Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It does in Europe not in North America. Not a whole lot of differences afaik. Warranty was reason I went for international version direct from one plus.

Just seen it there Ireland supports 1800 mhz as does the chinese version.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

It does in Europe not in North America. Not a whole lot of differences afaik. Warranty was reason I went for international version direct from one plus.

Oops sorry my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Samsung has been knocked off the top spot in China by a local smartphone maker via Business ETC http://jrnl.ie/1605067

Neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Has anyone else seen an issue like this? Bought a THL 5000 and got the following in an email a week or so later. Could be a long long wait now until I get it if cant fly.

"We’re writing to inform you that the package XXXXXXXXXCN from your order 140XXXXXXXXXX0 has failed to pass the airline security check as it contains lithium batteries/knives or products that contain liquid which are now under extra scrutiny in world air cargo services.

We therefore have switched it to another delivery channel to ensure the order is sent to you as soon as possible. "

Surely there are plenty of electronics been shipped by plane, I was suspicious of the above.

connollys wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen an issue like this? Bought a THL 5000 and got the following in an email a week or so later. Could be a long long wait now until I get it if cant fly.

"We’re writing to inform you that the package XXXXXXXXXCN from your order 140XXXXXXXXXX0 has failed to pass the airline security check as it contains lithium batteries/knives or products that contain liquid which are now under extra scrutiny in world air cargo services.

We therefore have switched it to another delivery channel to ensure the order is sent to you as soon as possible. "

Surely there are plenty of electronics been shipped by plane, I was suspicious of the above.

I would ask for a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I must admit I have my suspicions with regards to the stock levels of the THL 5000. I have been watching Etotalk like a hawk and they only have it in the presale section.

I would have thought they would have got if it were readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

connollys wrote: »

The problem with lithium batteries is quite common and going to happen more and more. I think it's also a problem with Amazon.co.uk on certain products from the UK to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

T-Bird wrote: »
    The problem with lithium batteries is quite common and going to happen more and more. I think it's also a problem with Amazon.co.uk on certain products from the UK to Ireland

Maybe worth getting the seller to mark it as something that doesn't have batteries.

If this was an issue why would affect only one phone out of thousands?

Barr wrote: »
    I must admit I have my suspicions with regards to the stock levels of the THL 5000. I have been watching Etotalk like a hawk and they only have it in the presale section.

I would have thought they would have got if it were readily available.

Chinavasion have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Would be interested in the thl 5000 for the battery life, would be bit worried about android version though, previous thl phone probably never gets update from 4.2.
    Anyone know what the story is with the 5000, see it being sold with 4.2 but other pages mention 4.4?

edit: mostly seems to be 4.4.2 so that probably what it is but some pages do say 4.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

corwill wrote: »
    Is there actually going to be a Mi3S as well as the Mi4?As I understand it, only the 16gb Mi4 (without 4g enabled) is available from resellers so far.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah they announced the Mi3S at the same time as the Mi4. It's got 3GB RAM, a slightly faster processor (I think), a few little improvements on the Mi3 so if it was available I'd go for it but I haven't seen anything since launch.

Hey guys, anyone recenlty bought the new Xiaomi Mi4 and are using it and are happy? Could you tell me where you bought it from, how long delivery was, and also if it needed to be rooted? Thanks a mill for any advice! Want to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't even think you can buy it yet.

Hey I've seen it available from www.xiaomishop.com @$459.99 But I don't know these guys, and am curious what story is with customs or do they send it through the EU? Also heard of pandawill which is available @$469.99 as presale, also never used these guys either.

Rooting doesn't seem to be issue...
    spix wrote: »
    Xiaomi phones do not need to be rooted to install play store or update to kitkat. Most sellers will send it rooted though as they usually install a multilanguage rom. The stock one comes with English already though. Best place to buy xiaomi phones is ibuygou.com and they also send the phone with stock rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I don't even think you can buy it yet.

Etotalk still have it marked as "pre-sale", they seem to be a bit better than most of the other resellers when it comes to codding on about have given models of phone in stock.

Hey I've seen it available from www.xiaomishop.com @$459.99 But I don't know these guys, and am curious what story is with customs or do they send it through the EU?

Checkout there, and they include customs via DHL delivered to Ireland within 3-7 days @ €374.59, White only available :(

Anyone ever bought from these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Checkout there, and they include customs via DHL delivered to Ireland within 3-7 days @ €374.59, White only available :(

Anyone ever bought from these guys?

I've been looking at them myself. Just be careful about the 16gb versions of the Mi4 on offer from resellers at the moment, I read somewhere, might have been gizchina or gsmarena or the likes, that it doesn't have 4g enabled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Discodog wrote: »
    Maybe worth getting the seller to mark it as something that doesn't have batteries.

If this was an issue why would affect only one phone out of thousands?

I see from the change of tracking number that it now seems to be getting shipped via Sweden post. Tracking number ends in SE, but when i go to that related link, no tracking number found to match mine. Getting more suspicious but hopefully something shows up soon, even on the tracker so I could see it was actually progressing!

corwill wrote: »
    I've been looking at them myself. Just be careful about the 16gb versions of the Mi4 on offer from resellers at the moment, I read somewhere, might have been gizchina or gsmarena or the likes, that it doesn't have 4g enabled on it.

Yeh specs of xiaomishop's Xiaomi Mi4 16gb doesn't include 4g!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What are people's thoughts on the ZTE Nubia Z5S Mini (versus, for example the Jiayu G4S)?

edit: Bah....2000mah battery is a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 techpunked

Khannie wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the ZTE Nubia Z5S Mini (versus, for example the Jiayu G4S)?

edit: Bah....2000mah battery is a deal breaker.

but they are really good looking phones

• Advertisement

hi guys, how about this?

antelife.com do a THL L969 4G phone for about 95 euros?

I have friends who have THL mobiles and are pretty good.

P.S. sorry I can't post links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If you don't mind your eyes bleeding at that screen resolution and horrible cameras, and the fact that the 4G won't work here.

then its still not great, i'd look at uping your budget its a decent 4G phone you're after.

Edit: misread the specs, the 4G will work here as far as i can tell.

RossieMan wrote: »
    If you don't mind your eyes bleeding at that screen resolution and horrible cameras, and the fact that the 4G won't work here.

then its still not great, i'd look at uping your budget its a decent 4G phone you're after.

Edit: misread the specs, the 4G will work here as far as i can tell.

Yeah, but like you said, what good is a 4G phone with a screen like that? I see they do a Umi C1, not 4G but great specs :) .

This is from their website:

Highlights:
    Model: UMI C1
    Color: White /Black
    CPU: MTK6582 Quad-core Cortex-A7 1.3GHz
    ROM: 16GB
    RAM: 1GB
    Card Extend: Support SD/TF Card up to 32GB
    SIM Card: Dual SIM Card Dual Standby, One Micro Sim Card
    Dual Cameras: Dual Cameras, 3.2MP front facing / 13.0MP rear facing,
    ( the 13.0MP back camera taking Sony IMX179 f/2.4 aperture and 5P lens,Support face beauty,
    voice capture and smile shot )
    Screen: 5.5 inch OGS LTPS HD Screen,Corning Gorilla Glass capacitive touch screen 1280 x 720 pixels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Not heard of that website before so i can't really judge if buying from them is a good idea. Maybe google around to see if they're trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Anyone have a recommended seller for the Xiaomi mi 3? Would like to avoid customs if at all possible.

Not heard of that website before so i can't really judge if buying from them is a good idea. Maybe google around to see if they're trustworthy.

oh, I've used them loads of times in the last 1.5 years. they are trustworthy, thanks.

Pizarro wrote: »
    Anyone have a recommended seller for the Xiaomi mi 3? Would like to avoid customs if at all possible.

you could try antelife.com, they have the mi3 for 205 euros. bought a redmi 1s from them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but the new XiaoMi Note was announced today.

Here are the specs copied from their post on Google+.

Meet the New Redmi Note 4G/LTE with Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, Quad-Core 1.6 GHz, 2GB RAM Available on Aug 12 in China:
    - 10g lighter, better experience
    - Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 MSM8928 Quad-Core 1.6 GHz
    - 2GB RAM + 8GB flash memory + Extensive to 64GB
    - MIUI based on Android 4.4 KitKat; Can be connected to Mi Band
    - 5.5 inches IPS display
    - 13MP Camera
    - 3100 mAh battery
    - Single-SIM
    - 999 RMB (~160 USD)
    - TD-LTE version will be on sale from Aug 12, 2014 (next Tue); FDD-LTE version will be available from Aug 26, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

http://www.etotalk.com/elephone-p8-android-44_p5400.html

That looks like a nice piece of kit for the price.
    on sale* this week too.

*same price as it always was.

not sure if s5 cases will fit it or not.

I would of been a bit dismissive of Elephone but having watched the reviews, it seems like a very good phone & great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

The elephone p8 looks great alright. Would the battery of 2800mah be good enough for moderate use?
    I was waiting for to buy the thl 5000 but the battery seems to be the only big difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement