Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I bit the bullet and ordered a lenovo A820 from mixieshop.
    I got it flashed and a 32gb card for 160€
    The phone was €122.

It came in 20 cheaper than merimobiles with dhl shipping.

If I dont like it I'll blame tallaghtmick :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

I got it flashed...

Excuse my ignorance - does this mean it was flashed to stock Android?

p.s. doesn't look like there's a camera on the front, but one of the pics seems to show one - can one of ye verify if there is a front camera or not? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

redt0m wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance - does this mean it was flashed to stock Android?

p.s. doesn't look like there's a camera on the front, but one of the pics seems to show one - can one of ye verify if there is a front camera or not? Cheers

These are the definitions from the site:
    Original The Intact,With The Official ROM,According Factory Configuration. Rooted Perfect Rooted,Delete All Chinese APP,Plug Google 'Play Store'. Reflashed Reflash Custom ROM, Perfect Rooted,Delete All Chinese APP,Plug Google 'Play Store'.Already Tested,N0 Bug.Plug Multi Language...

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

bought a jiayu g3 a few months and overall I am delighted with it, think its a great phone. Though I have ha one problem with it is that my screen in the top left hand corner has run so to speak. If permanently black in this corner. I can upload pics to explain show it. I was wondering I am I better off returning the phone to Mixieshop or would a local phone repair shop be able to fix it instead as I dont have to wait a month without the phone if I can help it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/19/jiayu-g4-turbo-mt6589t/

JiaYu have been speaking out about a few things this weekend, namely the delay in launch of the G4, and if their will be a 1.5Ghz Turbo JiaYu G4 launched.

The last time we spoke to our sources at JiaYu about the possibility of an updated 1.5Ghx MT6589T JiaYu G4 Turbo launching the answer was a very typical ‘maybe’, maybe in this case meaning YES!

JiaYu have confirmed that they are in fact developing and debugging a version of the G4 with the updated processor as we speak, and have suggested that the more powerful version of the phone will also be able in either 1GB ‘Youth’ and 2GB Advances options.

Announcing that they are working on the JiaYu G4 Turbo even before the standard version of the phone has launched strikes us a rather typical, and not very well informed JiaYu marketing move! Customers are now likely tempted to wait for the faster model rather than buy the 1.2Ghz MT6589 G4, however in my opinion I suggest getting the standard G4 when it launches and then wait for the JiaYu G6 if you really want a Turbo phone.
    The JiaYu G6 has also been revealed to be running the MT6589T CPU, but will also pack a larger 5.7-inch display with full 1080 resolution.

So, back to the current JiaYu G4 model? When will JiaYu launch the 1.2Ghz MT6589 G4? Well this all depends on the government, as JiaYu are now waiting to receive the official ‘green’ light from the Ministry of Communication before they can begin large-scale manufacture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

I would be worried about these Jiayu phones, they seem to be really getting ahead of themselves.

There is no advanced version of the G4 out yet, there are no consumer G4 out at all. There is no upgrade G3 which I didnt understand in the first place.

Already talking of new phones before finished the one their on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I would be worried about these Jiayu phones, they seem to be really getting ahead of themselves.
    While I'd never believe pre-release hype (and that includes Samsung and Apple), there's no need to be worried whatsoever about Jiayu phones. Just about everyone here has nothing but praise for them.
    TBH they seem to keep things simple and add an extra mm to their phones if it means keeping the quality and reliability high while keeping the costs down. No complaints from me about my Jiayu.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Are Jiayu generally considered the best chinese cheap phones or are there other?

There seems to be a ton of phones on mixeshop. What make Jiayu so special? :)

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    While I'd never believe pre-release hype (and that includes Samsung and Apple), there's no need to be worried whatsoever about Jiayu phones. Just about everyone here has nothing but praise for them.
    TBH they seem to keep things simple and add an extra mm to their phones if it means keeping the quality and reliability high while keeping the costs down. No complaints from me about my Jiayu.

I dont doubt the current phones quality but I think they seem to be running away with themselves a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

At long last I've received notice that the phone has been delivered to Dublin, albeit with customs.

I was instructed to email them my invoice and official parcel number, which I have done already.

Does anyone know when they might get back to me in relation to having it picked up from the postman (along with a potential fee)?

• Advertisement

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/21/jiayu-g4-network-license/

JiaYu’s flagship MTK JiaYu G4 has now received it’s Network License here in China! All we are waiting for now is the final release date!
    The long long wait for the release of the JiaYu G4 has just moved one step closer to ending! JiaYu have just posted on their forum that the JiaYu G4 has received it’s Network License meaning that the phone can be officially sold on the Chinese mainland.
    The Network License is the final piece of the puzzle which JiaYu have been waiting for before beginning full production of the G4.
    This is great news, but what would be even better now is a firm release date for the phone. Some sources are saying it could be as early as this week while others are talking about the end of the month!

Also

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/21/jiayu-g4-and-quad-core-g3-full-production-to-begin-at-the-end-of-may/
    Still no launch date, but after receiving their network license JiaYu are gearing up for the first full production runs of both the JiaYu G4 and quad-core G3!
    After posting news that JiaYu have officially been given the go ahead by Chinese authorities to sell the JiaYu G4, JiaYu have contacted us with more details. The current plan is to have both the JiaYu G4 Youth (3000mAh version) and quad-core JiaYu G3 in production by the end of May and a launch date (for the Chinese market) early June.
    While speaking to JiaYu we asked if we could expect the G4 and G3 quad-core available from international distributors around a similar time but it is looking doubtful! That said there will likely be a few China based online resellers who will have the G4 and G3 quad-core available soon after launch.
    As for the new G3, it will be marketed as the JiaYu G3S and will come with the same 4.5-inch 720p display, 8 mega-pixel rear camera, 1GB RAM etc as last years dual-core MT6577 model but with the more powerful quad-core MT6589 chip

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭HomeBoyDeluxe

So after the G3 GSM started acting up again (after the reset), I went back to an old Nokia, a few days later that was rejecting the sim card, so I went into 02 got a new sim card and all my problems are over!! :D

I had a good look at the old sim card, and noticed that the lines between the sim chip are very thin, I think if you put your sim in and out of a reader very often, the sim reader pins grind into the chip and "short the tracks" on the chip. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭HomeBoyDeluxe

Does anyone know if Jiayu will release an update for Android? Or will the phone forever be using version 4.0.4 unless a root is performed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Also from Gizchina from the author of the blog in a comment on the site :
    Andi
    MAY 20, 2013 AT 6:44 AM . PERMALINK
    I have no idea how they are selling it (legally) but it turns out they are, only found out about an hour ago myself. Got an email from a reader named Joe saying he visited the JiaYu shop in Zhengzhou and they had G4′s on sale at 1499 Yuan. Checked with JiaYu and they confirm that this is true. It’s like getting blood from a stone with them sometimes….

Its all just sounding a little ridiculous now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Does anyone know if Jiayu will release an update for Android? Or will the phone forever be using version 4.0.4 unless a root is performed?
    For which phone? needrom had the 4.1 update for my Jiayu G2 and that was easy enough to install with the MTK installer and some fiddling with taking the battery out.

My Lenovo got despatched this morning.
    Might be forced to give it to the wife if the g4 launches. She needs a new phone.(I've managed to convince myself of that fact:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just started looking at Jiayu phones. Any general feelings if they're better/worse thatn lenovo A820?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Wish I hadn't been so cheap and gone with the airmail option from mixeshop. Despatched on the 7th still not here.

Wish I hadn't been so cheap and gone with the airmail option from mixeshop. Despatched on the 7th still not here.

Mine left Hong Kong by plane at 4 am en route to Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same thing happened to me, was waiting weeks.
    dinneenp wrote: »
    Just started looking at Jiayu phones. Any general feelings if they're better/worse thatn lenovo A820?
    Might be worth waiting to see what happens with the G4 at this stage.

The Jiayu G3S goes on sale the 25th of May.

Link Jiayu Store

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rochey18 wrote: »
    The Jiayu G3S goes on sale the 25th of May.

Link Jiayu Store
    None of those dates are confirmed or anwhere near reliable and the Jiayu Store is nothing to do with the Jiayu phone manufacturer, not to be trusted.

Thargor wrote: »
    None of those dates are confirmed or anwhere near reliable and the Jiayu Store is nothing to do with the Jiayu phone manufacturer, not to be trusted.

Well the story is on Gizchina, they have confirmed with sellers that there stock of the G3S is on the way. So looks pretty good so far.

If the G3S is around $180 on aliexpress I'll probably get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Be careful with the Lenovo lads, dropped mine on carpet yesterday and a crack appeared :( hopefully the Chinese lads in the square can sort a new screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hey guys any thoughts on the umi x2?
    Where to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Aliexpress is just like a chinese Ebay so make sure you order from someone with good rep. No the G4 hasn't been released and the release date is constantly being pushed back so I wouldn't pre order it.

The Umi X2 is a great phone, here's a link.

• Advertisement

Be careful with the Lenovo lads, dropped mine on carpet yesterday and a crack appeared :( hopefully the Chinese lads in the square can sort a new screen.

Mine has arrived in Germany this evening.

Disappointed it broke so easy.

Might pass it to the wife when the g4 comes online. she looks after her phones better than me:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement