Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Just for clarity there are 3 devices in total from Nubia

Leaked earlier this month sporting thin bezels, the Nubia Z7 is now official. Along with the 5.5-inch flagship device, ZTE has also announced Mini and Max variants, dubbed the Nubia Z7 Mini and Nubia Z7 Max respectively.
    Boasting a 5.5-inch QHD display, Snapdragon 801 CPU, 3 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory, the Nubia Z7 shares a lot of similarities with the LG G3. Even the 13 MP camera sensor with OIS at the back is similar to the one used in LG's current flagship. Other specs of the Nubia Z7 include a 5 MP front camera, Wi-Fi ac, LTE (FDD-LTE and TD-LTE), Bluetooth 4.0 and a 3,000 mAh battery.
    Contrary to its name, the Z7 Max is not a larger version of the Nubia Z7. It features the same 5.5-inch screen, although the resolution has been scaled down to 1080p. The amount of RAM has also been decreased to 2 GB. The Z7 Max retains the 13 MP camera, but does not feature OIS.
    The Nubia Z7 Mini is a smaller version of the Z7, sporting a 5-inch full-HD display. The Z7 Mini comes with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal memory and a smaller 2,300 mAh battery, but otherwise shares the same feature-set as the Nubia Z7 flagship.
    All three devices come with dual-SIM functionality and Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box along with ZTE's Nubia 2.0 user interface. The Z7 is available for sale in China to the equivalent of $550 (CNY 3,450), while the Z7 Max and Z7 Mini are set to retail for $320 (CNY 2,000) and $240 (CNY 1,500) respectively. At this stage, there is no word on availability outside of China.

The Mini looks to be the bargain there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

podgey1992 wrote: »
    feck yiz i'm buying it anyway
    For the price you can't go wrong tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Awesome, but will they work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

serious looking devices. I am just waiting for the catch. Those prices are insane for that sort of spec.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Where can i order?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

seannash wrote: »
    Just for clarity there are 3 devices in total from Nubia

Leaked earlier this month sporting thin bezels, the Nubia Z7 is now official. Along with the 5.5-inch flagship device, ZTE has also announced Mini and Max variants, dubbed the Nubia Z7 Mini and Nubia Z7 Max respectively.
    Boasting a 5.5-inch QHD display, Snapdragon 801 CPU, 3 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory, the Nubia Z7 shares a lot of similarities with the LG G3. Even the 13 MP camera sensor with OIS at the back is similar to the one used in LG's current flagship. Other specs of the Nubia Z7 include a 5 MP front camera, Wi-Fi ac, LTE (FDD-LTE and TD-LTE), Bluetooth 4.0 and a 3,000 mAh battery.
    Contrary to its name, the Z7 Max is not a larger version of the Nubia Z7. It features the same 5.5-inch screen, although the resolution has been scaled down to 1080p. The amount of RAM has also been decreased to 2 GB. The Z7 Max retains the 13 MP camera, but does not feature OIS.
    The Nubia Z7 Mini is a smaller version of the Z7, sporting a 5-inch full-HD display. The Z7 Mini comes with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal memory and a smaller 2,300 mAh battery, but otherwise shares the same feature-set as the Nubia Z7 flagship.
    All three devices come with dual-SIM functionality and Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box along with ZTE's Nubia 2.0 user interface. The Z7 is available for sale in China to the equivalent of $550 (CNY 3,450), while the Z7 Max and Z7 Mini are set to retail for $320 (CNY 2,000) and $240 (CNY 1,500) respectively. At this stage, there is no word on availability outside of China.

The Mini looks to be the bargain there

I think, from reading other sources, the mini is more of a smaller z7max than the z7 (flagship) as it lacks the z7's OIS camera. Suppose details are a bit sketchy for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody want to try Googles new Virtual Reality platform with their new phones?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wantcardboard-google-cardboard-kits/x/8123853

Just ordered mine, NFC a plus but not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

amby666 wrote: »
    Did you get caught with customs? Mine has just left HK. Also, what colour did you get? Just curious about the red buttons.

No customs, came by DHL, declared value 25USD. Black colour, just those little buttons are red. You can see it in the pics.

fran

I've had the phone on all day so can provide a little more user feedback:

1. The SIM card is bigger than the HTC. Popped into a meteor shop and they gave me a little adapter yoke that meant my existing card would fit - handy as I can now swap back and forth.
    2. Battery holds up pretty well - at least as good as the HTC, expect a day of normal use I'd say
    3. GPS is very good. Worked 100% all the way on the luas out of town today, and in the car to home after. Very happy there.
    4. Feels good in your pocket - not too big
    5. Brightness set to auto, easy to read outdoors in sunny spots today
    6. Boot up from off is very quick. This is the first android phone I've had where its a reasonable prospect to turn it off
    7. It has a very neat do not disturb setting - which allows for some exceptions

And the niggly bits:

I wanted to download viber from the play store while on mobile internet today - it simply wouldn't do it - kept saying it was waiting for wifi. I have unlimited mobile internet, so did n't care about the download limit. Even thougha dialog popped up telling me to use wifi as the app was big (20mb), which I could choose to ignore and proceed anyway, it still wouldn't download it. When I got home to wifi, it downloaded in a few secs.

The facebook app isn't working right. This is a weird one. When on mobile internet it works absolutely fine, as you expect. When connected to wifi (3 different routers tried) the newsfeed won't load and I get a "no internet connection" dialog. But if I click on the notification icon, and follow from there I can go to a post or a group. If I turn off wifi, let the newsfeed load via mobile internet, then turn back on wifi, I can comment on posts on the feed already loaded. Clearing the app data and cache makes no difference. Using chrome I can access FB no prob. So summary - its like FB app preinstalled won't allow newsfeed to access wifi. Maybe its permissions or something but I can't find the fix.

And that brings me to the last point. I can't uninstall some of the apps - and facebook is one of them. I can disable it, stop it but not uninstall. Maybe I need to be root to do that - that's my next thing to try. It seems any apps that came on the phone with the etotalk rom are in the same boat. If I go to the play store and try to install FB from there, I get an error that says duplicate source found....

Root it and you can uninstall what you like, have a look in the settings in the Play Store with regards to data downloading vs wifi, cant remember exactly but theres something in there about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It's not uncommon for Facebook to be pre-installed. My S3 and HTC One M7 both would not allow the app to be uninstalled without root access.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Thargor wrote: »
    Root it and you can uninstall what you like, have a look in the settings in the Play Store with regards to data downloading vs wifi, cant remember exactly but theres something in there about it.

I thought the etotalk rom was supposed to be rooted. Do you have to do something else?

exactly - its meant to be rooted.

also - there is a root explorer app installed on the phone and I can explore to the system folder, rename the apk etc...

Reading a bit more about the duplicate provider authority message in the play store, it seems that when the new download goes to install it reads up the ID of the apps already installed and see that the app provider is already named/used.

Use a Root Checker app.

Is it a MIUI ROM?

To be able to download apps above 20mb, go to downloads. Then settings, then turn it to unlimited.

To have it rooted, go to security, then turn on root. (i think) been so long since ive been on MIUI.

Google will tell you if the above is not right.

OK, found the cure. Essentially, you need to have SU access to uninstall the apps.

Install an app called "titanium backup" from the play store. It'll ask for SU access - give it. Then you can uninstall the etotalk rom apps. I did this, then installed FB from the play store and it works perfectly. Also uninstalled some of the other crap that was on it, so happy days.

Now, still need to fix the other store issue with the download only over wifi......

Fran

sometimes i think i am invisible.

who..., who said that?

Some rhoaster from the sthicks.

LOOK AT ME! ME ME ME!

Ok after loading my MIUI ROM, to get root access go to permissions and its at the bottom.

To fix the not downloading over wifi problem, find the app that says downloads. Then click the cog on the top right hand corner. Up will pop a new menu thing. change data usage to unlimited.

Download all the apps you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Lenovo Golden Warrior A8, not available yet, but looks good if the price of $130/€95 is correct.

4G LTE
    5-inch 1280 x 720p display,
    1.7GHz octa-core MT6592 CPU,
    2GB RAM 16GB on-board ROM,
    13 mega-pixel rear camera with dual LED flash, 5 mega-pixel front facing camera,
    Android v4.4.2 (Vibe UI 2.0 overlay).

Link:http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_golden_warrior_a8_gets_official_in_china_with_4g-news-8925.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder if this is suitable for use on any of the Chinese phones?

http://www.mobogenie.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

From looking at this thread I have bought this phone - http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4s-g4s-mtk6592-octa-core-47-inch-ips-ltps-hd-gorilla-glass-screen-android-42-2gb16gb-13mp-camera-3000mah-battery-gyroscope-otg-smartphone_p3809.html from Mixeshop

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes for delivery from Mixeshop ?

I bought the phone on 15th June & got email to say it was shipped on 17th June

Went with regular shipping with tracking

Getting impatient now !!

Also how is everyone that has this phone getting on with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

zerks wrote: »

I have serious concerns about that company. I have numerous cases where it has suddenly started downloading apks onto my phone.

zerks wrote: »

Well its just an app so I dont see why it wouldnt run, all phones are Chinese phones after all, actually the ROMs on the phones in this thread are a lot closer to the stock Android rom than what you get on Samsungs and Sonys bloatware infested offerings so chances of an app working as its supposed to are probably better.

For example I just put the Google Cardboard app on my fairly ancient Jiayu G3 that I started this thread for and it works perfectly even though its just a beta straight from Googles labs and is only recommended for official Nexus devices for now, check the threads on various forums and see people with brand new Galaxies and HTCs etc all complaining about it not working or crashing.

emg74 wrote: »
    From looking at this thread I have bought this phone - http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4s-g4s-mtk6592-octa-core-47-inch-ips-ltps-hd-gorilla-glass-screen-android-42-2gb16gb-13mp-camera-3000mah-battery-gyroscope-otg-smartphone_p3809.html from Mixeshop

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes for delivery from Mixeshop ?

I bought the phone on 15th June & got email to say it was shipped on 17th June

Went with regular shipping with tracking

Getting impatient now !!

Also how is everyone that has this phone getting on with it ?
    You could have another couple of weeks, free delivery from China is sloooow. At least you'll have Kit Kat for it when it comes:

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/07/06/download-jiayu-finally-release-android-4-4-update-jiayu-g4s/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Ordered a phone from Mixeshop, accepted the order with EUEXP shipping, few days ago they tell me phone not in stock please add 20usd for a better phone (fair enough), they told me it shipped and would send me the tracking number. Now they email me to tell me that they cannot send it EUEXP but will send it DHL, so I can expect to pay Vat on it if they do.

Told them to cancel and refund as I would buy elsewhere, no response, got onto their live chat, and they said that they cannot send EUEXP and will send DHL, I told them I wanted to cancel and to issue a refund and they said they will send it EUEXP ?!! :confused:

I would wager that it will be sent DHL !!:mad:

Never again with MIXESHOP !!

Update: They have now said they will send it normal post (and offered me a 3usd refund for the trouble!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

pauleoin wrote: »
    Lenovo Golden Warrior A8, not available yet, but looks good if the price of $130/€95 is correct.

4G LTE
    13 mega-pixel rear camera with dual LED flash, 5 mega-pixel front facing camera,

Link:http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_golden_warrior_a8_gets_official_in_china_with_4g-news-8925.php

Good specs for the quoted price.
    I dont think I've ever really seen a good looking phone from Lenovo. They have some decently spec'd phones but they just look so dated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

RossieMan wrote: »
    Some rhoaster from the sthicks.

LOOK AT ME! ME ME ME!

Ok after loading my MIUI ROM, to get root access go to permissions and its at the bottom.

To fix the not downloading over wifi problem, find the app that says downloads. Then click the cog on the top right hand corner. Up will pop a new menu thing. change data usage to unlimited.

Download all the apps you like.

Setting it to 'Any Size' means nothing will download, 1GB is the biggest I can get. It's more than enough for me though, thanks for the solution

Setting it to 'Any Size' means nothing will download, 1GB is the biggest I can get. It's more than enough for me though, thanks for the solution

Must be a slightly different version of MIUI i was using. Glad that you've got some solution working anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

pauleoin wrote: »

4G LTE

I think this is for the Chinese market only

The 3G won't work here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement