Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Any one use antelife to buy phones?

I can get two Xiaomi Redmi 1S phones for 260 Euro shipping with UPS 3-5 days. http://www.antelife.com/xiaomi-hongmi-1s-wcdma-version-qualcomm-8228-snapdragon-400-quad-core-1g-8g-f2-2-dual-camera-1-6-8-0mp-4-7-inch-ips-screen-smartphone-black.html

For two of the same phones on the Xiaomishop it will cost me just shy of 300 Euros shipping DHL 3-7 days http://www.xiaomishop.com/100-xiaomi-redmi-1s-quad-core-16ghz-1gb-8gb-47-inch-ips-8mp-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-version-smartphone-black.html

Thanks.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    Antelife might be subject to customs whereas Xiaomishop might be shipping from EU ?
    corwill wrote: »
    That's my thinking, I'm paying extra to avoid/ reduce risk/hassle.

Seeing the extra option to ship from a German warehouse today on xiaomi '3-10 business days delivery, tax free,without customs issue.' For two Redmi 1S phones including shipping is now down to 276 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

about the 200 mark

There's so many phones... but here's the ones from the more known manufacturers that are at least 5" with 2gb ram.

Asus Zenfone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4aaoKuYMA&list=PLFDF5E656E76BA892

There's a 5" and 6" version. I have the 5, only downside is average battery life and slightly low speaker volume. Could be different on the 6. UI is excellent, very snappy and is getting updates regularly from Asus. Not the best judge of cameras but it's much better than my Xperia SP and has some really cool features.

If you get one of these make sure the seller sells it with WW firmware (most aliexpress sellers will state it in listing). If you get a zenfone 5 that's on CN firmware version 1.15 or higher it can be a hassle to downgrade and convert it but not impossible.

Xiaomi Redmi Note
    Xiaomi Mi3
    Lenovo k910
    Lenovo Vibe X
    Coolpad f1
    THL T11
    Huawei Honor 3c
    Iocean x7s
    Zopo c2

Top on my list would be the zenfone, redmi note or honor 3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

spix wrote: »

I like the xiaomi phones, after the Jiayu I think ill go back to them......when I can afford a brand new one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Seeing the extra option to ship from a German warehouse today on xiaomi '3-10 business days delivery, tax free,without customs issue.' For two Redmi 1S phones including shipping is now down to 276 Euro

I'll have the whole family red-riced by Xmas, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

go for the Mi3. The asus suggested above has nothing on it.
    Best phone around the 5" mark in that price range. Great community support with it too.

those Zenfones are suppose to have problems with some apps on the playstore, you have anything like that so far?

RossieMan wrote: »
    go for the Mi3. The asus suggested above has nothing on it.
    Best phone around the 5" mark in that price range. Great community support with it too.

those Zenfones are suppose to have problems with some apps on the playstore, you have anything like that so far?

No problems at all with it, it's a seriously good phone especially the UI. I was shocked at how smooth it runs and has lots of useful features.

The mi3 is better specs wise, but its more expensive and has no micro sd slot. You can get a 16gb Zenfone 5 for almost $100 less. Both have their pros and cons, I just wanted a good phone for as cheap as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

corwill wrote: »
    I'll have the whole family red-riced by Xmas, I'd say.

:D
    28.88 to ship one phone and an extra 4.50 for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

:D
    28.88 to ship one phone and an extra 4.50 for the second.

They still work out great value for money, compared to, say, the Moto G. Don't mind paying a bit of a premium for speed of delivery, avoiding wrangles with customs hold-ups, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No problems at all with it, it's a seriously good phone especially the UI. I was shocked at how smooth it runs and has lots of useful features.

The mi3 is better specs wise, but its more expensive and has no micro sd slot. You can get a 16gb Zenfone 5 for almost $100 less. Both have their pros and cons, I just wanted a good phone for as cheap as possible :)

That looks a seriously good phone for the price. Who did you buy from ?

Just noticed a catch. A lot of the cheaper prices are for the lower cpu version.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    That looks a seriously good phone for the price. Who did you buy from ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-ZenFone-5-Mobile-Phone-for-ASUS-Android-4-3-Corning-Gorilla-3-Intel-Z2580-5/311331_1846107574.html

I got the 2gb/8gb version. The 16gb has a faster cpu (2ghz vs 1.6ghz) The phone is extremely fast as it is though and has the option to move apps to sd card, so I'd recommend the 8gb...but I'm a cheapskate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Can anyone recommend a phone with 4G.
    Ive a HTC one and its not charging anymore :(
    I was looking at the Jiayu before I got the HTC but it seems things have moved on in 18 months.

Some of the must haves
    Minimum 5" screen
    Good camera front and rear.
    4G
    probably 8 core 2 GB Ram

I know I wont get anything like Blinkfeed sadly

thanks

Huawei Ascend P7

ZTE NUbia 7 Max / Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the battery on that Zenfone is said to be quite poor from all the reviews i've read about it. I had looked at it when buying but it was a nightmare to get apps compatible with the intel chipset. Obviously the second problem has now been fixed. Battery is still a concern for me.

Screen is only 1280 x 720 also. Could help the battery time, but might not suit everyones taste. Camera is 8mp too. Suppose to be as good as a potato.

RossieMan wrote: »
    the battery on that Zenfone is said to be quite poor from all the reviews i've read about it. I had looked at it when buying but it was a nightmare to get apps compatible with the intel chipset. Obviously the second problem has now been fixed. Battery is still a concern for me.

Screen is only 1280 x 720 also. Could help the battery time, but might not suit everyones taste. Camera is 8mp too. Suppose to be as good as a potato.

From first hand experience I can tell you the battery is fine, just nothing out of the ordinary. Camera is also fine and alot better than on my sony xperia sp. It has some really cool modes too that you don't see on many other phones. Don't understand how an average user could possibly need a better camera on their phone. Definitely better than a potato.

Only 1280x720? I can't see any pixels unless the screen is 5cm from my face, then still have to look really hard. It's a really good quality display.

Asus are updating it reguarly too, latest was last week http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS%20ZenFone%205&p=39&s=1&os=32&hashedid=96nqlxHp1VKV4Rdz

Anyone got the Asus padfone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Redmi or Mi3?

134 versus 267 (xiaomishop)

Really struggling to make this call, folks. Is the extra few bob worth it? I know you're going to tell me yes, I just need someone else to say it so I dont feel guilty spoiling myself.

19543261 wrote: »
    Redmi or Mi3?

134 versus 267 (xiaomishop)

Really struggling to make this call, folks. Is the extra few bob worth it? I know you're going to tell me yes, I just need someone else to say it so I dont feel guilty spoiling myself.

Only you can answer that question, if you really want a high spec phone get the mi3, otherwise the redmi 1s.

Are those prices with EU direct shipping or from China? I'd only use xiaomishop with EU direct otherwise their prices are higher than usual and you'd be risking higher custom costs too.

Anyone got the Asus padfone?

Nope.. just had a look and there's so many different ones :/ They have padfones (phones that can slot into tablets) and fonepads (tablets that can be used as phones)

This one looks awesome http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_s-6238.php Snapdragon 801 and lte support. 5" full hd phone -> 9" tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

abarkie wrote: »
    Huawei Ascend P7

ZTE NUbia 7 Max / Mini

The ZTE is a serious bit of kit

Im not sure on the 5" or 5.5"

Whats peoples thoughts on the 5.5" for usability. The big screen is attractive but is it feasible for daily and prolonged use beside the ear or is it something you just hold in front of you and talk into ?

The ZTE is a serious bit of kit

Im not sure on the 5" or 5.5"

Whats peoples thoughts on the 5.5" for usability. The big screen is attractive but is it feasible for daily and prolonged use beside the ear or is it something you just hold in front of you and talk into ?

5.5" is easy to use as a regular phone just one handed use is almost impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone else here have the Xiaomi/Redmi Note ?
    I know that a couple of posters bought them but I haven't seen any recent comments as to how they are getting on.

One of the youtube reviews suggests that it comes preloaded with full English & Play Store. Does this make the Etotalk rom unnecessary ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Does anyone else here have the Xiaomi/Redmi Note ?
    I know that a couple of posters bought them but I haven't seen any recent comments as to how they are getting on.

One of the youtube reviews suggests that it comes preloaded with full English & Play Store. Does this make the Etotalk rom unnecessary ?

Depends where you buy it.

There's generally 2 configurations when buying an xiaomi phone. Some sellers sell it as they get it from the xiaomi store (chinese/english only, and no play store, although it is easy as pie to install yourself) and others pre-flash the miui international rom which has play store on it and lots of other languages. Most sellers do this for free but etotalk charge for it.

Personally I'd buy it here as its cheaper and seller is very reliable http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-font-b-Redmi-b-font-font-b-Note-b-font-WCDMA-Red-Rice-font/311331_1885305631.html

I was going to get the mi3 from them and asked about the roms. They can send it either way, original or flashed with international rom which is the default.

Nope.. just had a look and there's so many different ones :/ They have padfones (phones that can slot into tablets) and fonepads (tablets that can be used as phones)

This one looks awesome http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_s-6238.php Snapdragon 801 and lte support. 5" full hd phone -> 9" tablet.

Thats the one I want, theres a 2nd version too! Arghh money lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Only you can answer that question, if you really want a high spec phone get the mi3, otherwise the redmi 1s.

Are those prices with EU direct shipping or from China? I'd only use xiaomishop with EU direct otherwise their prices are higher than usual and you'd be risking higher custom costs too.

Yeah I thought so too; was going to go with Ebay until I saw their EU direct thingy they got going on. Went with that. Dont mind a little extra for a no-nonsense service.

Went ahead and got the Mi3. I'm all giddy waiting for it, already know I made the right choice :D Thanks for the reply.

Thats the one I want, theres a 2nd version too! Arghh money lol.

Look what I found on ebay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-ASUS-PadFone-S-PF500KL-9-Pad-5-16GB-4G-LTE-Android-Phone-Black-Free-Ship-/380947913326?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item58b243da6e

You can also get the phone on its own for only 280 euro http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-ASUS-PadFone-S-PF500KL-5-Smart-phone-16GB-4G-LTE-Android-OS-Black-Free-Ship-/380947892116?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item58b2438794

Actually very good price for snapdragon 801, android 4.4, 2gb/16gb and micro sd, full lte support in Ireland

New banger is my next purchase so unless it comes with a Asus in fooked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The lips

Is MIui v6 an OTA download?

Has anyone upgraded yet?

The lips wrote: »
    Is MIui v6 an OTA download?

Has anyone upgraded yet?

Don't think it's out yet as they're looking for testers still

Lenovo Vibe z2 pro

6" 1440 x 2560
    3gb/32gb
    LTE
    2.5ghz snapdragon 801
    16mp camera
    4000mah battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmvrHgFHdk
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_vibe_z2_pro-6396.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow^

How much will the final price be though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement