Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

feck all options with 4G. plenty of info throughout the last few pages of people looking for similar. I'd wait a few more months for more 4G capable processors to emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Pic from xiaomi note

It will be interesting to see how the 4g version compares as it has a different processor.

I wish that the battery was removable.

Can someone confirm that this will work on all 4g networks here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'm on version 36, don't really notice any problems with it.

RTE news app was also glitchy for me on other devices, you have to uninstall it by going to settings and clearing all content from there.

What a balls, I updated and the email ui is pants. It's similar to gmail app with the user avatars on the left. What's worse is I can't select a bunch of mails and delete them, I have to go into each mail and delete!!!

Any one reccomend an all in one email app for gmail, yahoo and Microsoft exchange accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 30,230 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

K-9 email app might be worth a try, not sure if its any good for exchange though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This new lenovo is seriously nice. No price yet
    http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-k7t-smartphone_p/meri8480.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

corwill wrote: »
    If that's a budget of €150 before p&p (and possible customs/VAT), Jiayu G4S or Lenovo S960 Vibe X is a lot of bang for your buck. If that's your budget all in, then maybe the Xiaomi Redmi 1S.
    I like the look of the Jiayu G4S so wouldn't mind stretching the budget slightly (expecting customs charge) for it. This is the one I'm looking at, do all these phones come unlocked and I won't have to do anything to it first? I've seen people mentioning rooting etc. but I've no idea what that's about or how it's done, am I going to need to do it? Not very tech minded :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What a balls, I updated and the email ui is pants. It's similar to gmail app with the user avatars on the left. What's worse is I can't select a bunch of mails and delete them, I have to go into each mail and delete!!!

Any one reccomend an all in one email app for gmail, yahoo and Microsoft exchange accounts

Ah right I don't use the stock email app. I use CloudMagic. Nice and clean ui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

thebuzz wrote: »
    I like the look of the Jiayu G4S so wouldn't mind stretching the budget slightly (expecting customs charge) for it. This is the one I'm looking at, do all these phones come unlocked and I won't have to do anything to it first? I've seen people mentioning rooting etc. but I've no idea what that's about or how it's done, am I going to need to do it? Not very tech minded :o

Most decent sellers should ship it already rooted, with gapps and an English language ui installed. You'll mainly want root access to uninstall any apps you don't want, but a lot of sellers will strip out the likes of Chinese-language-only apps for you. It'll be unlocked in the sense that you should be able to put in a sim from your network straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ah right I don't use the stock email app. I use CloudMagic. Nice and clean ui

Cheers. I'll try out a few options. I have found that swipping a mail gives the option to delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fadhilhadi

Hi guys, i'm new here. I recently got oneplus one and looking to let go my xiaomi mi3. anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭spartan5397

How much you looking for it? How much use it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

price depending, might be interested. if you post up pics of condition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

fadhilhadi wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm new here. I recently got oneplus one and looking to let go my xiaomi mi3. anyone?

I would be interested too, was thinking about buying one from xiaomi website. Googling reviews and came across this thread.

How much you looking for it? How much use it have?

PM sent

unaaine wrote: »
    I would be interested too, was thinking about buying one from xiaomi website. Googling reviews and came across this thread.

PM sent

RossieMan wrote: »
    price depending, might be interested. if you post up pics of condition etc.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah I'll take an aul PM too if they're going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Anyone any thoughts on this:

Huawei Honor 6

I thought this was cheap until the last 5 minutes:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Huawei-Honor-6-Kirin-920-octa-core-4G-LTE-phone-3GB-Ram-16GB-Rom-Android-4-4-5-034-/251631922177?ssPageName=ADME:X:ONA:GB:1123

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Hi all,

Been browsing this thread for a couple of days and fining it really interesting. I'm currently using an Acer Liquid GLow which is on its last legs really despite a few factory resets (one of the physical buttons is on the go too...) so seeing some nicely specced phones here is great because I don't have a lot of money to spend on whatever replaces the Acer.

I have a couple of questions though that I would really appreciate some help with. One is, is it possible to take off whatever ROM the Chinese manufacturer installs and just install the "fresh from Google" barebones Android system? My Acer ROM was left stock by Acer so it's all nice and tidy. Is that possible to do yourself if the manufacturer has put on their own own ROM?

The second question is, should I be concerned about WCDMA vs HSDPA with the phones? I've tried to do some reading on this but I'm not sure if they are compatible etc. I'm on Three...last thing I'd want is for the phone to not work with the network even though I'm trying to crosscheck specs with my Acer (I'm remember a previous post about someone buying a phone and it not working with a Three sim card).

I'm thinking of buying either the Xiaomi Redmi 1S or the Lenovo A8 A806 (Golden Warrior). What would ye recommend?

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been browsing this thread for a couple of days and fining it really interesting. I'm currently using an Acer Liquid GLow which is on its last legs really despite a few factory resets (one of the physical buttons is on the go too...) so seeing some nicely specced phones here is great because I don't have a lot of money to spend on whatever replaces the Acer.

I have a couple of questions though that I would really appreciate some help with. One is, is it possible to take off whatever ROM the Chinese manufacturer installs and just install the "fresh from Google" barebones Android system? My Acer ROM was left stock by Acer so it's all nice and tidy. Is that possible to do yourself if the manufacturer has put on their own own ROM?

The second question is, should I be concerned about WCDMA vs HSDPA with the phones? I've tried to do some reading on this but I'm not sure if they are compatible etc. I'm on Three...last thing I'd want is for the phone to not work with the network even though I'm trying to crosscheck specs with my Acer (I'm remember a previous post about someone buying a phone and it not working with a Three sim card).

I'm thinking of buying either the Xiaomi Redmi 1S or the Lenovo A8 A806 (Golden Warrior). What would ye recommend?

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading :)

The problem someone had with 3 was a strange one, because the phone certainly supported the sim card. You shouldn't have any issues using a 3 sim with either of those phones you mentioned unless 3 are blocking phones or something.

Is 4G something you're looking for? That's one of the main selling points of the Lenovo A8 806, it you don't care for it then there would be alternatives with better screens/design etc

The networks you need to look for are 900/2100mhz for 3g, and 800/1800 for 4g.

You can easily install Nova launcher to make your phone look like stock android, won't be exactly the same throughout but the menus/app drawer will be.

You're a star Spix thanks for replying.

4G is no big deal for me really - what are the other alternatives to the Lenovo in the same €150ish price range?

I wouldn't be looking at anything larger than 5 inch in screen size to be honest.

(Both the Lenovo and Xiamoi work on 900/2100mhz range it seems although they use WCDMA so I'm not sure if that's an issue or whether that's standard here on our networks...)

You're a star Spix thanks for replying.

4G is no big deal for me really - what are the other alternatives to the Lenovo in the same €150ish price range?

I wouldn't be looking at anything larger than 5 inch in screen size to be honest.

(Both the Lenovo and Xiamoi work on 900/2100mhz range it seems although they use WCDMA so I'm not sure if that's an issue or whether that's standard here on our networks...)

Which do you care more about? Display quality, ram, storage, speed, battery life etc? There's too many to list without knowing what you're after.

The 2 best all rounders in my opinion would be the Zenfone 5 (2gb/16gb version) and the Xiaomi redmi 1s.

The Lenovo a806 is still good value if you don't plan to use 4g but it uses a cheap display and the design is well.. not great :) If neither of those bother you then you still get alot for your money.

What do I care most about? My Acer is dog slow so any newer phone will beat it's processing speed. A good screen is important alright, I find the Acer good so any step backwards would ruin the experience in that regard. Apps continually get bigger so internal storage is important, needs to have external too.
    Battery life needs to be some way decent but it's not a deal breaker either.

The Asus zenphone 5 looks class but I think I'd nearly prefer the size of the redmi m1. Time to get out the ruler!

As regards the Lenovo screen, what's the story there? I don't mind the design of it but never saw screen issues in any of the very short reviews of it.

Thanks again for your help.

What do I care most about? My Acer is dog slow so any newer phone will beat it's processing speed. A good screen is important alright, I find the Acer good so any step backwards would ruin the experience in that regard. Apps continually get bigger so internal storage is important, needs to have external too.
    Battery life needs to be some way decent but it's not a deal breaker either.

The Asus zenphone 5 looks class but I think I'd nearly prefer the size of the redmi m1. Time to get out the ruler!

As regards the Lenovo screen, what's the story there? I don't mind the design of it but never saw screen issues in any of the very short reviews of it.

Thanks again for your help.

The screen isn't terrible by any stretch but it's just lower quality than most other phones at the $200 mark. You can tell by how it appears lighter grey when turned off. It'll have worse contrast and won't be as good in sunlight. It's also not OGS so there's an air gap between the screen and glass. This will lead to worse viewing angles, touch response and the screen feels a bit plasticky when tapped. These are all minor niggles though :pac:

The redmi 1s has this kind of screen too but it's cheaper so forgivable. Lenovo puts better quality screens on their other phones in this price range so this must be where they cut costs to get 4G in at a reasonable price.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats excellent thanks and I might go for it, will think about it over the weekend when I can get to a pc to have a proper look.

PLEASE dont hesitate to post anything else you find in the meantime, Ive got the new phone shakes now! :D

This must just have been released

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-4G-FDD-LTE-Phone-Lenovo-S856-Snapdragon-400-Quad-Core-1-2GHz-5-5-inch/2032361121.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Discodog wrote: »
    Only a 1.2 processor.

Snapdragon Quad Core, but it has 4G.

5.5in screen, 2500mah battery.

I think I might manage the grey version, not sure I would like the gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

Hi all, a new comer to this forum looking for advice. I have a budget of €250 incl delivery and am on the verge of buying the Xiaomi Mi3. Priorities for me incl. processor speed, good screen, display quality, storage, decent camera, good battery life. It doesn't support 4g but that's not a deal breaker given that I'm with 3 and am not sure how good their 4g really is. Wondering if there's any issues with this phone or if there's anything else out there that might offer better value for money. I'd prefer screen size of 5" or less. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement