Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just got an email from Merimobiles, from next Monday they'll be shipping from a new EU warehouse so 2-3 or 5-6 day shipping options and no customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

Can anyone here advise on the best way to put a custom ROM on a jiayu g4s? I basically just want to remove all the chinese apps and bloatware stuff

If all you want to do is remove the chinese bloatware, then it might be possible to install mobileuncle from play store and then enable superuser.

You'll hopefully find superuser in settings/security in the device administration section (if the option exists in yours - it did in mine-bought from pandawill).

In that case you can uninstall the bloatware without installing a new ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thargor wrote: »
    Just got an email from Merimobiles, from next Monday they'll be shipping from a new EU warehouse so 2-3 or 5-6 day shipping options and no customs.

Came here to post that! They will now get most of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

Came here to post that! They will now get most of my business.

It looks good alright but they're asking recipients of the email to vote on which products the European warehouse should stock. The might mean that it'll be limited in scope - a bit like the antelife equivalent. Also, there might be Vat effectively paid on all phones in the EU warehouse whereas customs can be hit or miss with individual parcels - especially with standard chinapost or singpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thargor wrote: »
    no customs.

You'll have already have paid customs effectively. They can't operate a warehouse within the EU selling to an end consumer without paying VAT on your purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1

- they're fooling no one. Only advantage really is faster shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I should have phrased it better, no agonising wait for the customs letter through the door and extra delays, still at least the price you see will be the price you pay now and fast shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 techpunked

guys I heard that antelife are opening a similar warehouse in London. how good would that be? have 2 competitors able to deliver to UK without custom tax and other extra fees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No benefit of that really, only more cost for buying them.

Hopefully might increase the uptake of Chinese phones. More users = more developers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RossieMan wrote: »
    No benefit of that really, only more cost for buying them.

Hopefully might increase the uptake of Chinese phones. More users = more developers.

I think it will, the word is spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 gemg80

Thinking of buying chinese brand phone but all the 3g/4g/900/1800/ghz stuff is a foreign language to me. Was looking at doogee-dg800 or xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core? Can anyone advise which is better, which will work in Ireland, I'm with Meteor network

In terms of battery, is 2800mah in any way sufficient if your getting a high spec (1.7ghz octa core, 2gig Ram ) phone? I wouldnt be much of a gamer now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's a decent battery. Should give you 1 day of fairly heavy use easily enough.

gemg80 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying chinese brand phone but all the 3g/4g/900/1800/ghz stuff is a foreign language to me. Was looking at doogee-dg800 or xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core? Can anyone advise which is better, which will work in Ireland, I'm with Meteor network

Xiaomi anyday over Doogee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hi all, looking at pulling the trigger on the xiaomi redmi note
    http://www.xiaomishop.com/29-xiaomi-redmi-hongmi-note

Any users here? What's the story with the miui interface layer on the jelly bean os? Is there extra bloatware on these phones?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gemg80

Do decided to go with Xiaomi 1s but should I order it reflashed with multi language and google play store or rooted without chinese app???

Like I said in previous, tech speak WAY over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

gemg80 wrote: »
    Do decided to go with Xiaomi 1s but should I order it reflashed with multi language and google play store or rooted without chinese app???

Like I said in previous, tech speak WAY over my head

Stock Miui is in English anyways, so multilang probably isn't necessary unless you want to use a different language. And google play store takes about 5 minutes to install, it doesn't need root. Rooted without bloatware is probably a good idea if you don't know how to root and uninstall them yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Has anyone managed to order a Xiaomi Mi4 yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

HI Everyone

I received a wireless update for my Iocean X7HD but I'm reluctant to download and install because the description is all in chinese. Am I better off ignoring it? I was awaiting an update to kitkat but can't be sure this is it. Any help would be appreciated.

HI Everyone

I received a wireless update for my Iocean X7HD but I'm reluctant to download and install because the description is all in chinese. Am I better off ignoring it? I was awaiting an update to kitkat but can't be sure this is it. Any help would be appreciated.

Google translate is your friend, even if it is not the best, it will be able to help you understand.

Post it here if not and I will try to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hi all, looking at pulling the trigger on the xiaomi redmi note
    http://www.xiaomishop.com/29-xiaomi-redmi-hongmi-note

Any users here? What's the story with the miui interface layer on the jelly bean os? Is there extra bloatware on these phones?
    Thanks.

There are a couple of users here. Let us know how you get on with it. The problem is that this thread is so long & information gets buried.

techpunked wrote: »
    Google translate is your friend, even if it is not the best, it will be able to help you understand.

I've taken a screenshot, so if anyone can decipher it would be great.

Many thanks techpunked

techpunked wrote: »

Discodog wrote: »
    There are a couple of users here. Let us know how you get on with it. The problem is that this thread is so long & information gets buried.

True. I still haven't pulled the trigger.....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Havent been on this thread in a while. playing with one of my other phones. anyways does anyone have the thl5000? last time i was on here I thought loads of people had issues getting it.
    if so where did you order? how long did it take. is it really that good?

Looking at the Xiaomi Redmi 1S now - 50 Euro cheaper, http://www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Can someone confirm that this will work out of the box in Ireland, I have come across some conflicting data. From the link, the Network Frequency is 2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz & 3G: WCDMA 900 / 2100MHz.

I understand there are instructions available to root the phone and an installer to enable google apps - my concerns are that I will end up with a brick if I screw it up, or are there steps available to recover the phone?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

It's a wireless software update description.

Version:
    Size:
    Release date:

Update include:

Installation instruction: Choose "install", the machine reboots and enters the update mode. The process takes a few minutes so make sure there is enough battery power.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Looking at the Xiaomi Redmi 1S now - 50 Euro cheaper, http://www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Can someone confirm that this will work out of the box in Ireland, I have come across some conflicting data. From the link, the Network Frequency is 2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz & 3G: WCDMA 900 / 2100MHz.

I understand there are instructions available to root the phone and an installer to enable google apps - my concerns are that I will end up with a brick if I screw it up, or are there steps available to recover the phone?

Thanks!

Yeh that will work in Ireland for 3G

caoty wrote: »
    It's a wireless software update description.

Version:
    Size:
    Release date:

Update include:

Installation instruction: Choose "install", the machine reboots and enters the update mode. The process takes a few minutes so make sure there is enough battery power.

Thanks Caoty, just wondering what it's updating though. I'm afraid it will change the language etc and lose some of my own stuff like Go Launcher ex pro etc etc.

• Advertisement

Many thanks techpunked

hi mate, please see below:

1. Resolved Whatsapp video recording bug
    2. changes to SMS Signatures
    3. unlock icon changed to iOcean logo
    4. added small camera to the main interface (or something like that)
    5. system optimizations

I have if you are interested the latest KitKat 4.4 ROM from iOcean. let me know if interested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement