Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

techpunked wrote: »
    hi mate, please see below:

1. Resolved Whatsapp video recording bug
    2. changes to SMS Signatures
    3. unlock icon changed to iOcean logo
    4. added small camera to the main interface (or something like that)
    5. system optimizations

I have if you are interested the latest KitKat 4.4 ROM from iOcean. let me know if interested.

That's brilliant Tech, I downloaded it no problem and then when I when to update the phone, it bombed and gave me the android icon with the red triangle. I then could not even boot into recovery mode, the phone simply would not work. Panicked but then took out the battery and replaced and now it's working fine but without the update. I've tried the sideload option but cannot open the folder with the adp files in it so I think'll I'll ignore it but I probably should get the kit kat when it comes. I don't know what to do. Is kit kat worth it? I'm perfectly happy with my phone as it is.

btw what do they mean adding small camera to the main interface.......... hmmm. Anyway I think I'm going to take the "if it's not broken don't fix it" route. Really appreciate the translation though, Google translate wouldn't work for me. :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

DeadSkin wrote:
    Looking at the Xiaomi Redmi 1S now - 50 Euro cheaper,

did you go ahead with this purchase? I see they have the Mi4 in stock, I'd be grateful for your feedback on their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The lips

fixxxer wrote: »
    did you go ahead with this purchase? I see they have the Mi4 in stock, I'd be grateful for your feedback on their service.

I just ordered the RedMi 1s from http://www. xiaomishop.com/ shipping from the EU. I will let you know when it arrives.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not yet - will do.
    The lips wrote: »
    I just ordered the RedMi 1s from http://www. xiaomishop.com/ shipping from the EU. I will let you know when it arrives.....

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the service and how the phone works out. Which option did you select for shipping, it states to select EU Warehouse 2-5 days Delivery by UPS, DHL.., but when you go to your cart the option is DHL 3-7 working days - I assume the latter is the option to select to ship from within the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

From ibuygou:
    Note to customers
    The first Mi4 released will be for WCDMA only, we are expecting other versions later this year which include LTE band support. To be clear, TDD-LTE bands will NOT work outside of China mainland, if you require European LTE band support you will need to purchase the FDD-LTE version (date not yet announced). We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I'm waiting for the 64GB FDD-LTE version to be released.

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote:
    I'm waiting for the 64GB FDD-LTE version to be released.

I saw that. I'm not too fussed about LTE to be honest. 64GB would be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 techpunked

If anybody is interested, 2 Oneplus One invites giveaway:

techpunked. wordpress. com/2014/08/13/were-giving-away-2-invites-to-purchase-a-64gb-oneplus-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Xiaomi MI3 or MI4 and in particular MIUI V5. Has this got an embedded print function similar to the one on KitKat or can I download Android apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Chinese 16gb oneplus arrived today. Great phone from what I've seen so far. No initial problems anyway. It said it was going to come with android installed, turns out that meant CyanogenMod. Means I don't have to go messing with rooting straight off the bat :D They got my order wrong in that I ordered an official flip case. Got an official cover instead. And another clear cover for some reason. :L Don't care. Got an Orzly Screen Protector on ebay in the mean time which I'll apply tonight. I'll look into a small refund on the cover.

Getting a H+ icon in Oranmore, will keep an eye out for LTE closer to Galway City. Checked speedtest.net and that was a ~2Mbps connection. Not bad for in a building.

Got shafted a bit on import VAT. It was caught in customs and had to shell out 10euro to DHL (For dealing with customs) and 65euro in VAT. Was expecting it since I didn't try to hide it in any way so wasn't that bad.
    Overall cost: 363euro
    Be a bit smarter than me and you'll get it a bit cheaper. Still feel it was worth that price.

Seller: ETStar on AliExpress.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

hogandrew wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Xiaomi MI3 or MI4 and in particular MIUI V5. Has this got an embedded print function similar to the one on KitKat or can I download Android apps?

Mi4 is unreleased as of yet. I don't know about the Mi3, but I have the Xiaomi Mipad which runs MiUI V5. Its based on KitKat, version number currently sits at 4.4.4.

I can print from the Google Drive app with no problem, so I'm sure the phones are identical. And MiUI is basically an android ROM, so yes, you can install android apps on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Mi4 is unreleased as of yet. I don't know about the Mi3, but I have the Xiaomi Mipad which runs MiUI V5. Its based on KitKat, version number currently sits at 4.4.4.

I can print from the Google Drive app with no problem, so I'm sure the phones are identical. And MiUI is basically an android ROM, so yes, you can install android apps on them

How do you find not having the usual apps drawer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

just install nova launcher or such to get the app drawer back.

RossieMan wrote: »
    just install nova launcher or such to get the app drawer back.

I didn't realise it was that easy, I use nova anyway.

corwill wrote: »
    How do you find not having the usual apps drawer?

Its okay when you get used to it, but I think I'll go back to Nova. I had MiUI on a phone and I hated the stock launcher, but I'm finding it more use able on the tablet. But yeah any third party launcher fixes it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

probably get better off amazon

Battery won't last pissing time with regular/heavy usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Battery won't last pissing time with regular/heavy usage

What capacity battery would be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wondering if I should just grab a OnePlusOne now instead of waiting 6 months for something better then deciding to buy one anyway, there still arent any decent 4G phones at the same price point are there? Plenty on Gizchina every day for the last 6 months but they never seem to get released! Also support for the OnePlusOne will probably be massive for a couple of years at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thargor wrote: »
    Wondering if I should just grab a OnePlusOne now instead of waiting 6 months for something better then deciding to buy one anyway, there still arent any decent 4G phones at the same price point are there? Plenty on Gizchina every day for the last 6 months but they never seem to get released! Also support for the OnePlusOne will probably be massive for a couple of years at least...

Have they stated the warranty & return procedures. Is your purchase protected by UK law?

I have read complaints that people have had to pay to return faulty phones to China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I don't know tbh, never really cared about warranties, stuff always just works for me. What happened to that xiaomi that was supposed to be a OnePlusOne killer a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Mixeshop taking the piss with my friends Oneplus one, I arranged it all for him used UPS, instead I get a mail giving me a DHL tracker and them saying DHL, as soon as I mentioned this they reply no its UPS, rang UPS who said thats not a UPS tracker, I reckon Mixeshop have recalled the order and there will be a delay, he ordered it last tuesday ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Mixeshop taking the piss with my friends Oneplus one

Mixeshop are absolutely terrible for customer service. :/

What capacity battery would be recommended?

Quad Core 5 inch screen you want at least 2500, as the size goes up increase mAh, anything over 3000 is lots though

What happened to that xiaomi that was supposed to be a OnePlusOne killer a while ago?

So far only the 16gb Mi4, without 4g enabled, has been released into the wild. Could be months yet before a euro-4G version is available from re-sellers.

It'll be interesting to see what the Meizu MX4 is like, could be a beast, but again availability is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Khannie wrote: »
    Mixeshop are absolutely terrible for customer service. :/

Ive never had a problem but of course when I do it for a friend it all blows up in my face, he does be paranoid as it is!

Quad Core 5 inch screen you want at least 2500, as the size goes up increase mAh, anything over 3000 is lots though

It's a pretty low resolution screen, though, and the processor isn't that beefy either, so that battery mightn't be that bad, if you can make your peace with the low res and light processor.

I've been looking at the ZTE Nubia Z7 Max, there seems to be availability from a few places, eg. etotalk.

Torn between an Mi4 on xiaomishop.com and waiting for a oneplus one invite on the other thread. Mi4 edging slightly because of the f/1.8 camera. Interestingly, Xiaomi have released an app so you can check if your phone is a knock off or not. not that will do you much good post purchase I suppose.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    It's a pretty low resolution screen, though, and the processor isn't that beefy either, so that battery mightn't be that bad, if you can make your peace with the low res and light processor.

its still an awful lot of screen to power for 2000mAh. It'll be use able with apps like Leandroid, but you'll be dependent on them to last over 10 hours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement