Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    No... Still saying "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)". It changed to Dispatched on the 9th at 17:08. Track17 says its in transit.

Have you received any update?

So I suppose I just wait until it arrives in Ireland.

Anyone know how long can take?

What company did you buy it from and what type of delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

What company did you buy it from and what type of delivery?

Pandawill and standard airmail (snailmail)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

A word of warning for anyone considering the Xaomi Red Rice

There seems to be an issue with the 3G

Not sure if it affects other models

Its discussed at the bottom of this review from Giz China

Shame really as it’s a great phone for the money

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/06/05/review-fortnight-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quite-rounder/

Pandawill and standard airmail (snailmail)

Ah in my experience I have waited 3-4 weeks for snail mail, hopefully it arrives soon for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

No... Still saying "Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE)". It changed to Dispatched on the 9th at 17:08. Track17 says its in transit.

Have you received any update?

So I suppose I just wait until it arrives in Ireland.

Anyone know how long can take?

The live chat guy said it will be sent in 3-8 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Ah in my experience I have waited 3-4 weeks for snail mail, hopefully it arrives soon for you.

Is there anyway to track it's movements after dispatch?

Is there anyway to track it's movements after dispatch?

Honestly its about 5 years since I last used it so I cant even remember sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Hi there,

"ordering an android phone from China" virgin here, but been watching and reading this thread for a while.

I need to upgrade my phone. Would like a SGS5, but for €600 unlocked, no - not paying that.

I'd happily order a handset that is like the SGS5, or HTc M8 - just need one that works well, has good wifi, good signal, and a good camera.

any recommendations please?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Hi there,

"ordering an android phone from China" virgin here, but been watching and reading this thread for a while.

I need to upgrade my phone. Would like a SGS5, but for €600 unlocked, no - not paying that.

I'd happily order a handset that is like the SGS5, or HTc M8 - just need one that works well, has good wifi, good signal, and a good camera.

any recommendations please?

What kind of price are you thinking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

What kind of price are you thinking?

Can do about €200 delivered.

Also, its got to be able to tether\be a portable hotspot for my tablet.

Am i being to needy for the cash?

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Can do about €200 delivered.

Also, its got to be able to tether\be a portable hotspot for my tablet.

Am i being to needy for the cash?

Not really, check Merimobiles, Mixeshop, Pandawill, chinavasion, aliexpress, or etotalk among others for decent spec phones in that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'm interested in a dual sim Android phone, maybe the Moto G. Or Samsung Galaxy S something mini. I'd want something that could run the latest version of Android as well as have the latest version of Bluetooth (I think it's 4).

Any recommendations? I have a Irish number and UK number and it would be good to have one phone that I could use both with.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you want the lastest version of android, chinese mobiles is not the place for you. All seem very slow at getting 4.4 out.

RossieMan wrote: »
    If you want the lastest version of android, chinese mobiles is not the place for you. All seem very slow at getting 4.4 out.

Most sites have a few advertised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Most sites have a few advertised though.

Beware of 4.4 lookalikes....

T-Bird wrote: »
    Beware of 4.4 lookalikes....

Refund :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I currently have a galaxy s2, which of these phones would you recommend for me, i'm looking for s2/s3 type i think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I currently have a galaxy s2, which of these phones would you recommend for me, i'm looking for s2/s3 type i think?

I have a jiayu g3s, its excellent. The g4s look good as well.

Tbh most Chinese androids are a step above the S2 now, you are pretty much spoilt for choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have a jiayu g3s, its excellent. The g4s look good as well.

Thank you
    What's the best website to check out for prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Thank you
    What's the best website to check out for prices?

I'm a longtime lurker, like yourself, I've been looking at pandawill, merimobiles, mixeshop and etotalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have the G4S and love it, the flash is perfect on it.

That's essentially the same as the one I have and the flash on it is sh*te, tbh.

edit: Is the "s" version the octacore? My wife has that. I might check to see if hers is better. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I had a close escape with my Lenovo S650 which BTW is performing really well.

The phone said an update is available and I downloaded it. Bad move! I got loads of chinese apps & other crap, and I lost all the Google stuff.

It took a while but I managed to get hold of the proper factory ROM & USB drivers, and restore the original firmware version onto the phone using Flashtools. I feel like a real phone hacker now :D

So everyone with a chinese phone, think twice & check it out before downloading any 'upgrade'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

deandean wrote: »

The phone said an update is available and I downloaded it. Bad move! I got loads of chinese apps & other crap, and I lost all the Google stuff.

It took a while but I managed to get hold of the proper factory ROM & USB drivers, and restore the original firmware version onto the phone using Flashtools. I feel like a real phone hacker now :D

So everyone with a chinese phone, think twice & check it out before downloading any 'upgrade'.

Where did you buy the phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Barr wrote: »
    Where did you buy the phone ?

mixeshop. See post 4233 :)

Khannie wrote: »
    That's essentially the same as the one I have and the flash on it is sh*te, tbh.

edit: Is the "s" version the octacore? My wife has that. I might check to see if hers is better. Thanks.

Yup Octa core version.

deandean wrote: »

Careful with Lenovo updates they tend to revert to chinese language and apps, any other phone I've had stayed in English with GAPPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Just got my dispatch email from pandawill for my Redmi Note. Happy Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Anyone have any information on the ZTE Star 1?

Looks amazing for the price, are the Qualcomms good on battery life?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement