Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

any sign of it?

Yup its a Lenovo A820,quad core really fast,dunno about battery yet most apps seem to work except the apps that arent compatible with 4.1 and above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thats a coincidence was going ask on the Laptop section why Lenovo seem so popular in the US but I never see them over here.

Let us know how you get on with the phone.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Thats a coincidence was going ask on the Laptop section why Lenovo seem so popular in the US but I never see them over here.

Let us know how you get on with the phone.

Still some Chinese crap on it that I will remove soon,very responsive good screen etc some Chinese writing still there as expected on stock rom.It came rooted so when I find a decent rom ill mod it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Still some Chinese crap on it that I will remove soon,very responsive good screen etc some Chinese writing still there as expected on stock rom.It came rooted so when I find a decent rom ill mod it:)

how much did U pay?

how much did U pay?

160 including DHL delivery and root, scored just above 13000 on antutu benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

160 including DHL delivery and root, scored just above 13000 on antutu benchmark.

So it evaded customs?

So it evaded customs?

Yeh they marked it as 2nd hand phone:)

Yeh they marked it as 2nd hand phone:)

The chinese, a great bunch of lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

seannash wrote: »
    android doesn't. need you to input settings.get to the APN screen and press the bottom left key and select reset to default.job done
    But it was default... then after I mucked about I set it back to default and it then worked... how was default different the second thime?:confused:
    Not too bothered now it's fixed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    But it was default... then after I mucked about I set it back to default and it then worked... how was default different the second thime?:confused:
    Not too bothered now it's fixed.:D
    it was default for china,not your Irish network.if you ever have connection problems just reset to default again

• Advertisement

Update on the battery was still 60% after using it from 8.30-12.30 so im quite happy with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

seannash wrote: »
    it was default for china,not your Irish network.if you ever have connection problems just reset to default again
    Nope, the VPNs were VODAFONE-IE and VODAFONE-MMS or something. I'll know in future anyway if I've problems to hit the default button.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Nope, the VPNs were VODAFONE-IE and VODAFONE-MMS or something. I'll know in future anyway if I've problems to hit the default button.
    Yes as defaulted by your sim card but the apn settings wont be correct.

anyway like you said you will know what to do if it happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

I received my G3 today and am getting a "sim card not detected error".

Its reading that its 3 signal but not showing any signal in the signal bars.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Perfect calls/text/data for me on my 3 sim out of the box, try going into settings and manually picking the right 3 network in the network selection screen, try the reset mentioned in the last few posts if that doesn't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

So people have been using the G3 for a while now how you find it after long period of use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Anyone take a punt on the g4 yet?

Gonna treat myself to a new phone after I finish the Leaving ( Mid June). If the G4 Is available, in going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Any thoughts on the g4???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Think I'll go for the g4 too. Sell on the Xperia ray and take the chance

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Cool , but from what website??

no idea sorry,

Can't be too far way for international users now surely.

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/05/jiayu-g4-production-models-deliveries-begin/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

worst case scenario.
    but whats stopping the customs pulling it and saying it "looks "like a samsung.
    Is samsung funding the customs nowadays???

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

I have finally got my G3 from Merrimobile and so far I am liking it alot.

Can anyone post a link to a really good step by step guide to updating to Jelly Bean. It is factory rooted.

Many thanks

Thargor wrote: »
    The Jellybean I put on mine is a beta of the official one that Jiayu is about to release, the ICS one thats on it is pretty much identical to be honest, 24 hour battery life for a heavy user, 48 for a light to medium user. Both are as smooth as you could want but if you really want to go Jellybean I first rooted it with Steps 1 and 2 of this recovery (ignore the rest):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35835919&postcount=66

Then I skipped straight to the final step in the OP here, the green bit at the bottom that says JellyBean Official Update How To:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359590-jiayu-g3-rooted-permanent-recovery-ics-spell-check-fixed/

The main thing to remember instead of wasting 4 hours failing at it like I did is to extract the files properly and after extraction any foreign/Chinese/blank characters in the filenames and folder names have to be renamed otherwise Flashtool wont work. Its piss easy though, will take you about 15 minutes if nothing goes wrong.
    Thats how I did it, skip the first part if you're sure its rooted. After installing Jellybean uninstall any chinese looking apps you see in the app list, one of them is a bit of a battery drain.

That was very quick thanks.

There is plenty i like about the g3 as it is and hopefully i can get a bit better battery life from it. In saying that it is no worse than the Xperia S that it is replacing.

How do you find Jelly Bean in general compared to ICS

Definitely go to the Jellybean beta, there is an improvement in battery life for sure. I was the same way at first I thought the battery was going to be a killer but with Jellybean and a bit of use its fine, hasnt let me down yet and Ive put it through some heavy days, charging once a day is ideal but you'll make it to 48 hours no bother if you have to, I read all my ebooks and do most of my browsing on my G3 these days as well as my calls and texts and I havent had to charge the second battery yet or even come close to it.

I have noticed it charges way faster off a USB plugged into the wall than it does off a pc usb port though.

Thargor wrote: »
    Definitely go to the Jellybean beta, there is an improvement in battery life for sure. I was the same way at first I thought the battery was going to be a killer but with Jellybean and a bit of use its fine, hasnt let me down yet and Ive put it through some heavy days, charging once a day is ideal but you'll make it to 48 hours no bother if you have to, I read all my ebooks and do most of my browsing on my G3 these days as well as my calls and texts and I havent had to charge the second battery yet or even come close to it.

I have noticed it charges way faster off a USB plugged into the wall than it does off a pc usb port though.

I will give it a go tonight and see how i get on.

On a seperate note do you know if it is possible to get a one button headphone remote to work on a G3. On my Xperia and galaxys it worked straight out of the box but the G3 wont work even with a couple of the aps off the playstore.

• Advertisement

No clue sorry, see if JB fixes it, although this guy made a thread yesterday saying none of the current roms seem to have that feature:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2267225

Have you tried all of the apps in the Play Store because I remember when I had an Xperia Play they didnt work on that either but an app from the store fixed it, try Winamp as your player aswell there was something in the settings about a headphone remote iirc.

This is the main G3 thread on that forum by the way, ask your question there and someone will answer it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1981634&page=65

Just FYI a lot of the info in the earlier parts of that thread is obsolete now so check carefully before you use any of it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement