Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

true alright, this thread is going to be the death of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

RossieMan wrote: »
    true alright, this thread is going to be the death of me.

Death of my wallet, more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Was the Star N9500 the only model that was affected by the virus ? Or was it across their range.

Barr wrote: »
    Was the Star N9500 the only model that was affected by the virus ? Or was it across their range.

I think it was just the one model but you can never be too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

That second one you posted is very interesting, is it any good i wonder?

I always associated STAR with replica phones (phones that looked like good brand name phones, but are actually crap), but a lot of people seem to like them and they do appear to have some decent phones.

Not sure if there are loads of 'producers' of STAR brand phones though, but I have ordered one of them to have a look at, the child usually has my phone for playing games and stuff so it might end up being his, but the spec does look decent for the price.

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I think it was just the one model but you can never be too sure.

I think so too, but a scan on arrival will show it up!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    I always associated STAR with replica phones (phones that looked like good brand name phones, but are actually crap), but a lot of people seem to like them and they do appear to have some decent phones.

Not sure if there are loads of 'producers' of STAR brand phones though, but I have ordered one of them to have a look at, the child usually has my phone for playing games and stuff so it might end up being his, but the spec does look decent for the price.

I just caved in and bought it.. My little brother will love it as he's always using my phone.

Damn you Eamonn! :pac: :p

Any other phones for below 100 on any of the sites?

Am in the market for a couple of phones and am looking for some advice on whats out there?

Seems like serious bargains going.

Am in the market for a couple of phones and am looking for some advice on whats out there?

What specs are you looking for? Screen resolution?

http://www.pandawill.com/lephone-a66-smartphone-android-23-msm7227-10ghz-35-inch-3g-wifi-black-p89153.html

30 EURO :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

really tried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

480x320 though. Your eyes would bleed. Some price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.pandawill.com/star-s6-smartphone-android-42-mtk6589t-50-inch-hd-ogs-screen-otg-gesture-sensing-p89930.html

Pandawill again, for approx 80 euro, no gesture sensing!!

I have not even received my phone yet and am already wanting to buy another one of their bargains!! Time to stop looking!!

I kept looking:

http://www.pandawill.com/star-s4-smartphone-mtk6589-android-41-1gb-4gb-50-inch-hd-screen-3g-gps-p65753.html

Not sure if these are being sold off because of the virus found on STAR phones, but for 66 euro, how could you not??

That first was Eamon especially is a lovely piece of kit for the price. If I hadn't just bought a new phone, I'd go for it.

Speaking of which, I spent a whole week researching how to root my phone, charged the phone fully, psyched myself up for the afternoon to do it and lo an behold, I find the blasted thing was already rooted. :D Anyway if you get that first phone, and put a new rom on it it will be grand. A steal.

That first was Eamon especially is a lovely piece of kit for the price. If I hadn't just bought a new phone, I'd go for it.

Speaking of which, I spent a whole week researching how to root my phone, charged the phone fully, psyched myself up for the afternoon to do it and lo an behold, I find the blasted thing was already rooted. :D Anyway if you get that first phone, and put a new rom on it it will be grand. A steal.

Am still waiting on my MX59 to arrive, (the last Pandawill offer that I thought was a pricing error!!), I had promised that I would just use that phone regardless of how good (or bad) it was, but now before it even arrives I have ordered another one!!

Pandawill said they would root the phone if anyone is interested in getting the stars.

Just put a message with your purchase.

I was talking to them via the live chat.

What specs are you looking for? Screen resolution?

Not pushy, the best the budget has to offer.

That Star S6 is looking very tempting at the moment, has anyone got one?

Pandawill said they would root the phone if anyone is interested in getting the stars.

Just put a message with your purchase.

I was talking to them via the live chat.

Great, I shall send them a message

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Let us know how she gets on with the phone. It should be an improvement over the old one with the MTK processor.

Did you get the etotalk rom ? I see its free at the moment with their sale.

Ordered the phone on Monday and it was delivered today at lunchtime via DHL from China. €18 customs. Its a solid phone with a nice display. The battery gets warm after using it a while. The EtoTalk rom is a launcher, not a rom. I replaced it with Nova launcher shortly after turning the phone on.

GPS is astounding. I turned on the gps in the kitchen and by the time I went outside (about 5 seconds) the phone had a lock. Very pleased.

Páid wrote: »
    Ordered the phone on Monday and it was delivered today at lunchtime via DHL from China. €18 customs. Its a solid phone with a nice display. The battery gets warm after using it a while. The EtoTalk rom is a launcher, not a rom. I replaced it with Nova launcher shortly after turning the phone on.

GPS is astounding. I turned on the gps in the kitchen and by the time I went outside (about 5 seconds) the phone had a lock. Very pleased.

Sounds great. glad your happy with it. Very fast delivery too!

I picked airmail so I think I'll be waiting a while :(

Páid wrote: »

That's interesting about the rom.I wonder was it a mistake on their part.

Is it running MIUI ?

Have you had a chance to see how the dual sim works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's interesting about the rom.I wonder was it a mistake on their part.

Is it running MIUI ?

Have you had a chance to see how the dual sim works?

Is this the Lenovo? Sorry but it's difficult to go back through the thread on a phone.

I am close to order the Lenovo 910 with the Etotalk rom. I understood that it was a root & rom not just a launcher.

Discodog wrote: »
    Is this the Lenovo? Sorry but it's difficult to go back through the thread on a phone.

I am close to order the Lenovo 910 with the Etotalk rom. I understood that it was a root & rom not just a launcher.

No its an Xiaomi

No its an Xiaomi

I am also considering the Xiaomi Note :-)

Please Mods can we have a sub forum?

I am also considering the Xiaomi Note :-)

Please Mods can we have a sub forum?

Myself & LFC Murphy have ordered the Xiaomi Note from pandawill.

Both have shipped and we are now waiting for them to arrive.

Myself & LFC Murphy have ordered the Xiaomi Note from pandawill.

Both have shipped and we are now waiting for them to arrive.

I know & I am looking forward to the reviews. I really want the Lenovo especially as they are selling for more on eBay. But I don't fancy being the Boards Guinea Pig :-)

Does that Lenovo have the Snapdragon 800?

I'd wait for the 805 to come out if so, the price will probably shoot down on the 800 models.

My Star S4 shipped today, Pandawill rooted it for me and all. Cheers Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Pretty nice phone alright, just one blot on merimobile's copybook, they may be overstating the screen res:

http://www.gsmarena.com/pantech_vega_iron_goes_official_with_5inch_hd_display-news-5876.php

https://www.pantech.co.kr/en/prod/prodView.do?prod_idx=404&gbrand=VEGA&kind=

Still a heck of a phone, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

That was just my opinion and I could be wrong. I don't see how the ETOTalk rom does anything different under the hood. Rom's are developed to provide new features, etc. but here the changes are mainly cosmetic e.g. nice looking menus & settings, etc. That is why I say it is more of a launcher than a rom. I have re-enabled it just to give it a second chance.

Root has nothing to do with rom/launcher (the phone was rooted on arrival).

It comes with Mobogenie app store which I had to remove using ETOTools (rebranded MTKTools). I also had to remove the preinstalled facebook app as it was installed via Mobogenie and wasn't the current verision. Only after it was uninstalled could I install the latest version via the Play Store.

I tried the GPS today for navigation under my Mondeo heated windscreen which was causing problems for the MTK6589 gps chip. The Redmi locked on in seconds and was a joy to use - no rerouting or jumping to another street. For those of you having gps problems with the MTK chipsets, the move to Snapdragon 400 (or better) is the way to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement