Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

its still an awful lot of screen to power for 2000mAh. It'll be use able with apps like Leandroid, but you'll be dependent on them to last over 10 hours

Tbh, the low screen res would put me off even quicker than the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Could someone summarise this mega-thread into two or three lines. I just dont want to read 5700+ posts.:eek:

Question is how about a top ten of current chinese android fones ??

Which brands are best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

bmm wrote: »
    Could someone summarise this mega-thread into two or three lines. I just dont want to read 5700+ posts.:eek:

Question is how about a top ten of current chinese android fones ??

Which brands are best?

Jiayu,Lenovo,Mlais,iOcean,HDC,Umi,Xiaomi,ZTE,THL and Zopo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Jiayu,Lenovo,Mlais,iOcean,HDC,Umi,Xiaomi,ZTE,THL and Zopo

Ah yea but it what order ;)

wiz569 wrote: »
    Ah yea but it what order ;)

Ive only had 4 of them brands lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It depends on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This^

We're in a bit of a flux period at the minute, bad time to be buying a phone, the OnePlusOne is probably the best if you want 4G, some bargains out there if you dont care about 4G though, Xaoimi mi3 for one.

Thargor wrote: »
    This^

We're in a bit of a flux period at the minute, bad time to be buying a phone, the OnePlusOne is probably the best if you want 4G, some bargains out there if you dont care about 4G though, Xaoimi mi3 for one.

That's why I've decided to get myself a Mi3, then I'll see what's on offer in the new year. By then, my vodafone contract will be up, so I can go to 3 or meteor for 1800mHz for 4G at that stage.

Anyone feel like recommending a reseller to order it from? I'm thinking either etotalk or xiaomishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The lips

corwill wrote: »

Anyone feel like recommending a reseller to order it from? I'm thinking either etotalk or xiaomishop.

I just received a redmi 1s from xiaomi shop. Delivered in two days from Italy, DHL with no question of customs.

Constantly updated me by email with the status of the order.

The lips wrote: »
    I just received a redmi 1s from xiaomi shop. Delivered in two days from Italy, DHL with no question of customs.

I'm waiting for them to email me back, but they don't appear to have the Mi3 64gb available from the EU warehouses. Bah!

Edit: it looks like a case I was trying to buy was causing the problem, not in stock in either EU warehouse. Lock and load!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The lips wrote: »

Did you have to mod it in anyway, remove bloat ware, load google play etc....
    Appreciate your thoughts on this, prob gonna buy one for the Mrs but would like to know if much needs to be done to the phone to get it user friendly. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Glad to xiaomishop was painless. going to order a Mi4 later, hopefully same for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do Xiaomi Shop remove all the Chinese apps etc ? I was going to buy from Etotalk because of their Rom.

I am trying decide between the Xiaomi Note & the Elephone P8.

Ah so mixeshop gave me a updated tracking number......It was sent 2 days ago, ffs can they not say oh sorry we made a mistake heres a voucher.

Discodog wrote: »
    Do Xiaomi Shop remove all the Chinese apps etc ? I was going to buy from Etotalk because of their Rom.

I am trying decide between the Xiaomi Note & the Elephone P8.

I don't think they do, but rooting and uninstalling doesn't seem to be too bad on the Xs. I'm interested in taking MiUi for a spin. Is there much to be said for etorom over MiUi? Leaner/less scutterware?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The lips

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Did you have to mod it in anyway, remove bloat ware, load google play etc....
    Appreciate your thoughts on this, prob gonna buy one for the Mrs but would like to know if much needs to be done to the phone to get it user friendly. Thanks

No mod required, all in english and google play store installed.

Mi store is also installed, majority of it in Chinese, themes and crap on it.

The Mi interface is quite similar to iOS, user friendly.

I believe the Xiaomi phones are straightforward to root if you want a different interface etc, I wont bother after playing with for a while.

I bought it for my mother as a first smartphone and I am confident she will get the hang of it.

Phone feels well built, OTA updated straight away.

A european plug was with it so just specify when ordering.

The MOTO G is similarly priced for less spec, just to see what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

MiUI 6 is being released tomorrow. This is a huge update to the current MiUI 5. Looking forward to see how it looks.

Is there any impatience quite like waiting for a transfer to hit your PayPal when you've made up your mind on a new gadget?

Is there any impatience quite like waiting for a transfer to hit your PayPal when you've made up your mind on a new gadget?

Waiting for a preorder phone to be shipped ;)

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Waiting for a preorder phone to be shipped ;)

Definitely worse!

Went ahead and ordered to Mi4 from Xiamishop. Their version of in stock seems to mean they dont actually have it but they will soon. Have been promised shipping within 8 days so lets see how that works out.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Went ahead and ordered to Mi4 from Xiamishop. Their version of in stock seems to mean they dont actually have it but they will soon. Have been promised shipping within 8 days so lets see how that works out.

Happy enough not to have 4g? I'll spring for the 4g/64gb version eventually, if I get on well with the Mi3.

Happy enough not to have 4g? I'll spring for the 4g/64gb version eventually, if I get on well with the Mi3.

Yeah my phone spends most of its time on wifi and the rest in areas with good 3G/H signal so its not a big miss for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Any one use antelife to buy phones?

I can get two Xiaomi Redmi 1S phones for 260 Euro shipping with UPS 3-5 days. http://www.antelife.com/xiaomi-hongmi-1s-wcdma-version-qualcomm-8228-snapdragon-400-quad-core-1g-8g-f2-2-dual-camera-1-6-8-0mp-4-7-inch-ips-screen-smartphone-black.html

For two of the same phones on the Xiaomishop it will cost me just shy of 300 Euros shipping DHL 3-7 days http://www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Any one use antelife to buy phones?

I can get two Xiaomi Redmi 1S phones for 260 Euro shipping with UPS 3-5 days. http://www.antelife.com/xiaomi-hongmi-1s-wcdma-version-qualcomm-8228-snapdragon-400-quad-core-1g-8g-f2-2-dual-camera-1-6-8-0mp-4-7-inch-ips-screen-smartphone-black.html

For two of the same phones on the Xiaomishop it will cost me just shy of 300 Euros shipping DHL 3-7 days http://www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Thanks.

Antelife might be subject to customs whereas Xiaomishop might be shipping from EU ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Antelife might be subject to customs whereas Xiaomishop might be shipping from EU ?

That's my thinking, I'm paying extra to avoid/ reduce risk/hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't think they do, but rooting and uninstalling doesn't seem to be too bad on the Xs. I'm interested in taking MiUi for a spin. Is there much to be said for etorom over MiUi? Leaner/less scutterware?

I was interested in the Etotalk rom because it sounds like a good idea but I couldn't find any reviews on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd see it as such a waste buying a Mi4 without 4G.

Just buy the Mi3 if you don't want to wait around. the Mi4 isn't worth the extra money over it IMO without 4G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not everyone lives in 4G areas guys, I'm lucky to have 3G in the local town. If I can get a 2G signal the phone will do me, I'm sure many rural people here are the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement