Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Anyone know anything about this phone?

http://www.pandawill.com/flying-s5-smartphone-android-44-50-inch-fhd-screen-2gb-16gb-mtk6592-otg-3g-p89300.html

Seems a bit too good to be true to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

corwill wrote: »
    Pretty nice phone alright, just one blot on merimobile's copybook, they may be overstating the screen res:

http://www.gsmarena.com/pantech_vega_iron_goes_official_with_5inch_hd_display-news-5876.php

https://www.pantech.co.kr/en/prod/prodView.do?prod_idx=404&gbrand=VEGA&kind=

Still a heck of a phone, though.

Feckers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this phone?

http://www.pandawill.com/flying-s5-smartphone-android-44-50-inch-fhd-screen-2gb-16gb-mtk6592-otg-3g-p89300.html

Seems a bit too good to be true to me.

Never heard of it, looks like a S5 clone customs may not be happy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

This would worry me about that make , a simple question about the phone that can't be answered

"hi can you be so kind conform for me that 13 m.pixel cameras has what kind of this specification ? f/2.2 or f/2.0 or f1.8
    thanks

ANSWER:
    I did check everywhere even on the Pantech Manufacturer website and they do not specify, thanks"

Páid wrote: »
    That was just my opinion and I could be wrong. I don't see how the ETOTalk rom does anything different under the hood. Rom's are developed to provide new features, etc. but here the changes are mainly cosmetic e.g. nice looking menus & settings, etc. That is why I say it is more of a launcher than a rom. I have re-enabled it just to give it a second chance.

Root has nothing to do with rom/launcher (the phone was rooted on arrival).

It comes with Mobogenie app store which I had to remove using ETOTools (rebranded MTKTools). I also had to remove the preinstalled facebook app as it was installed via Mobogenie and wasn't the current verision. Only after it was uninstalled could I install the latest version via the Play Store.

I tried the GPS today for navigation under my Mondeo heated windscreen which was causing problems for the MTK6589 gps chip. The Redmi locked on in seconds and was a joy to use - no rerouting or jumping to another street. For those of you having gps problems with the MTK chipsets, the move to Snapdragon 400 (or better) is the way to go.

The S1 red rice is worth the money alone for the snapdragon processor.

I can't see why anyone would go for a Moto G over the xaoimi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Barr wrote: »
    The S1 red rice is worth the money alone for the snapdragon processor.

I can't see why anyone would go for a Moto G over the xaoimi

I could be wrong but does new Moto G has 4g but other than that the red rice is a better specced phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Hi can somebody please recomend a phone with a 4.5" screen with a budget of €100 ? Thanks for any help it's just so confusing and this will be my first phone from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Never heard of it, looks like a S5 clone customs may not be happy :o

Customs would only confiscate it if it has Samsung logos on it . Well that's my understanding of it anyways .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

mixed up wrote: »
    Hi can somebody please recomend a phone with a 4.5" screen with a budget of €100 ? Thanks for any help it's just so confusing and this will be my first phone from china.

This one looks good. And it's a bit under your budget so you can buy a memory card for it too.

http://www.pandawill.com/xiaocai-x9s-smartphone-android-42-mtk6582-quad-core-13ghz-1gb-4gb-45-inch-80mp-camera-black-p84249.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Anything around able to compete with the Red rice on price and specs? have been looking around but not really found anything.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Anything around able to compete with the Red rice on price and specs? have been looking around but not really found anything.

Why not go with the Red Rice? Do you want cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Why not go with the Red Rice? Do you want cheaper?

Ah its just the MIUI i'd be worried about, not a big deal, but still.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Ah its just the MIUI i'd be worried about, not a big deal, but still.

MiUi is supposed to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Lenovo s650. I have one and am very pleased with it.
    http://www.mixeshop.com/lenovo-s650-mini-vibe-x-mtk6582m-13ghz-quad-core-47-ips-960x540px-android-42-1gb4gb-80mp-camera-smartphone_p3017.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

4.7 inch screen but a good phone for the money

mixeshop.com/doogee-pixels-dg350-mtk6582-quad-core-47-inch-hd-ogs-screen-1gb4gb-android-42-gps-3g-smartphone_p3819.html

Add www. To the start I can't post a link :-/

Etotalk have a sale on two of their phones atm. The Red Rice and the Huawei P7.

The Red Rice is advertised at $133. Not sure what the pre sale price was.

http://www.etotalk.com/advanced_search_result.html?keyword=middle+year&search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&productsort=1

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Red Rice was $153.99 this day last week.

Red Rice was $153.99 this day last week.

A decent enough saving. The reduced price applies yesterday and today only according to their FB.

How is your other half finding the phone? so tempted at the sale price.

Were all the Chinese stuff deleted by Etotalk when ye got it ?

A decent enough saving. The reduced price applies yesterday and today only according to their FB.

How is your other half finding the phone? so tempted at the sale price.

Were all the Chinese stuff deleted by Etotalk when ye got it ?

She loves the phone but not the ETOTalk "rom". She moved to Apex launcher which she had on her previous phone.

There are no chinese apps on the phone but they do install Mobogenie and at least one Poker game that is not easy to uninstall unless you know how.

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology for the next paragraph. The most annoying thing about the ETOTalk "rom" is that there is no applications drawer (where all installed applications reside). They only appear on the screens and you have to swipe left and right to find them. You cannot sort the apps by screen alphabetically. Some apps (like the clock) don't appear on any screens and you have to search for them. Of course, I could be missing something.

I am looking for an excuse NOT to buy the red rice at this stage :D

I was going to wait for the THL 5000 or the kitkat version of the Lonovo K910

As these don’t seem to be out any time soon the red rice would make a nice stop gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I got the Xiaomi MI3 64gb for my girlfriend and she loves it! got it from mixesshop for €341 so quite expensive considering other phones but to me it seems worth it. I have a galaxy note 3 so am using this as my comparison.

good: Screen, Speed, Camera, Storage, Battery, Slimness, Snapdragon CPU

bad: MIUI rom - bit simple for me but she likes it

ugly: Too much bezel - again probably a small gripe given how thin it is and how light for the size. No LTE (but not required)

took a couple of weeks to deliver from mixesshop. I ordered specifically from their "EU" warehouse to avoid customs but something tells me it was not sent from there since it had a "refurbished dictaphone" label on it with a value of $23. I guess this was the real avoiding customs trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

She loves the phone but not the ETOTalk "rom". She moved to Apex launcher which she had on her previous phone.

There are no chinese apps on the phone but they do install Mobogenie and at least one Poker game that is not easy top uninstall unless you know how.

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology for the next paragraph. The most annoying thing about the ETOTalk "rom" is that there is no applications drawer (where all installed applications reside). They only appear on the screens and you have to swipe left and right to find them. You cannot sort the apps by screen alphabetically. Some apps (like the clock) don't appear on any screens and you have to search for them. Of course, I could be missing something.

The lack of an App drawer was mentioned in the reviews of the Lenovo 910.

Does changing the launcher provide an App drawer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am looking for an excuse NOT to buy the red rice at this stage :D

I was going to wait for the THL 5000 or the kitkat version of the Lonovo K910

As these don’t seem to be out any time soon the red rice would make a nice stop gap.

I think that the Kitkat version is the 910L which is single sim 4g.Its available in Asia but not China & it's a lot more than the Chinese 910.

Discodog wrote: »
    The lack of an App drawer was mentioned in the reviews of the Lenovo 910.

Does changing the launcher provide an App drawer?
    Yes, both Nova and Apex launchers provided the app drawer.

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that the Kitkat version is the 910L which is single sim 4g.Its available in Asia but not China & it's a lot more than the Chinese 910.

There seems to be kitkat version of the K910 dual sim as well.

On ebay they have a few for sale. Trouble is they are far more expensive than the Chinese sites.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-K910-VIBE-Z-SILVER-5-5-KitKat-2-2GHz-QuadCore-DualSim-ROOTED-/171366172445?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item27e638471d#ht_25646wt_1070

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

My RedMi Note is waiting for me at home..............

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Congratulations! Hopefully it will be worth the wait. A number of us boardsies await your review with bated breath!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just picked up a N3+ Note 3 copy on adverts.Octocore 1.7.MTK6592.2gb ram

It seems quite snappy enough.Run everything Ive thrown at it so far.

Any one know of any rom development for these.Wouldnt mind trying to get 4.4 on it.

Just bought it as a stop gap until my Z1 is back from Sony but I actually quite like it.

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    My RedMi Note is waiting for me at home..............

:D

Great news, mine is still not showing up on An Posts site, what does your tracking say on 17track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Great news, mine is still not showing up on An Posts site, what does your tracking say on 17track?

I had the singpost app installed. I then had a message this morning saying it arrived in Ireland. All happened so fast.

On it right now. Lovely phone, MiU is taking some getting used to. But i had my desire hd for 4 years so baby steps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement