Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

When did you order?

Shortly after midnight on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Reseller Xiaomiworld told to cease trade of Xiaomi phones!

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/08/20/reseller-xiaomiworld-told-cease-trade-xiaomi-phones/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/08/20/reseller-xiaomiworld-told-cease-trade-xiaomi-phones/

And Xiaomishop is linked to Xiaomiworld :eek:

They must have read this thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Discodog wrote: »
    The Moto is made by Motorola - Chinese.
    The Oneplusone is - Chinese.
    The Nexus is probably - Chinese.

If you are spending €150 there are Chinese phones that are way better than the Moto G.

I would strongly argue against the above. Quality standards etc for selling products domestically in China are very loose and unrestricted. There is very little comeback of a faulty product is received from them (1+1 with yellow screen for example). They knew this and ship faulty product. A lot of us went bother returning it because high transport cost and long delivery time. It seems the solution here is to go and get another phone from China...

The companies that do officially sell here have to pass strict European standards and provide guarantees etc... I could go on and even though I know all of this out still doesn't stop me from looking for the next best thing and for as cheap as possible...

(Continues mashing f5 on dhl site, sobbing softly...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

corwill wrote:

You and me both Brother ;_;

My order is showing as shipped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

corwill wrote: »

I don't think it will affect ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Although, the news article says Xiaomi asked them not to sell, not legally barred then. maybe there's hope in the details.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I don't think it will affect ye.

Yeah, I know, just kidding around.

I'll still be a lot happier when dhl's website recognises the tracking number, though.

• Advertisement

just got my tracking number which is showing up on the dhl site

joking...it will take a few hours for the parcel to arrive at the dhl depot and be scanned into their system
    If experience is anything to go by, the label was probably put on in the warehouse and the number assigned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

They probably want a cut of the profits. Xiaomiworld are selling the 16gb mi4 for $459 which costs $320 from xiaomi.

joking...it will take a few hours for the parcel to arrive at the dhl depot and be scanned into their system
    If experience is anything to go by, the label was probably put on in the warehouse and the number assigned there.

Yeah, I expect there's a daily pick up from their warehouse. No point in expecting anything to show with dhl until tonight or tomorrow morning.

(Continues mashing f5, like a bold child who won't go to bed on Xmas eve...)

Yeah, I expect there's a daily pick up from their warehouse. No point in expecting anything to show with dhl until tonight or tomorrow morning.

(Continues mashing f5, like a bold child who won't go to bed on Xmas eve...)

I got notification from dhl. Showing up in trieste. Wonder how quickly I'll get it.

I got notification from dhl. Showing up in trieste. Wonder how quickly I'll get it.

Just got the same email. Not a moment too soon, my S3's battery is about to kark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

T-Bird wrote: »
    I would strongly argue against the above. Quality standards etc for selling products domestically in China are very loose and unrestricted. There is very little comeback of a faulty product is received from them (1+1 with yellow screen for example). They knew this and ship faulty product. A lot of us went bother returning it because high transport cost and long delivery time. It seems the solution here is to go and get another phone from China...

The companies that do officially sell here have to pass strict European standards and provide guarantees etc... I could go on and even though I know all of this out still doesn't stop me from looking for the next best thing and for as cheap as possible...

You can't argue with my post. It's 100% factual. Tell me what happened when iPhones refused to receive a signal ? There are countless examples of warranties not being worth the paper that they are written on.

Yes there can be problems with any phone. But at least the Chinese phone offer way more for less cost. Brands like Xiaomi have become huge throughout the whole of Asia & India. They may seem "foreign" to our sheltered eyes but, in reality, they are huge global brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that Gizchina are misunderstanding the situation. I suspect that Xiaomi object to companies using their name & copyright in their business names & logos. It's understandable because the customer can assume that they are dealing with the manufacturer rather than a reseller.

Discodog wrote: »
    You can't argue with my post. It's 100% factual. Tell me what happened when iPhones refused to receive a signal ? There are countless examples of warranties not being worth the paper that they are written on.

I'll add Samsung's "upgrade" of Touchwiz to Android 4.3 on the S3 to that list, ruined the phone, and neither they nor Vodafone were one bit of help about it. Forced me to put Cyanongenmod on it, to render it usable again, which, of course, voided the warranty, a warranty that was worthless in any event when they ruined my phone with their "upgrade".

You'd swear the likes of Xiaomi were shipping nail-bombs concealed in their devices.

I'll add Samsung's "upgrade" of Touchwiz to Android 4.3 on the S3 to that list, ruined the phone, and neither they nor Vodafone were one bit of help about it. Forced me to put Cyanongenmod on it, to render it usable again, which, of course, voided the warranty, a warranty that was worthless in any event when they ruined my phone with their "upgrade".

You'd swear the likes of Xiaomi were shipping nail-bombs concealed in their devices.
    You have me worried now. Will I get a phone or something else ?:eek:
    Phones currently sitting in venice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

T-Bird wrote: »

I totally agree with you, warranty would be a big issue here if anything goes wrong with the phone, pity as the phones are quite cheap in comparison with the overall market.
    also batteries and chargers are the main cause for faulty items and for fire hazards based on different articles that I looked at recently.

• Advertisement

alwald wrote: »
    also batteries and chargers are the main cause for faulty items and for fire hazards based on different articles that I looked at recently.

You cited the 1+1 in support of your argument; take a trip over to the 1+1 thread, where they're whinging about the state of the crappy chargers they've been getting.

Can't wait to see all of these articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

You cited the 1+1 in support of your argument; take a trip over to the 1+1 thread, where they're whinging about the state of the crappy chargers they've been getting.

Can't wait to see all of these articles.

Fair play about the 1+1, I am aware about several issues on it so I was wrong about that point, will post links about batteries and chargers later but feel free to google it and see for yourself :).

I am just stating my opinion here, I would love one of these Chinese phones for under 200 EUR, I am just a bit skeptical that's all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where are these articles you're reading?

out of over a thousand people from multiple forums at this stage, i haven't ever seen anyone mention their phone starting a fire before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Mates Oneplus one is up for sale, he hasnt got the patience to fix a tiny yellow corner, its a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Does the mi3 come with a sim card adapter seeing as it uses a full size sim?

I thought this was a thread about peoples experiences with chinese phones and to provide help and advice to those wanting to buy one.

I'm sure people know the risks and thought it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I thought this was a thread about peoples experiences with chinese phones and to provide help and advice to those wanting to buy one.

I'm sure people know the risks and thought it was worth it.

The Moto G brigade just love to think they have the best thing since sliced bread.

spix wrote: »
    Does the mi3 come with a sim card adapter seeing as it uses a full size sim?

Don't know, but they gave me one for free in Vodafone on Grafton St when I enquired after an old-skool large sim yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Don't know, but they gave me one for free in Vodafone on Grafton St when I enquired after an old-skool large sim yesterday evening.

I must call into emobile to pick one up in the morning for when my nice shiny Chinese fire risk,buggy phone arrives tomorrow :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement