Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Goodluck with customs. I'd say you'll be paying a fair bit on top of what you've paid. DHL is almost always caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

RossieMan wrote: »
    Goodluck with customs. I'd say you'll be paying a fair bit on top of what you've paid. DHL is almost always caught.

You're always in with a cheerful comment :) May or may not we'll see how it goes. I've ordered a fair bit of tech from out of Europe. Catch rate is about 50/50 at this stage. I can cope with those odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

fixxxer wrote: »
    You're always in with a cheerful comment :) May or may not we'll see how it goes. I've ordered a fair bit of tech from out of Europe. Catch rate is about 50/50 at this stage. I can cope with those odds.

If half the stuff you ordered was sent DHL, I would wager that is your 50/50 explained !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

fixxxer wrote: »
    My Mi4 has been updated to shipped and I have a tracking number from DHL :)
    It seems to be coming from China, so lets see if customs intervene. I would assume it should be with me by monday at the latest.

The way that all the major logistics companies (DHL, FedEx, UPS) operate means that you will always have to pay import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

OK got my elephone p8. Hoping someone can help. So I put in my Three Sim and after about 30 seconds it says incompatible handset!!! No coverage then. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Can't decide between the Mi3 and Redmi :(

1s or Note?

Thing that bugs me a little about the mi3 is the integrated battery and no expansion. I mean what happens when the battery eventually goes? Up the creek without a paddle?

Also the battery may be a issue if you want to sell it on a upgrade in a year or two.

Note seems like a nice handset and some reviews i have seen have been happy with the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

accap1f8 wrote: »
    OK got my elephone p8. Hoping someone can help. So I put in my Three Sim and after about 30 seconds it says incompatible handset!!! No coverage then. Any ideas?

Did you try it in the other sim slot?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Did you try it in the other sim slot?

The other is a micro Sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jodaw wrote: »
    1s or Note?

Thing that bugs me a little about the mi3 is the integrated battery and no expansion. I mean what happens when the battery eventually goes? Up the creek without a paddle?

Also the battery may be a issue if you want to sell it on a upgrade in a year or two.

Note seems like a nice handset and some reviews i have seen have been happy with the camera.

I agree. Considering the price difference, bigger screen etc I think that the Note is the better buy. It's only downside seems to be that it's a bit bulky.

The other is a micro Sim.

Some phones only have 3g via one of the two sims. See if you can alter the sim priority in the settings. Can you find a friend who has a Three micro sim ?

Just checked & found this:

Dual SIM, dual active, One Party Conversation
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2
    3G: WCDMA 850/2100 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2
    GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA+ (7.2 Mbps)

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Some phones only have 3g via one of the two sims. See if you can alter the sim priority in the settings. Can you find a friend who has a Three micro sim ?

Just checked & found this:

Dual SIM, dual active, One Party Conversation
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2
    3G: WCDMA 850/2100 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2
    GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA+ (7.2 Mbps)

So what do this mean? A micro Sim will possibly work is it? Don't know anyone with a micro three Sim so I'll may have to wait until the weekend to get one. Sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Sounds like a sim issue rather than the phone if both slots support 2100mhz 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got my Mi3 set up.
    Its a really nice phone. 5" is a good size screen, glad I didnt go for the Note at 5.5", Its wouldnt have fit in my hand.

The UI is smooth and quick and is in developer mode. Rooting is just a case of going into the security settings and turning it on.

There are a load of security features allowing you to set up security patterns on specific apps.

It comes with a case which is ok for now, a screen protector and 2 pin plugs.
    Altogether I'm very happy with it. Its easy to set up and easy to get around.

It has Mi Cloud but the CEO of Xiaomi recommends that non chinese users dont enable it as everything gets stored on their servers in china.

As i use it more I'll add some more feedback.

Mui 6 is available in beta but from what Ive seen it doesn't add much yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Accap, can you go to a three shop and get a new micro sim tomorrow?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Accap, can you go to a three shop and get a new micro sim tomorrow?

Don't think I can. It will have to be on Saturday or sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Don't think I can. It will have to be on Saturday or sunday

Otherwise, whats the p8 like?

Build quality?

Feel in the hand etc?

So what do this mean? A micro Sim will possibly work is it? Don't know anyone with a micro three Sim so I'll may have to wait until the weekend to get one. Sickened

I don't think that it's necessarily the sim. Either slot should work. Have you got the phone to search for available networks? I would start with the sim settings.

You could try the Elephone forum.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Otherwise, whats the p8 like?

Build quality?

Feel in the hand etc?

Well its absolutely massive. My hands are way too small for it. Did an antutu test and it got almost 26000.
    I'm not too mad about the touch screen. Swiping through items on Netflix and it kept selecting something even though I was swiping. The reactiveness just doesn't seem top quality. Watched a few minutes of a show and quality of that is unbelievable. This screen size will be ideal for watching or reading.

Well its absolutely massive. My hands are way too small for it. Did an antutu test and it got almost 26000.
    I'm not too mad about the touch screen. Swiping through items on Netflix and it kept selecting something even though I was swiping. The reactiveness just doesn't seem top quality. Watched a few minutes of a show and quality of that is unbelievable. This screen size will be ideal for watching or reading.

The review that I saw said that the screen wasn't sensitive enough. You should be able to adjust it in the Accessibility section of Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I got my Mi3 set up.
    Its a really nice phone. 5" is a good size screen, glad I didnt go for the Note at 5.5", Its wouldnt have fit in my hand.

The UI is smooth and quick and is in developer mode. Rooting is just a case of going into the security settings and turning it on.

There are a load of security features allowing you to set up security patterns on specific apps.

It comes with a case which is ok for now, a screen protector and 2 pin plugs.
    Altogether I'm very happy with it. Its easy to set up and easy to get around.

It has Mi Cloud but the CEO of Xiaomi recommends that non chinese users dont enable it as everything gets stored on their servers in china.

As i use it more I'll add some more feedback.

Mui 6 is available in beta but from what Ive seen it doesn't add much yet.

+1 from me to all that. Blown away by form, build quality, physically it's far nicer than I expected. Not mad about the flip cover included, but got two cases for about €7 in total, both quite nice. Screen is crisp and bright. Everything is buttery smooth so far.

I'm away to play with it and set it up, will be back with more thoughts on it over the next few days.

• Advertisement

The review that I saw said that the screen wasn't sensitive enough. You should be able to adjust it in the Accessibility section of Settings

Don't have any option in there. Not impressed by the touch screen at all. Scrolling slowly is poor as everything is jerking rather than moving smoothly. Its should be perfectly smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Discodog wrote:
    Dual SIM, dual active, One Party Conversation 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2 3G: WCDMA 850/2100 MHz Sim 1 and Sim 2 GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/HSDPA+ (7.2 Mbps)

I've seen a few dual sims in work and this was the case. One SIM was 3G the other not, and depending on the phone only one data connection could be used at a time. Very strange though that its not connecting to and network at all or seeing any.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't have any option in there. Not impressed by the touch screen at all. Scrolling slowly is poor as everything is jerking rather than moving smoothly. Its should be perfectly smooth
    Within certain apps or in general? Try installing APEX or NOVA launchers. Search Needrom and XDA Developers for better roms aswell.

Im taking photos with my Mi3 and they're not saving to the gallery.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Thargor wrote: »
    Within certain apps or in general? Try installing APEX or NOVA launchers. Search Needrom and XDA Developers for better roms aswell.

In general. Just not smooth. I'll try nova now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Im taking photos with my Mi3 and they're not saving to the gallery.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Maybe you have to save them from camera roll?

It looked very smooth on the YouTube review.

Maybe you have to save them from camera roll?

Can you explain ?

There is a window to the left of the photo button which shows the image just taken but when I press it nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Try a reboot aswell.

• Advertisement

It looked very smooth on the YouTube review.

Ya I know. It's just when it's slow moving. I'll get over that easily if I can get a Sim working. Got a 48 Sim to work. Very strange. Must get a mmicro Sim at the weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement