Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jiayu G4 release date has been pushed back to August 15th

I'm not gonna wait any longer for it anyway.

If the UMI X2 honours its release date, and stock is readiily available, I might get that.

If not, might spend a few quid extra on the Nexus 4. No sd card slot is a pain though

were did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

were did you hear that?

Pandawill website. They say a few prototypes of the basic version will be released, but the advanced version wont be released until august

http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-g4-advanced-smart-phone-mtk6589-quad-core-2g-32g-47-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-android-41-13mp-camera-gyroscope-p71208.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm not waiting that long!

Lenovo p770 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lenovo should be paying me money for all this !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Lenovo should be paying me money for all this !!!!!

looking at a820 myself 149$ plus postage from etotalk.com

• Advertisement

Tallaghtmick has started the Lenovo takeover in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just something I haven't seen yet is, what would you compare these phones to in the normal market such as Samsungs and HTC.

Would you compare these to the Samsung Mini etc or better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

a820 looks a very good phone. 140e del. with EMS from merimobiles inc rooted software.
    The p770 also looks good but is only dual core and costs more for no good reason afaik?

a820 looks a very good phone. 140e del. with EMS from merimobiles inc rooted software.
    The p770 also looks good but is only dual core and costs more for no good reason afaik?

the p770 has a huge battery! 3500mah

I only need it to last me a day, im not even a heavy user, and mick said the battery is lasting him well on the a820

• Advertisement

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Just something I haven't seen yet is, what would you compare these phones to in the normal market such as Samsungs and HTC.

Would you compare these to the Samsung Mini etc or better?

Yeh much better, antatu benchmark has it better than the S2, I have screenshots ill show soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

Yeh much better, antatu benchmark has it better than the S2, I have screenshots ill show soon.

Well done on picking out such a decent phone out of so many.
    What rom are you running, just the stock one?

Seems such a good price for such a good brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Anyone know if there's a anywhere in dublin i can pick up a g2s or a g3 in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I'm not sure the dual core/quad core thing matters greatly tbh. Maybe not with these phones anyway. I think plenty of dual core handsets can out perform quad core. This is just an instance, but as they say, essentially analagous :http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57410518-94/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/

Bobby_D wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a anywhere in dublin i can pick up a g2s or a g3 in dublin?

there's a g3 on donedeal for 190

du Maurier wrote: »
    I'm not sure the dual core/quad core thing matters greatly tbh. Maybe not with these phones anyway. I think plenty of dual core handsets can out perform quad core. This is just an instance, but as they say, essentially analagous :http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57410518-94/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/

No, i completely agree I have heard of dual outperforming quad.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Thank you!

Bobby_D wrote: »
    Thank you!

Ah dont be giving someone more money than they paid for it! Just order it and use DHL be there in a week.

Btw my ol Lenovo works perfectly on viber too :)

I'm leaning towards the a830 now Quad core 1.2 Ghz , 5 inch screen and A flash for the camera . $179 on etotalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭HomeBoyDeluxe

The GSM has stopped working completely on my G3 for the past couple of weeks, an post wants 30 euro for registered post back to China, plus I would have to pay for postage back to Ireland after it repaired. Might just sell it as faulty on ebay.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Factory reset? Checked if the problem is your sim and not the phone? Flash a new ROM on it and see if its just the Android installation thats corrupted? Are your APN settings okay under mobile networks in system Settings?

A reset may be in order, I was wondering could a dodgy "app" changed my settings. Any good back up apps you can suggest to keep my info etc?.

If that does not work, I think I will try and flash it, how do I check my APN settings? what should I be looking for?. The Sim is fine, I am using it in a old phone with no issues.

Ah well, if it is broken, gives me an excuse to get this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S4-STAR-N9500-5-Phone-Android-4-2-1-MTK6589-1-2GHz-Quad-Core-3G-SimFree-/261209514792?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item3cd14ce328

Thanks,

John.

Well try the reset first, and yes get rid of any battery management apps before the reset especially ones that shut off the 3G when not in use, thats what wiped my APN settings before.

APN settings can be found in Settings>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

Who are you with? Im with 3 so i can see 3ireland.ie and when I tap that I can see various 3ireland entries in their right places, all these should be filled in automatically after a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Andi over at GizChina has released another video with his G4. He also said he will be releasing a 3rd video of the G4 with a lot more detail in it soon

A factory reset seemed to do the trick, I would still recommend this phone, its brilliant for the price!

OK guys if anyone wants to get a phone off merimobiles use the code VIP to get 5% off in the next 48 hours

A factory reset seemed to do the trick, I would still recommend this phone, its brilliant for the price!
    You waited a couple of weeks before trying a reset? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Just for anyone trying Skype on a Jiayu, certainly on a G2+. You seem to need a reboot every time you want to start the app (including after the install) but then it seems to work fine until you close it again. If you have the RAM you might just leave it on all the time I suppose.
    I'm not sure if it doesn't like to be rotated to landscape too, so I set Ultimate Rotation to keep it in portrait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I bit the bullet and ordered a lenovo A820 from mixieshop.
    I got it flashed and a 32gb card for 160€
    The phone was €122.

It came in 20 cheaper than merimobiles with dhl shipping.

If I dont like it I'll blame tallaghtmick :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement