Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭shanek248

jiayu g4s

This to me looks like such a solid option....

Any reviews on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

shanek248 wrote: »
    jiayu g4s

This to me looks like such a solid option....

Any reviews on this?

It is a solid option IMO. People have complained about the GPS. Once I found it slow. Other times perfectly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Hey Guys I've been looking at the Jiayu Mobiles for a while. Seem to be a pretty popular option but that could just be the way Im skimming the threads.

GPS, Email, Texting Phoning and Facebook are my big things when it comes to mobile phones but I have heard that GPS can be an issue. Is this the case?

Im looking for something cheap. Somewhere around the 150-160 euro mark is about my limit. Cheaper = Better.

Any recommendations?

Any Chinese mobile with MTK processor will have GPS issues, the only Jiayu without an MTK processor is the S1. However, it is a single solid unit with a slot draw for single sim and that's all. No slots for external memory etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭shanek248

T-Bird wrote: »
    Any Chinese mobile with MTK processor will have GPS issues, the only Jiayu without an MTK processor is the S1. However, it is a single solid unit with a slot draw for single sim and that's all. No slots for external memory etc.

So outside of Jiayu can you think of any phones which fit my needs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Meizu MX3 ticks all your boxes but it's a bit more expensive than your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

To be honest the Moto G will fit your needs.

I bought one back in February from tesco direct. It had a very intermittent display problem. Anyways, to cut a long story short, I finally have a replacement.

I have to say that it is a superb piece of kit for the money and the Rom it's fantastic! The replacement one synched all my apps and settings as soon as I signed into it. GPS and display are perfect.

The new version has 4G on it as well.

Unlocking is less than a couple of Euro.

Edit.
    I think it is important to note that a wipe, reset or flashing of a new Rom will totally remove everything that was previously on it. that includes photos, music and documents etc. The idea being that they would have all been automatically uploaded to Google Drive.

One I posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Just tried to order a phone from mixeahop and there no option for EU EXP delivery. Anyone else noticed this? Or is it just a glitch with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So I am close to ordering from Etotalk. What's the likely delivery time if I go for the free delivery? Are there any delivery options that won't attract duty but are quicker than basic delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you choose the EUEXP shipping ?

DHL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you chose DHL isnn't it almost definitely getting caught by customs?

RossieMan wrote: »

Pretty much best option is to get the supplier to mark it as sample, mp4 or a lower value.

I would of thought so. It's pretty obvious that people wouldn't use an expensive courier for low value items.

My thoughts about the Lenovo 910 resale value appear to be correct. One has just sold on eBay for more than the new price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

How do people find Xiaomi's MiUI version of Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Ha the option of shipping with EU EXP disappeared for all you guys or is it just with me? Any other sites offer a similar service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I don't think so. I've ordered a few if these phones via DHL and had no problems. Now that I've written this, the Note 3 I have on the way will be stopped by customs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Discodog wrote: »
    I would of thought so. It's pretty obvious that people wouldn't use an expensive courier for low value items.

Some of the sellers charge very little for using DHL, I recently bought a tablet and to have it sent DHL was only around 5euro extra.

Of course customs got it, and I am still trying to sort the problem out as they charged me twice what they should have! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    LFC Murphy, any update on your Redmi Note?

Any update Sam?

Mine was "Despatched to overseas" on the 09th June... Anyone know how long these things usually take.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are people worried about buying phones with no 4G?

Thargor wrote: »
    Are people worried about buying phones with no 4G?

Am not worried about buying cheaper phones with no 4G, but if I was going to seriously look at getting a GOOD new phone, I would probably look for it.

Chances are I will have gone through a few phones before I need a 4G one!!

All these 100 euro phones are just too good to say no!!

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Any update Sam?

Mine was "Despatched to overseas" on the 09th June... Anyone know how long these things usually take.

Thanks

I would allow about 3 weeks before I would expect to see it showing up on the AnPost tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would allow about 3 weeks before I would expect to see it showing up on the AnPost tracking.

Why so long though, it's hardly on a ship?

Why so long though, it's hardly on a ship?

It probably is. Big container of stuff from all over China on it's way to the UK/Ireland.

According to the Singapore Post website a 'surface parcel' can take 56 -105 days to arrive to Ireland !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Any update Sam?

Thanks

Mine is showing as Dispatched to Overseas since the 18th

3 working days in total via DHL. No customs. So will have it redirected to my workplace tomorrow.

Also, 4G is pretty fast, but H+ is just fine. Certainly not a necessity currently. There isn't too much of a difference. On my S4 and BlackBerry Z10 4G is the preferred option, but any Chinese models for that price offering H+ it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I ordered this phone http://www.pandawill.com/wmcc-x5-smartphone-android-42-mtk6589-quad-core-50-inch-hd-screen-3g-white-p88474.html

Cheap as chips for €75 odd,I tried to order a phone from Geekbuying and nearly lost the will to live due to paypal so gave up on it and used Pandawill instead.

Has anybody any experience of some of the phones from Aliexpress? http://www.aliexpress.com/category/5090301/mobile-phones.html

Prices seem extremely cheap,I've bought a variety of stuff from Aliexpress but the missus needs a new phone now and she's tempted by an S5 clone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement