
    Basically my last phone was a basic nokia and on the PC I used Nokia suite.

Are there any instruction manuals available?

Alas I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to smartphones.

Thanks

Good One

• Advertisement

Have you a Gmail account? If not, set one up and your contacts will be synced to the account as well as many other options.

20euro VAT? Taking into account that its 23% of the total cost, this means you got the phone in for 80euro?

Sorry not vat, Customs import taxes.

I have a gmail account , will the phone automatically sync with the account?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Uninstall any apps with Chinese characters in the title Good One and install a keyboard app from the Play Market, Swiftkeyis the best but some of the free ones are good too. No instruction manuals, its Android Jellybean so the internet is your instruction manual. Loads of sync/music/photo apps on the Play Market you just have to jump in, seems very complicated at first but it'll be no bother in a couple of weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Can anyone on any Jiayu phone running 4.1.2 tell me if they can sync mail with an exchange server? I certainly can't find a way to. (calender and sending mail is fine, just the mail folders won't sync).

You'll probably need an SD card aswell.

Go to Swype website for a free keyboard, it's better than Swiftkey in my opinion(no offence Thar).
    Download Zedge for backgrounds, Handcent for texts, WhatsApp for free texting to other friends with WhatsApp, Wuala for secure file storage, or dropbox for less secure.

That should get you started anyway

Enjoy

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Can anyone on any Jiayu phone running 4.1.2 tell me if they can sync mail with an exchange server? I certainly can't find a way to. (calender and sending mail is fine, just the mail folders won't sync).

I've mine synced with my work mail with a 'Corporate' account, maybe try this rather than Exchange, if you know the settings of course....

Thanks Thargor & bidots ( and any body else )

Anybody any idea about enabling the second sim. Have one sim going but cant seem to activate the second.

Looks like a busy week ahead at work................

One sim is for 2G(G) and one is for 3G(W). Goto Sim Management and you can set them up from there although they should both be set to 'on' and work straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement

Tempted to get the G3 now due to the low price,I want a really good screen so the G2 wouldnt be my cup of tea,anyone wanna give me a quick review of the G3? hows the battery life? will I have to download the play store etc

Edit anyone willing to sell a G3 let me know :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement