Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Getting my elephone p8 tomorrow I presume. It arrived in cork at 9 this morning for processing. Only went through at 7 this evening. Slow from customs who also too €30 off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Getting my elephone p8 tomorrow I presume. It arrived in cork at 9 this morning for processing. Only went through at 7 this evening. Slow from customs who also too €30 off me.

what did the phone cost you ? who did you get it from?
    In fairness 30 isnt bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

what did the phone cost you ? who did you get it from?
    In fairness 30 isnt bad.

Phone cost €154 and €19 for DHL. So that's €203. Bit costly but I was willing to pay for the speed. Only ordered on Saturday from Chinavasion. They marked down the price which probably helped with customs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Phone cost €154 and €19 for DHL. So that's €203. Bit costly but I was willing to pay for the speed. Only ordered on Saturday from Chinavasion. They marked down the price which probably helped with customs

really interested in your thoughts on this phone, I've got it on order and on way from china so please, spill the beans when you can!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I must call into emobile to pick one up in the morning for when my nice shiny Chinese fire risk,buggy phone arrives tomorrow :D

Whatever you do, don't put the adapter in the mi3 without a sim in it. So many horror stories on the xiaomi forums where people did this and ripped the contact pins off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

spix wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't put the adapter in the mi3 without a sim in it. So many horror stories on the xiaomi forums where people did this and ripped the contact pins off.

Well, that's tonight's nightmare sorted, so.

spix wrote: »

surely getting a full sized sim does away with the need of an adapter!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Was looking at the Elephone p8 which is working out about 150EUR including shipping by registered airmail which i imagine would take numerous weeks to arrive. Duty costs on top which is an unknown

Then i was thinking about the Mi3 16GB from EU warehouse with no duty at about 270EUR all in.

Then my mind wanders to the Oneplus One with a huge 64GB rom and crazy specs camera for 360Eur direct from manufacturer once i can get invite.

The more i think about it the better choice is probably just straight to the oneplus one.

I want a good camera, gps capabilities and as littel lag as possible.

So elephone P8 €203, Mi3 €270, Oneplus One €360

I think i would go to the Mi3 for the price difference, but then looking at the Oneplus One 16GB v 64GB, 4g v 3g for an extra €90 is probably worth it.

Decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jodaw wrote: »
    So elephone P8 €203, Mi3 €270, Oneplus One €360

I think i would go to the Mi3 for the price difference, but then looking at the Oneplus One 16GB v 64GB, 4g v 3g for an extra €90 is probably worth it.

Decisions

The Oneplusone is almost double the cost of the P8 & Xiaomi Note. It's a balance between what you can afford & the importance of ultra performance. Personally I don't think that I would notice the difference in everyday use.

Phone manufacturers have to keep upping the specs to make us buy. In reality we have probably reached the limit of what we actually need which is why the likes of Apple & Samsung are struggling to come up with something new & useful.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Phone manufacturers have to keep upping the specs to make us buy. In reality we have probably reached the limit of what we actually need which is why the likes of Apple & Samsung are struggling to come up with something new & useful.

With 3gb RAM, UHD screens the size of a house, and 2.5ghz processors, there's nowhere non-gimmicky left to go. Samsung's heart rate monitor had me laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

eamonnq wrote: »

Brilliant. I nearly jumped on the Oneplusone bandwagon & then I thought of all those sad people who queue up outside Apple shops. Unless you are seriously gaming you won't notice the difference between a 2.25 or 2.5 processor or 2 & 3 gb of ram.

The advantage of Chinese phones is that you get get a perfectly adequate spec for a much lower price.

The Oneplusone is almost double the cost of the P8 & Xiaomi Note. It's a balance between what you can afford & the importance of ultra performance. Personally I don't think that I would notice the difference in everyday use.

The good camera is what i want more than anything. I could go out and buy another dslr or bridge camera but i want a good camera with me when i need it.

I dont even have a camera phone at the moment but looking at some photos of the little man taken on a inferior camera phone i know that 20 years from now i will be wishing i was not such a tightwad and bought the best quality possible.

Pittance really for capturing memories in vivid detail. I figure phone cameras are now becoming so advanced the basic cameras are no use anymore.

The waiting time for a 1+ invite is possibly months.
    I ordered my mi3 on Tuesday and is out for delivery today from an EU warehouse

I nearly jumped on the Oneplusone bandwagon & then I thought of all those sad people who queue up outside Apple shops.

Same here. I couldn't stomach the idea of that whole invite clusterf%&£. Some of the stunts they've pulled are uni-freshers-on-rag-week dumb, and for all the drawn out fanfare, by the time their phone started trickling out, there were similarly specced and priced competing options.

The good camera is what i want more than anything.

Have a look at the Vivo Xshot, same Oppo-connected stable as 1+1, more expensive, but the camera is meant to be whopper.

The Mi4's snapper is meant to be pretty nice as well.

corwill wrote: »
    Have a look at the Vivo Xshot, same Oppo-connected stable as 1+1, more expensive, but the camera is meant to be whopper.

The Mi4's snapper is meant to be pretty nice as well.

I'll have a look at the vivo. One thing i dont want is the crazy nokia 41mp because of the delay in processing photos. So i guess it is a balance of good quality, fast and the possibilty of decent low light shots.

Mi4 suffers the same problems as oneplus that it is not readily available. I cannot see myself waiting if i cannot get an invite soon enough.

I guess the note has a decent camera and also the mi3 is very nice.

Mi4 suffers the same problems as oneplus that it is not readily available. I cannot see myself waiting if i cannot get an invite soon enough.

I guess the note has a decent camera and also the mi3 is very nice.

Someone farther up the thread ordered a Mi4 from xiaomishop.com last week, think they're saying they'll start shipping on the 25th, so maybe keep on eye on this thread. I ordered my Mi3 from them at midnight on Monday, and it's apparently in a van on it's way to my house right now.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Mi3's shooter. Although I can't take a decent picture to save my life.

Someone farther up the thread ordered a Mi4 from xiaomishop.com last week, think they're saying they'll start shipping on the 25th, so maybe keep on eye on this thread. I ordered my Mi3 from them at midnight on Monday, and it's apparently in a van on it's way to my house right now.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Mi3's shooter. Although I can't take a decent picture to save my life.

Perfect. Post a review once you get it. What was the price and is it 16GB model?

• Advertisement

Perfect. Post a review once you get it. What was the price and is it 16GB model?

I got the 16gb and ordered tuesday with delivery today.
    Heres the link to the phone €235 + 36.36 EU warehouse delivery by dhl.
    you should also order an extra tempered glass screen protector

I went for the 64gb at €296.39, same delivery option as tatranska. I'll be boring everyone to tears on here shortly about it.

you should also order an extra tempered glass screen protector

I decided against getting one of these, haven't bothered with screen protectors of any description the last couple of years, trusting to gorilla glass, and I've gotten away with it so far. I'd be interested to hear how you find the tempered glass one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The good camera is what i want more than anything. I

Another one to consider.

http://www.mixeshop.com/thl-t100s-mtk6592-octa-core-17ghz-50inch-ips-fhd-gorilla-glass-screen-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-130mp-camera-nfc-otg-3g-gps-smartphone_p3094.html

The camera uses the Sony sensor.

Based on the EVIDENCE here: http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/88742aca

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Just got confirmation that my order is delayed until next week. I contacted them after your post, I don't think they were going to let me know. They say that the 1S is out of stock in Germany but they can ship from another warehouse for 4 euro extra.

They have now kindly agreed to ship it from their EU warehouse.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    They have now kindly agreed to ship it from their EU warehouse.

At original delivery price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

At original delivery price?

Yes. It was only 4 Euro difference, but what pi$$ed me off was it was available to ship from the German warehouse even though they had no stock.

My mi3 arrived and is on charge upstairs. It came with a 2 pin plug. I'll report back later when I get to play with it.
    Super fast delivery. Only ordered on Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Can't decide between the Mi3 and Redmi :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

My Mi4 has been updated to shipped and I have a tracking number from DHL :)
    It seems to be coming from China, so lets see if customs intervene. I would assume it should be with me by monday at the latest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement