Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Looks amazing for the price, are the Qualcomms good on battery life?

Not sure. Looks like that price is actually high! I did some digging and found it for around 160 euro here (not sure if they deliver to Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I cant read a thing on that site :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just received the jiayu g4s today.
    Had a bit of a scare when i opened the package and seen it labelled as the jiayu g4.Thought they had sent me the wrong phone but after powering it on,went to "about phone".
    Seen it was jiayu g4s.:):)Happy days!!!
    So will play around with it for a bit and throw up a quick review

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

honda boi wrote: »
    Just received the jiayu g4s today.
    Had a bit of a scare when i opened the package and seen it labelled as the jiayu g4.Thought they had sent me the wrong phone but after powering it on,went to "about phone".
    Seen it was jiayu g4s.:):)Happy days!!!
    So will play around with it for a bit and throw up a quick review

Good stuff after 11 days mine has finally made it to Belgium. Hopefully ill have it on Monday and ill be able to compare it to the G4A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Anyone had the lenovo s850?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have just noticed that Merrimobiles offer rooting for an extra few dollars.

I am interested in the Lenovo 910 Vibe but a lot of reviews say that rooting is desirable to freeze the Chinese apps & to get the Play Store working.

Does anyone know if Pandawill do this as well?

The Cuban wrote: »
    Lenovo K910 from pandawill

Really good phone, 4g , snapdragon 800 cpu, full hd screen and its price has been cut from over €450 to €236. An absolute bargaining

sku49372_4_1.jpg
    http://www.pandawill.com/lenovo-k910-vibe-z-smartphone-snapdragon-800-quad-core-22ghz-55-inch-fhd-screen-2gb-16gb-android-42-p84300.html

According to the spec it's not 4g. Apparently the 910 L is 4g & single sim but not sold in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Discodog wrote: »
    I have just noticed that Merrimobiles offer rooting for an extra few dollars.

I am interested in the Lenovo 910 Vibe but a lot of reviews say that rooting is desirable to freeze the Chinese apps & to get the Play Store working.

Does anyone know if Pandawill do this as well?

If I were getting a Lenovo I’d get it from Etotalk with their custom rom. They root the phone and get rid of the Chinese stuff.

Barr wrote: »
    If I were getting a Lenovo I’d get it from Etotalk with their custom rom. They root the phone and get rid of the Chinese stuff.

Thanks. It's hard to assess Chinese phones because of the lack of decent reviews. It's difficult to know how many of the perceived problems are down to the users..

Big problem with g4s.It keeps shutting off and it took a half an hour just there for it to power on this time.I guarantee its going to turn off again.Also it says i don't have a sim card in even tho i do.Anyone any experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Big problem with g4s.It keeps shutting off and it took a half an hour just there for it to power on this time.I guarantee its going to turn off again.Also it says i don't have a sim card in even tho i do.Anyone any experience of this?

Says that on dual Sim phones because one slot is empty. Just ignore that.

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Says that on dual Sim phones because one slot is empty. Just ignore that.

But it was saying that for both sims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

where has tallaghtmick gone? his account says closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Download the 'wake lock power manager' app

And leave it running on 'partial wake lock'.

Your phone shouldn't switch off on it's own after that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Try flashing a new rom first.
    Sam Mac wrote: »
    where has tallaghtmick gone? his account says closed.
    That is odd, was he getting threats from that guy on Adverts and just decided to re-reg maybe?

Thargor wrote: »
    Try flashing a new rom first.
    That is odd, was he getting threats from that guy on Adverts and just decided to re-reg maybe?

Still active on adverts.

Still active on adverts.

I hope he comes back, he was a great guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Thoughts on this please as this is my first potential chineese android purchase.

http://www.pandawill.com/otium-s5-smartphone-android-44-mtk6582-50-inch-ips-screen-air-gesture-otg-black-p89252.html

Will standard airmail be ok?

Airmail
    Reg Airmail By Singapore Post $0.00
    TNT Post $7.48

Will the camera be any good?

Anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Thoughts on this please as this is my first potential chineese android purchase.

Airmail
    TNT Post $7.48

Anyone any experience?

At 5 megapixels, I'd say not. Not much else will be good about it, either: low res display, half a gig of RAM, only 4gb ROM.

I know it's only €75 plus p&p, but the only thing it really has going for it is screen size. Is that the limit of your budget? Another 20 quid or so could make a big difference. You could get something like a Umi S1 or a Star 9500 (I'd link, but I'm not allowed yet).

Airmail
    TNT Post $7.48

Anyone any experience?

Agree with the above, theres a phone on chinavasion linked a few pages back for the same price with better specs.

• Advertisement

http://www.pandawill.com/otium-s5-smartphone-android-44-mtk6582-50-inch-ips-screen-air-gesture-otg-black-p89252.html

Airmail
    TNT Post $7.48

Anyone any experience?

why not try this one instead; http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057227484/1

Sam Mac wrote: »
    why not try this one instead; http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057227484/1

Thanks. Yeah.would go for it alright. Do you reckon customs will stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

corwill wrote: »
    (I'd link, but I'm not allowed yet).

Take out the begining of the link, eg www., or the https bit and put in the rest....everthing after the first dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Phones that cheap are going to be an unpleasant experience in some way, whether battery, screen or whatever. Sam Macs link is a lot better than what you linked to originally which was totally unusable with only half a gig of RAM though.

It should get through fine with the airmail shipping. Ask them at checkout to mark value as $25 just to be safe. They have done so for me.

Take out the begining of the link, eg www., or the https bit and put in the rest....everthing after the first dot.

@MidlandsM - here's a few suggestions from pandawill, assuming that a 5" screen is what you're looking for, for under a ton:

pandawillDOTcom/umi-s1-smartphone-mtk6589-quad-core-android-42-50-inch-hd-screen-1gb-4gb-p85771.html

pandawillDOTcom/star-i9500w-smartphone-mtk6582-quad-core-13ghz-android-42-3g-gps-50-inch-p82970.html

pandawillDOTcom/star-s9500-smartphone-android-42-mtk6589-quad-core-1g-4g-50-inch-120mp-camera-p75446.html

And for a few quid more (assuming you can stretch your budget a little further):

etotalkDOTcom/bluboo-x2_p6025.html

etotalkDOTcom/utime-g92_p6018.html

DISCLAIMER -I'm only making suggestions, using filters on etotalk and pandawill, I have no direct knowledge of these yokes at all! I recommend further research, google a few reviews, etc.

Thanks everyone.

@ corwill....appreciate the post.

Really liking the bluboo x2. Reviews seem good.

Would it be a good buy?

Would they root it for me so id have no chinesse crap apps on it?

Thanks everyone.

@ corwill....appreciate the post.

Really liking the bluboo x2. Reviews seem good.

Would it be a good buy?

It certainly looks like a fair bit of phone for the price, a quick google suggests an Antutu score of 23290, which is pretty impressive for the price. The battery looks a bit light, though. The Utime has a heftier battery, a similar Antutu score and a 13MP camera rather than 8MP, but you'd have half the ROM. Depends on what your needs are in terms of apps.

There don't seem to be any reviews worth the name on a google search for either one, so bit of a shot in the dark for either, I'm afraid.
    Would they root it for me so id have no chinesse crap apps on it?

Mixeshop and etotalk will both root a phone purchased from them for you, and etotalk have their own ROM that they'll flash on for you for an extra charge, it's supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm sure someone else on here would be better placed to give you a steer there.

I've been humming and hawwing over my first purchase from China for weeks now, it'll probably take my S3 dying to give me the courage to finally take the plunge!

corwill wrote: »
    It certainly looks like a fair bit of phone for the price, a quick google suggests an Antutu score of 23290, which is pretty impressive for the price. The battery looks a bit light, though. The Utime has a heftier battery, a similar Antutu score and a 13MP camera rather than 8MP, but you'd have half the ROM. Depends on what your needs are in terms of apps.

There don't seem to be any reviews worth the name on a google search for either one, so bit of a shot in the dark for either, I'm afraid.

Mixeshop and etotalk will both root a phone purchased from them for you, and etotalk have their own ROM that they'll flash on for you for an extra charge, it's supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm sure someone else on here would be better placed to give you a steer there.

I've been humming and hawwing over my first purchase from China for weeks now, it'll probably take my S3 dying to give me the courage to finally take the plunge!

Im the same...i need to sh1t or get off the pot. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

stay away from judging chinese phones by their antutu benchmark, it actually means very little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement