Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Would be nice if Jiayu started including MHL in their phones. There's no easy TV connection solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm guessing there would be a good chance of the umi x2 being destroyed by customs? As it looks similar to a samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hello.

Would anyone know how to get rid of the red lines under text messages?

I found this: http://www.modaco.com/topic/359590-jiayu-g3-rooted-permanent-recovery-ics-spell-check-fixed-jelly-bean-update/

But got as far as the "unchecking the mount" but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

du Maurier wrote: »
    Hello.

Would anyone know how to get rid of the red lines under text messages?

I found this: http://www.modaco.com/topic/359590-jiayu-g3-rooted-permanent-recovery-ics-spell-check-fixed-jelly-bean-update/

But got as far as the "unchecking the mount" but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

User Dictionary Manager allows you to added words to the user dictionary from a text file and this is a zip file containing a text file with over 70, 000 Engilsh words.

Install the app. Unzip contents of the zio file to your sd card. Run the app and choose brit-a-z.txt as the source. Takes a while to add all the words but works a charm.

User Dictionary Manager allows you to added words to the user dictionary from a text file and this is a zip file containing a text file with over 70, 000 Engilsh words.

Install the app. Unzip contents of the zio file to your sd card. Run the app and choose brit-a-z.txt as the source. Takes a while to add all the words but works a charm.

Thanks for the workaround. I'll give it a whizz later on and report back.

• Advertisement

I was also wondering where one might get a hard case for the G3. The one that came with the phone is a bit flimsy, plus it's brown.

DH Gate and other Chinese sites sell some hard cases but I'm not keen on waiting another 30 days for one or having it sent by DHL for 20 euro delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ask in the phone shops in that area around the aldi at the top of O Connells street if you're in Dublin but I dont think you're going to find anyone outside of China selling them.

Its fine without the case anyway, been fairly rough with mine at work for the last couple of months and there is'nt a scratch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My G3 arrived today. With that gorgeous brown rubber surround. Think I'll just be careful and try not to drop it.

Total smartphone virgin so I'm just faffing about with it for the moment. I'll try rooting and putting new ROM on it tonight. Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yuXdOjXQwGo) method still alright? Have there been some big improvements in other ROMS since and if so will they install in a similar manner? Is Android 4.2 going to turn up next week and I might as well wait for that?

Yeah, the cover is some creation! I think I'll just leave it without one.

It's a pretty formidable phone in terms of bulk, but it runs very well. I got one just for experimental reasons with Chinese handsets and I'm pretty happy so far.

The HTC One X I used to own isn't exactly streets ahead in performance at all which says a lot for this handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My Lenovo arrived today.
    it was despatched on Wednesday and arrived in Dublin this morning.

I got stung for €27 vat even thoug hit was value at $68.

I now need to get a full sized sim so canrt play with it today.

Nice phone at first glance.

Do we have a date on the Jiayu 4 ? :D

• Advertisement

This things driving me mad. Can't get the phone to show up on my computer as a storage device. Running Windows 7 64 bit. Installed 64 bit pDAnet. Thing installs. Puts the app onto the phone for the internet tethering fine. But won't show up on my computer/taskbar. I have on USB Debugging box ticked on the phone settings.

Have you turned USB storage on on the phone? You dont need an app to tether by the way, just turn USB tethering on in Android settings.

Any links on how to revert to ICS properly? I've tried many ROMs but unsuccessful.

Thargor wrote: »
    Have you turned USB storage on on the phone? You dont need an app to tether by the way, just turn USB tethering on in Android settings.

Cheers for that. Sign of my inexperience there.

Not arsed rooting and putting a new ROM on it really. Only one chinese app I can't get rid of. Does it make that much difference to the battery life?

I dont know, probably not, you can check, run the phone for a couple of days and then go into battery in the settings and it will list the things that drain the battery and how much they drain, see if it appears on the list. Just root it though, takes a minute and it will come in handy later when you get more experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lads, don't forget to enter the Umi X2 giveaway on GizChina!

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont know, probably not, you can check, run the phone for a couple of days and then go into battery in the settings and it will list the things that drain the battery and how much they drain, see if it appears on the list. Just root it though, takes a minute and it will come in handy later when you get more experienced.

Ah yeah I didn't mean the app I meant changing the ROM having an effect on battery life. Seems to last ages anyway not too fussed.

Yeah Im very happy with the battery life now aswell, using my phone as an mp3 player aswell on theXperia Play was nearly impossible it drained so fast but with the G3 I can have music going all the time and it doesnt seem to drain it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

God its taking ages for this G4 to become available!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

du Maurier wrote: »
    Any links on how to revert to ICS properly? I've tried many ROMs but unsuccessful.
    This is for original G3, need to extract and copy the update zip to SD card. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36140504/G3-20121129-082828%20for%20CWM%20pre-rooted%20with%20SuperSU.zip

I think this is for G3N, not sure though as I got earlier G3. Need to register on needrom to see download links.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    This is for original G3, need to extract and copy the update zip to SD card. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36140504/G3-20121129-082828%20for%20CWM%20pre-rooted%20with%20SuperSU.zip

I think this is for G3N, not sure though as I got earlier G3. Need to register on needrom to see download links.
    I managed to find an earlier restore so I'm back on ICS. I personally think this version suits the phone overall. No lag, runs everything seamlessly.

Just on the underlined red text - all I did to remove it was to untick the spelling correction! I neglected to actually try the simpler option, rather than jumping straight in on ROMS to correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Im betraying my beloved Lenovo :( co worker is selling a Galaxy S3 for 200 as he has the S4 now, was too good to turn down, anywho any boardsie want my Lenovo can have it for 70(ill be selling it for 100 online) but remember what I said earlier theres a very thin crack on the screen but you wouldnt even notice when the screen is on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Im betraying my beloved Lenovo :( co worker is selling a Galaxy S3 for 200 as he has the S4 now, was too good to turn down, anywho any boardsie want my Lenovo can have it for 70(ill be selling it for 100 online) but remember what I said earlier theres a very thin crack on the screen but you wouldnt even notice when the screen is on.

What's the battery like on it?

What's the battery like on it?

Depends on the usage, can get a day and a half normal usage or 2 days feck all usage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

I currently have a Jiayu G2 which I'm very happy with except for the camera & GPS issue.
    I was holding out for the G4 but seeing as the UMI X2 has the exact same specs with a slightly bigger screen I'm very tempted.

This camera comparison gives the UMI X2 the slight edge.
    http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/14/jiayu-g4-vs-umi-x2-camera-shootout/

I'm not buying for about another month but I'm seriously considering it.

Umi-X2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

I think one problem with the UMI is so tin that its liable for the screen to crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I think one problem with the UMI is so tin that its liable for the screen to crack.
    I know we had a report of that here, but surely they've moved on to proper Gorilla Glass (-esque) screens by now?
    The battery was a bit rubbish by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

After reading this thread, I'm nearly sold on the idea of either a Jiayu, Lenovo or UMI.

If I was to go for the Jiayu, is the newest and dearest G4 the one to go for?

Actually, I see the G4 isn't officially launched yet. I need a new phone quite soon and I'm doing my best not to go down to the O2 store and pick up a Lumia 520.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jayjayipl

can offer 50 as it needs to replace screen, let me know if you are still interested...thanks
    Depends on the usage, can get a day and a half normal usage or 2 days feck all usage.

• Advertisement

jayjayipl wrote: »
    can offer 50 as it needs to replace screen, let me know if you are still interested...thanks

Ha no!

I have it on adverts for 115 ill prob get 80-90 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement