Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Was away for a few days, and was all set to start a row with Pandawill and ask for a refund for the MX59 which they had advertised at 132 dollars, but then I check my emails and see that there is a despatch notification so it looks like they have actually sold them at that price!! Will have to see what shows up in the post now!!

( http://www.pandawill.com/mlais-mx59-smartphone-mtk6589t-2g-32g-50-inch-ips-fhd-screen-android-42-otg-silver-p89555.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    Was away for a few days, and was all set to start a row with Pandawill and ask for a refund for the MX59 which they had advertised at 132 dollars, but then I check my emails and see that there is a despatch notification so it looks like they have actually sold them at that price!! Will have to see what shows up in the post now!!

Phone looks lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

RossieMan wrote: »
    stay away from judging chinese phones by their antutu benchmark, it actually means very little.

You certainly wouldn't put your house on it, but there's not a huge amount to go on with these doodads!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

corwill wrote: »
    You certainly wouldn't put your house on it, but there's not a huge amount to go on with these doodads!

That's the biggest problem. There are very few reliable reviews.

We need a Sub Forum rather than a huge thread. Then people could post reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i know the antutu benchmark is important, but i wouldn't buy a chinese phone purely based on it.

There are loads of falsely adjusted ones floating around, with specs that would never get that high.
    Asking here seems to be one of the best ways of getting opinions if you ask me.

And as always, you get what you pay for. PHones under €100 will have something wrong with them, battery, poor screen, theres a reason they are being sold on the cheap.

Just something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement

The good thing about the antatu benchmark is it will tell you if the phone is "lying" to you. Some chinese sellers can fake info on a phone using a app that makes the phone display info like a S3 and even have a S3 boot.

Phone looks lovely

Yep, I had an MLAIS MX58 and it was a great phone, thought that the Pandawill Offer for the MX59 was a mistake or a pricing error as it is generally almost twice the price on the other sites, so only really ordered it on the off-chance that it might actually get supplied at that price. Was expecting to have to ask for a refund but looks like I might get it. Skipping customs fees would really make it a bargain though!!

Think I will have a while to wait for delivery also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Khannie wrote: »
    That's essentially the same as the one I have and the flash on it is sh*te, tbh.

edit: Is the "s" version the octacore? My wife has that. I might check to see if hers is better. Thanks.

Did a test with my G4 Advanced versus my wife's G4S. I'll post it up, but the flash on the S is significantly better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ok, so help here please.....

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the bluboo x2 phone. I'm going on hols for 2 weeks, and then it should be nearly here by the time I get back.

Would I be able to tether from it to my tablet for broadband?

Questions I have re ordering:

Has anyone ordered from etotalk.com? Are they reputable?

What to request when I order? as in customs price? mark as a gift? ask them to root it, english language........please help me on this, I'm new to all of this.
    am I missing anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ok, so help here please.....

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the bluboo x2 phone. I'm going on hols for 2 weeks, and then it should be nearly here by the time I get back.

Would I be able to tether from it to my tablet for broadband?

Questions I have re ordering:

Has anyone ordered from etotalk.com? Are they reputable?

What to request when I order? as in customs price? mark as a gift? ask them to root it, english language........please help me on this, I'm new to all of this.
    am I missing anything?

Yes you can tether and use your phone as a WiFi hotspot.

Etotalk.com have a great rep on this thread from other users, although I have never ordered from them myself. You can ask them to mark it as a gift/lower value & i am sure they will root it but ask them to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Damn phone keeps switching off and is a hassle getting back on..its only switching of at night tho when its on charge.Would it be a setting on the phone that it turns off when fully charged?(sounds stupid but no idea what it could be)
    And I have had that wake lock app on.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Try flashing a new rom first.
    Any good links on how to do this?

honda boi wrote: »
    Damn phone keeps switching off
    Any good links on how to do this?

Which phone is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

eamonnq wrote: »
    Which phone is it ?

Jiayu g4s

Funny, my wife had something similar with her G4S last night. The phone wouldn't power on or charge. I solved it by removing the battery and putting it back in. Not ideal obviously. She said it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Oh God I hope mine doesn't start acting up now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone reviewed the Xiaomi Note 2 yet?

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-note-2-mt6592-eight-core-1-7ghz-5-5-inch_p/meri10225.htm

Merimobiles selling it for $195 and Im very tempted, charging on my G3 is screwed and Ill go mad using it for another month as it is, tempted to just make the leap now but I want a phone with good GPS this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Oh God I hope mine doesn't start acting up now :(

Based on your history here, I thought that you would be already looking for your next phone :P

T-Bird wrote: »
    Based on your history here, I thought that you would be already looking for your next phone :P

When I like one I keep it :)

Has anyone reviewed the Xiaomi Note 2 yet?

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-note-2-mt6592-eight-core-1-7ghz-5-5-inch_p/meri10225.htm

Merimobiles selling it for $195 and Im very tempted, charging on my G3 is screwed and Ill go mad using it for another month as it is, tempted to just make the leap now but I want a phone with good GPS this time...

I am eagerly waiting for one of the Boardies to post a review. I am trying to decide between the Note & spending more on the Lenovo.

I think that the Lenovo will have a highest resale value.

Which Lenovo? I dont care about resale value anyway as I always run phones into the ground before I switch, I just need something with GPS as Im going on holiday in a few weeks and its impossible to find an answer.

• Advertisement

Which Lenovo? I dont care about resale value anyway as I always run phones into the ground before I switch, I just need something with GPS as Im going on holiday in a few weeks and its impossible to find an answer.

MTK phones (in my experience) have generally had problems with GPS, I thought that those using the MTK6589T chip were somehow better (not sure on this though) and as far as I recall problem was also present on the MTK6592 phone that I had ( THL T200C ).

The various fixes being advised are also next to useless and the only thing that I would suggest would be a bluetooth GPS receiver, but this may be a bit of a nuisance depending on how much you use GPS ( or if you plan on using the bluetooth for any other purpose ).

Balls on it then, I suppose I should look for 4G at this stage anyway, anyone got any suggestions?

Discodog wrote: »
    I am eagerly waiting for one of the Boardies to post a review. I am trying to decide between the Note & spending more on the Lenovo.

I think that the Lenovo will have a highest resale value.

Myself and LFC Murphy have ordered the Redmi Note so I will give my thoughts when it arrives.

Here are the two images that we took, one with the G4 advanced flash, one with the G4S flash. The G4S one is significantly better as you can see. They were taken in the same room at night with almost no other lighting in the room.

311052.jpg

311053.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If good GPS were a priority I wouldn’t go near any of the existing MTK chips. The MTK6592 and MTK6582 are supposed to be better than the older ones ,but are still not great.

For decent GPS get phone with a snapdragon processor is the way to go. The higher end have 800, 801 which are great. The 400 and 600 should be fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Barr wrote: »
    If good GPS were a priority I wouldn’t go near any of the existing MTK chips. The MTK6592 and MTK6582 are supposed to be better than the older ones but are still not great.

For decent GPS get phone with a snapdragon processor is the way to go. The higher end have 800, 801 which are great. The 400 and 600 should be fine as well.

I have a phone with a MTK6582 chip and GPS is an absolute joke. No fixes work. Avoid Mediateck Luke the plague if GPS is important. Another option is the Meizu MX3 which has a Samsung processor and GPS is perfect

Does everyone choose snail mail because it's cheaper or because there is less chance of being caught for duty?

Does everyone choose snail mail because it's cheaper or because there is less chance of being caught for duty?

less chance of being caught for duty.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    less chance of being caught for duty.

I thought that. I can see how it might draw attention if a supposed low cost item is being sent by DHL.

• Advertisement

I thought that. I can see how it might draw attention if a supposed low cost item is being sent by DHL.

DHL charges, can be very cheap from some sellers. I bought a tablet recently and the DHL cost was only 4 or 5 euro, of course it was sent to customs and they decided that it was worth more than I had paid for it, and charged me VAT on almost twice the value I had paid.

This despite me sending them my paypal payment record, and links to the item I had purchased showing the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement