Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    DHL charges, can be very cheap from some sellers. I bought a tablet recently and the DHL cost was only 4 or 5 euro, of course it was sent to customs and they decided that it was worth more than I had paid for it, and charged me VAT on almost twice the value I had paid.

This despite me sending them my paypal payment record, and links to the item I had purchased showing the price.

Did you have to pay it or did they relax on the price?

I'm very impatient so I wont use snail mail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

They made a bit of a mess of it, as they actually billed our company account for the VAT instead of charging me personally.

So they had to issue a credit to the company and reinvoice me, but I have queried it with them via email but cannot get any reply to my emails, so I have not actually paid it, but I am waiting on them to come back to me with a reduced amount (which I will pay).

Customs also had it for the best part of two weeks, so snail mail might not actually be much slower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ok i'm too confused, there's just too much info in this thread :o

I have 200e(can stretch to 250e)

What phone would you guys recommend i buy?

Have a look on the different sites and see what you like, link them here and we can give opinions :)

Depends on what is important ( camera / gps / screen size / resolution / gaming / internal memory / etc. ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Xiaomi Mi3 got another price cut the other day.

Depends on what is important ( camera / gps / screen size / resolution / gaming / internal memory / etc. ).

Good camera
    SD Slot
    4.5-5inch screensize

I had a galaxy s2, so really anything better than that would be great as long as it's reliable, i'm also maybe looking for a better battery for whichever phone i chose

I had a quick look at the g4s/g5 and the Xiaomi Mi3 but still not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I had a quick look at the g4s/g5 and the Xiaomi Mi3 but still not sure

The G4S is more or less spot on for what you're looking for. I have the G4 advanced and my wife has the G4S. My only gripe with the G4 advanced (the moderate camera flash) is fixed in the G4S.

I wouldn't get the G5 for risk of the same flash issue as the G4 advanced, but G5S would be worth a look for sure.

Khannie wrote: »
    The G4S is more or less spot on for what you're looking for. I have the G4 advanced and my wife has the G4S. My only gripe with the G4 advanced (the moderate camera flash) is fixed in the G4S.

I wouldn't get the G5 for risk of the same flash issue as the G4 advanced, but G5S would be worth a look for sure.

What site would you recommend i buy it off? I think i'd like fast shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So would I but I don't fancy paying duty & vat. I have the same budget & my favourite, to date, is this.

http://www.etotalk.com/lenovo-k910_p4401.html#review

Discodog wrote: »
    So would I but I don't fancy paying duty & vat. I have the same budget & my favourite, to date, is this.

Why are you choosing this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mixeshop with fast shipping arrives in about a week to ten days if memory serves. You'll pay import duty of around 25 euro ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

4GB ROM vs 16 GB ROM, 1GB RAM vs 2GB RAM, no brainer doubling the RAM and quadrupling the storage for less than 20 quid, dont go with the basic model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What's the difference?

RAM and ROM.

What's the difference?

RAM/ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

living wrote: »
    FYI

Done a scan there nothing on mine.

living wrote: »

"If this is going to be a growing trend then consumers will be avoiding unknown brands. Its already bad enough that most of these devices have low quality, now they even come with malware straight out of the box."

Looks like this is more of an attempt to put people off buying phones from China directly when you see that bit!!

I am not implying that this is not happening or it should be ignored.

• Advertisement

"If this is going to be a growing trend then consumers will be avoiding unknown brands. Its already bad enough that most of these devices have low quality, now they even come with malware straight out of the box."

Looks like this is more of an attempt to put people off buying phones from China directly when you see that bit!!

Yeh I agree there, they have no idea what they are talking about, my Jiayu is far from low quality.

Thanks everybody for the advice and help, think i'm going to buy a G4S from http://www.mixeshop.com (unless anyone has anything bad to say about this site?)

Why are you choosing this phone?

Well known manufacturer. Should be easier to sell in a year or two. Fabulous spec, excellent value & the supplier will root it to give full play store etc.

I am not implying that this is not happening or it should be ignored.

I agree. But there has been a lot of suspicion regarding Chinese manufacturers. I would never "trust" my computer or phone irrespective of where it was made.

I always use a prepay o2 card & I keep the balance low.

One thought anyone ordering a Chinese phone could mention the concern about Malware & that they will return the phone if any is discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Well known manufacturer. Should be easier to sell in a year or two. Fabulous spec, excellent value & the supplier will root it to give full play store etc.

Also processor is snapdragon, won't (shouldn't) give you grief like MTK processors will, especially when it comes to Gps and upgradability.

EDIT. Just noticed that it's only 16GB and no option for external memory. Big drawback for me, but might not be for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

T-Bird wrote: »
    Also processor is snapdragon, won't (shouldn't) give you grief like MTK processors will, especially when it comes to Gps and upgradability.

Is g4s not mtk processor also? http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4s-g4s-mtk6592-octa-core-47-inch-ips-ltps-hd-gorilla-glass-screen-android-42-2gb16gb-13mp-camera-3000mah-battery-gyroscope-otg-smartphone_p3809.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

@khannie

My G4S arrived today as a replacement for my lost G4A. Can you confirm the two phones have the same dimensions? Something just seems a little different about it. Both were the fat models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

johnybean wrote: »

It's mtk. I think that only the Jiayu S1 has a snapdragon processor. Now that's a phone! There is a 32gb model available, but no external memory card option.

T-Bird wrote: »

EDIT. Just noticed that it's only 16GB and no option for external memory. Big drawback for me, but might not be for others.

I can live with it given the performance. Snapdragon 800 2.25 for €235 is a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Must say this is one of my favourite phones. I have been watching it the last couple of months and it has dropped about €100 since then.

Read somewhere that it will have kitkat soon as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement