Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

but he might need the GPS to find his way outside !! ??

My house isn't THAT big :P
    Khannie wrote: »
    Just to expand on this a bit - GPS can only work properly when it can receive a signal from several satellites. You need to be outdoors and under a clear sky to get a fast, clean lock.

Seemed to work fine indoors on every other phone I had. I emailed ibuygou anyway and they asked me to do a factory reset and download GPS fix from the play store. Will try the GPS fix first when I get home and then try the reset if I have no luck outdoors with the GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Colemania wrote: »
    My house isn't THAT big :P

Seemed to work fine indoors on every other phone I had. I emailed ibuygou anyway and they asked me to do a factory reset and download GPS fix from the play store. Will try the GPS fix first when I get home and then try the reset if I have no luck outdoors with the GPS

I find these two apps good for info on my GPS, they might help.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androits.gps.test.free

This one sets you GPS to the region you want (Ireland) but it requires root.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Pulled the trigger on a chinese OnePlus in the end from Aliexpress. Will report back when it arrives. Went with the 16gb version.
    It comes with stock android on it instead of ColorOS or CyanogenMod, so i'll be putting CM11 on it asap when I get it for the full experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hey guys checked on mixeshop there for a friend, is UPS delivery the new no customs option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They have always had a UPS option, so i doubt it.

Perhaps drop them an e-mail when ordering and see do they still do it.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    They have always had a UPS option, so i doubt it.

Perhaps drop them an e-mail when ordering and see do they still do it.

Will do, DHL is the only delivery that states customs, I know UPS has been noted on some Aliexpress shops as customs free.

I don't think there can be any delivery service that doesn't get inspected by customs.

Y'know, the whole drugs and bombs and ****e. All mail has to be checked.
    Its just luck of the draw whether your package gets pulled up or not.

From what ive seen, Parcel Motel seems to be far less likely to be caught for customs.

I don't think there can be any delivery service that doesn't get inspected by customs.

From what ive seen, Parcel Motel seems to be far less likely to be caught for customs.

Mixeshop had one up until last month.

that went through Belgium i believe.
    It would have went through customs, but as its sent from inside Europe you don't have to pay VAT on it.

that went through Belgium i believe.
    It would have went through customs, but as its sent from inside Europe you don't have to pay VAT on it.

Could be how UPS work too....I hope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Have any of the newer MediaTek chips fixed their GPS issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

pajopearl wrote: »
    Have any of the newer MediaTek chips fixed their GPS issues?

I think the octa-core ones are OK

My friend is getting the 64gb Oneplus one.....Im so not jealous

Make sure he knows about the potential yellow banding problem with the screen.

Its the reason i would never buy one, even if i was offered it for €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Make sure he knows about the potential yellow banding problem with the screen.

Its the reason i would never buy one, even if i was offered it for €250.

Hopefully that will be sorted at some point and only then would I consider one. Looks a cracker other than that though.

Serious spec, don't get me wrong.

but the screen is a big issue and they shouldn't be throwing them out knowing that there is an issue there.
    It the fact that is costs so much to get it sent back. Looks like its only the start of the problems with the oneplusone. More reports of dead pixels are coming in daily.

Might be just confined to one batch, perhaps.

Thanks didnt know that Ill say it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My phone was shipped using Netherlands Post,maybe that's why it skipped customs seeing as it had it labelled on the package so they assumed it originated in Europe.
    Other stuff I've ordered has even used Swedish Post.

zerks wrote: »
    My phone was shipped using Netherlands Post,maybe that's why it skipped customs seeing as it had it labelled on the package so they assumed it originated in Europe.
    Other stuff I've ordered has even used Swedish Post.

Who was the delivery company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I need some quick help please, My 12 moth old THL W200 camera has gone faulty so looking for a new phone. I'm a bit out of the loop on what phones are good at the moment.

I need something with excellently reliable GPS, my THL was rubbish and a 5 inch HD screen no more than 200euro delivered thanks.

• Advertisement

up your budget by 20 euro, buy a Mi3.

Snapdragon processor, 2gb, 5 inch HD screen.

its the way to go.

up your budget by 20 euro, buy a Mi3.

Snapdragon processor, 2gb, 5 inch HD screen.

its the way to go.

Totally agree here, btw my friend still wants the oneplus one he even googled a good fix for the yellow screen :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Well i would love an Mi3 but i was including all taxes i might get stung with for my max 200euro budget. Do you have any recommendations for 150euro please.

Totally agree here, btw my friend still wants the oneplus one he even googled a good fix for the yellow screen :pac:

Some people aren't turned off by the yellow banding.
    It is only a small thing, but it'd piss me off no end.

If you're spending 300+ on a phone you'd want it to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I haven't any yellow screen issues. It's the best phone I've ever used.

Some people aren't turned off by the yellow banding.
    It is only a small thing, but it'd piss me off no end.

If you're spending 300+ on a phone you'd want it to be perfect.

Easily fixed apparently leave it out in the sun for over an hour and it fixes itself.

Easily fixed apparently leave it out in the sun for over an hour and it fixes itself.

Sounds like a real hi-tech solution.

If theres a fix i guess its not that bad, it's suppose to be an absolute beast. Pity its so hard to get a hold of.

Sounds like a real hi-tech solution.

If theres a fix i guess its not that bad, it's suppose to be an absolute beast. Pity its so hard to get a hold of.

Yeh its on youtube somewhere, UV lights help too, I was shocked apparently he spent hours researching this phone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Has anyone had any experience using SP FlashTool? Tearing my hair out in frustration trying to reflash my THL W200 (factory reset it in order to give to someone else, whole thing has gone to sh!t). I think I've got the drivers all installed correctly (a nightmare in and of itself) but I can't seem to get the stock rom to actually flash.

• Advertisement

I've used it, fairly simple to use if i remember.

Is it windows 8 or 7 you're using?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement