Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Barr wrote: »
    How did you get the $20 coupon ?

Playing some games on their site a few days ago. They also have $20 discount for any order over $200 today that gets automatically applied at checkout. They might be all gone now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have just read that Cnet Xiaomi Note review. One of the comments is that you can't move apps to the sd card. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Discodog wrote: »
    I have just read that Cnet Xiaomi Note review. One of the comments is that you can't move apps to the sd card. Does anyone know if this is true ?

I think its true, most phones don't have this option. Could be added in miui v6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Root it and you'll be able to move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

spix wrote: »
    I think its true, most phones don't have this option. Could be added in miui v6

Out of the 8gb internal memory how much is allocated to apps ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

looks like xiaomshop arent shipping any phones till the 25th ...just when i was going to buy:(

has anyone got the elephone p8 or p2000? whats your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

looks like xiaomshop arent shipping any phones till the 25th ...just when i was going to buy:(

Did xiaomishop tell you that? 😢

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any suggestions for a decent android smartphone for the wife?
    Her trusty HTC radar screen broke today after a fall, what a great phone, its been bomb proof up to now.
    I was thinking the moto G but she is looking for a decent camera so that leaves the usual suspects but she isnt willing to pay the asking price hence i thought about these chinese android phones, i havent read through much of the thread apart from the OP but would appreciate suggestions, thanks.

Dcully wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a decent android smartphone for the wife?
    Her trusty HTC radar screen broke today after a fall, what a great phone, its been bomb proof up to now.
    I was thinking the moto G but she is looking for a decent camera so that leaves the usual suspects but she isnt willing to pay the asking price hence i thought about these chinese android phones, i havent read through much of the thread apart from the OP but would appreciate suggestions, thanks.

What's your budget? Anything else apart from camera (esp. screen size) a big factor?

corwill wrote: »
    What's your budget? Anything else apart from camera (esp. screen size) a big factor?

€200 decent camera but "nothing amazing" [her words] :) and unlocked as shes on vodafone contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

quick question, Nexus 5 is at 350 EUR, Oneplus one is priced at the same, on top of that the Moto G LTE is priced at around 150 EUR, with all these phones you get a warranty and I am quite sure that from a safe and healthy point of view there is less chance to have a fire in the house from these phones rather than the Chinese unbranded phones, so the question is why should I go for a Chinese unbranded phone rather than one of the three that I mentioned above if the price difference isn't massive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

has anyone got the elephone p8 ?

Only just ordered a p8 today from etotalk. 170E all done.

€200 decent camera but "nothing amazing" [her words] :) and unlocked as shes on vodafone contract.

Sreen size? That htc is pretty small and most phones people will recommend will likely be 5". Does she want a compact phone or would a 5" screen be alright?

Jiayu G4S has a 13mp camera, which one or two on here have sang the praises of. Very highly regarded, €146.29+P&P(&taxes) on etotalk, http://www.etotalk.com/jiayu-g4s-octa-core_p4739.html, no doubt cheaper elsewhere. Aside from the camera, has a big battery, 2gb of RAM, and a fairly speedy processor.

Jiayu G4S has a 13mp camera, which one or two on here have sang the praises of. Very highly regarded, €146.29+P&P(&taxes) on etotalk, http://www.etotalk.com/jiayu-g4s-octa-core_p4739.html, no doubt cheaper elsewhere. Aside from the camera, has a big battery, 2gb of RAM, and a fairly speedy processor.

That looks a bargain alright, and thoughts on the seller?

@ spix yeah she likes my HTC One size so something bigger than the radar would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This thread moves fast...has no one anything better to be doing :)

Ok for an update...Ive bit the bullet.

I went for the Mi3 from xiaomiworld.com since The Lips had a good experience with them. €235 + €36 dhl from europe. It comes with a screen protector and a case.

Xiaomishop.it was dearer and a lot of their phones are now out of stock.
    The 25th August blurb on their site may be relating to a promo that they are doing on that date rather the not shipping till then. Chinese don't always translate effectively into English :)

@ spix yeah she likes my HTC One size so something bigger than the radar would be nice.

Maybe this?

Lenovo s850

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-5-inch-Lenovo-S850-3G-Smartphone-MTK6582-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-IPS-Screen-16GB/1897472717.html

Pros
    Should have very decent cameras,13mp back 5mp front. Has true 16gb internal storage unlike most other phones in this price range that limit apps to around 2-4gb. Latest android version. Gorilla glass back + front. 3 colour options.

Cons
    No backlit keys, average battery life.

The 25th August blurb on their site may be relating to a promo that they are doing on that date rather the not shipping till then. Chinese don't always translate effectively into English :)

Ah Tatranska, what are you trying to do to me?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

From xiaomishop:
    Orders made after August 12, shipment will be handled since around August 20, 2014.
    Pre-order now get free gifts: Flip Leather Case + Screen Protector + Touch Pen

Also, I know this is a thread for phones but the MiPad gets a damn fine write up on Eurogamer:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xiaomi-mipad-review

fixxxer wrote: »
    Also, I know this is a thread for phones but the MiPad gets a damn fine write up on Eurogamer:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xiaomi-mipad-review

If I have a good experience with the Mi3, the Mi Pad will be the next gadget on my list, then I'll flog my Tab 3 8.0. It looks like a savage piece kit for the price.

• Advertisement

Unlike spix, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to aliexpress, but if, as spix recommends, you do your homework on there for a reputable seller, you should be alright. Otherwise, I'd go with etotalk; you'll find bad reviews online for practically all of the major resellers, but they seem to be a bit less sketchy than most of their competitors.

Unlike spix, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to aliexpress, but if, as spix recommends, you do your homework on there for a reputable seller, you should be alright. Otherwise, I'd go with etotalk; you'll find bad reviews online for practically all of the major resellers, but they seem to be a bit less sketchy than most of their competitors.

What puts me off etotalk is how they try to charge you for worthless extras and make you click like 50 boxes to unbuy them. Doesn't give me much confidence in them being helpful if a problem arises as they seem to want to squeeze every penny out of you :)

There's plenty of 100% safe sellers on aliexpress, one linked above has 88,000 feedback mostly positive.

What puts me off etotalk is how they try to charge you for worthless extras and make you click like 50 boxes to unbuy them. Doesn't give me much confidence in them being helpful if a problem arises as they seem to want to squeeze every penny out of you :)

Apparently they really push their ROM as well, I've read at least one story online (might even have been on here) complaining that they were basically badgered into getting just to get them to progress the order to shipping, which is awful nonsense. I'd only be interested in that ROM for some of the more fringe manufacturers.

But unticking a few boxes isn't exactly the Bataan death march, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Any update on the Oneplus one spix.

Any update on the Oneplus one spix.

Still says payment being verified (normal for aliexpress) can take 24hr to verify. Honestly though I don't think there's any chance the seller will honor it especially as there's been hundreds of orders. From what I saw it looked like a listing mistake as the phone on its own was out of stock, just ones with the extras were in stock.

Still says payment being verified (normal for aliexpress) can take 24hr to verify. Honestly though I don't think there's any chance the seller will honor it especially as there's been hundreds of orders. From what I saw it looked like a listing mistake as the phone on its own was out of stock, just ones with the extras were in stock.

When is the sale, I get paid on Friday :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

alwald wrote: »
    I am quite sure that from a safe and healthy point of view there is less chance to have a fire in the house from these phones rather than the Chinese unbranded phones, so the question is why should I go for a Chinese unbranded phone rather than one of the three that I mentioned above if the price difference isn't massive?

alwald, please take this in the spirit it is intended, but coming on here and spouting that load of B0llox, you will get no where. :rolleyes:

If you go with the s850, make sure to select the Lenovo power option. It will bring the order above $199 and you then get a $20 discount back to $179. Basically you get a free 10000mah power bank http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Lenovo-Power-Bank-for-all-phones-Tablet-PC-Dual-USB-output-10400mAh/1875902058.html

If you go with the s850, make sure to select the Lenovo power option. It will bring the order above $199 and you then get a $20 discount back to $179. Basically you get a free 10000mah power bank http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Lenovo-Power-Bank-for-all-phones-Tablet-PC-Dual-USB-output-10400mAh/1875902058.html

Im 100% sure you work in sales.....or for Aliexpress :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

MidlandsM wrote: »
    alwald, please take this in the spirit it is intended, but coming on here and spouting that load of B0llox, you will get no where. :rolleyes:

I will try my best MidlandsM to take it in a good spirit, how is it a load of b0llox? I can post several links but I didn't want to in order to not look like if I am only polluting this thread, if you look at my recent few posts in other threads you will notice that I am in the hunt for a new phone and I plan to move from an IOS to an android hence why I posted here.........and BTW my question was genuine and honest 100%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement